• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Women should vote for Hillary (self-interest)

Bucky

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
A large body of research has been devoted to answering a fundamental question: Do women substantively represent women more effectively than men do? In hundreds of studies examining large data sets of roll call votes, bill sponsorship, laws enacted and other measures the answer is clear. “Across time, office, and political parties,” political scientist Beth Reingold writes in a comprehensive review, “women, more often than men, take the lead on women's issues, no matter how such issues are defined.”

Certainly part of the explanation is that women voters care about many issues, not just “women's issues.” Still, their aversion to explicitly advocating for themselves, I suspect, stems from fear of being labeled selfish. From childhood, women imbibe the notion that selfishness, like ambition, make them unlikable and untrustworthy. This may be part of how we get to a moment in which white working-class men's overwhelming support for Trump or Sanders is called a “movement,” while women's support for Clinton is dismissed as touchy-feely “identity politics.”

Why women should vote for women - LA Times

Very interesting article.

The Trump and Sanders campaigns aren't just made up of 'white men'. That's absurd.

It irks me that people like to smear Trump and Sanders supports as just "racist, sexist, old white people", when that's clearly not the case.

I'll continue to support Bernie Sanders. No way am I supporting Hillary's campaign in any shape or form. I'm not part of a hive mind: I think for myself.

Last edited:
It should be noted that liberals generally get rejected by those on the right as representing pandering touchy-feely identity politics. Why? Because that's pretty much what they do.

I suppose men should vote for men. Should we vote by race as well? How about religion? I am Catholic. Should I vote for Catholics? What about the party people who vote party. Should we confuse them with this new revelation. Sounds prejudice to me. I think I will stick with voting for the best person as long as they are male, Polish, Catholic, and are over 50. We cannot overlook age. Us old folk should not vote for some young whippersnapper. Interesting to say the least. What will be next?::(

I suppose men should vote for men. Should we vote by race as well? How about religion? I am Catholic. Should I vote for Catholics? What about the party people who vote party. Should we confuse them with this new revelation. Sounds prejudice to me. I think I will stick with voting for the best person as long as they are male, Polish, Catholic, and are over 50. We cannot overlook age. Us old folk should not vote for some young whippersnapper. Interesting to say the least. What will be next?::(

Yup, vote for your own, **** everyone else. What would happen if we didn't? We might not get that completely unnecessary coverage in a government power grab bill, and we can't have that.

our last catholic president was a true leader. I say, as a confirmed catholic, we should all vote for catholic candidates.

Seems like a way to drum up votes for Hillary to me. Also sounds sexist to me.

It does indeed. And to think, in another thread I was lambasted just hours ago as being outrageous for suggesting Hillary's "3AM" ad back in '08 was racist...
People need to begin to realize the rampant psychopathy of the Clinton dynasty. She's probably pissed she didn't get an invitation to the Vatican.

The "you're internally sexist if you don't vote for Hillary" thing aimed at women from the Hillary camp is getting really tiresome.

While it is true women are less likely to want to implement draconian anti-woman laws, obviously, that is only one subject out of many, Hillary's opponent happens to be a rare man who has an even better track record for women's issues than she does (male feminists: they're a thing, and I'm not sexist enough to think otherwise), and presidents are not Congress and they don't make laws. Seriously, people need to stop obsessing over the presidency so much and pay more attention to the Congress critters they're electing. That's what really makes the difference. But anyway...

If women should vote for women simply because they're women and somehow all woman are good for women's issues, then Michelle Bachmann wouldn't have been a thing. Women are individual people. As a group, they are less likely to support anti-woman policy and more likely to support feminist policy. But that says nothing about an individual candidate. Any given individual woman candidate is not simply a pile of statistics lumped into a woman-shaped body. They are individuals. Hillary the individual is definitely no better than Sanders the individual on most women's issues, and on some women's issues he's actually better than she is.

I will not be voting for a variety of reasons. But if I were, I could not in good conscience vote for the sell-out corporate candidate who also just so happens to have an abysmal record on other areas of human rights, like race relations. I'll also point out Hillary did the standard cowardly Dem thing when it came to SSM and just sort of avoided the question and defended DADT, where Sanders has been an outspoken LGBT rights supporter since the 70's, voted against DADT, and came out in favor of SSM promptly. Pretending for the sake of argument that it were even true that Hillary is the more feminist candidate, what makes me more important than black people or LGBT folk?

So if we want to compare civil rights records, Sanders beats her in all of them. And I'm supposed to vote for her because she has a vagina?

...Seems rather sexist to me.

Look. I would LOVE to support a female presidential candidate. Dude, seriously, it's 2016, and it's insane that we still haven't had a woman as president when women make up half the population. If Warren had run, I would have supported her. But I can't in good conscience support an inferior candidate simply because she has a vagina. I am really frickin' tired of being told I'm a sexist for that, after spending a decade of my life championing women's issues.

Last edited:
Thanks, but I vote for brains instead of genitals.

Brain matter does not work anymore with Trump's history of insulting women.

I really dislike articles like this and the intention behind it. Following this criteria all white men should vote for trump and all black men shouldnt vote because there is no black person running. Stupidity, no one should vote for anyone because they are Female, Male, white black, democrat or republican, thats why we are in the mess were in and thats how politicians easily manipulate our dumbass's we worry about one single issue that WE WANT and it doesnt matter if the person that says their for it will send the country down the tube.

I am an independent, I vote for WHOEVER I determine is the best candidate screw the party gender, race,BS

We have to identify the role government is to play. If we want it to interfere with every aspect of our lives, including women's issues, then perhaps we must take gender, political ideology, race and religion into consideration. If we see government's role to first and foremost keeping us safe and upholding our constitution, sexism has not place in deciding whom to vote for.
It seems that both Clinton and Trump fail hopelessly.

Interesting article, though, I am not sure .... I had thought similarly a long time ago, but....
But anything to prevent BS from taking over the White House, i guess. So sure.

Heh, "BS", that's pretty appropriate.

Back
Top Bottom