• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Women in Rock

Redress

Liberal Fascist For Life!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
SO the poll thread Noodle started got me thinking about some of my favorite women musicians, vocalists and bands in rock music. Please post some video's of your favorite women in rock music. For me, metal is king, so some of my favorites:

I'm at work (yes, not working) so I can't post video, but here's a few of my favorites. I'll try to post videos later.

Lacey Sturm of Flyleaf

laceyqy1.jpg

Sarah Anthony of The Letter Black

sarahanthony1.jpg

Korey Cooper and Jen Ledger, both of Skillet

skillet23501.jpg

Edith Piaf, Natalie Merchant, Grace Slick, Annie Lennox, Joanie Mitchell, Tina Turner, and Joan Baez.

I once had a female sword, I think her name was Excalibur, she was in rock. :mrgreen:

My favorite women singers are/were Britain's leading ladies of folk rock--the Late Great Sandy Denny of Fairport convention, the multi octave Goddess of Steeleye SPan, Maddy Prior, and Renaissance's Annie Haslam-another 5 octave diva.

Sandy was the only guest artist to record with Led Zepp (Battle for Evermore with Plant)

Early Grace Slick is tops for harder stuff- the "when the earth moves again" she did at Winterland (great harmonies with Paul et al)

YouTube - Jefferson Airplane - When The Earth Moves Again

I saw the pretenders on their Debut tour

Here's Sandy doing a trad brit song about adultery and murder called Matty Groves

YouTube - Fairport Convention - Matty Groves

and Maddy doing some interesting vocal gymnasitics in another old British tune (fairport did a different take on this) called Tam Lin

the song takes several turns-the first four minutes are best IMHO

YouTube - Tam Lin - Steeleye Span

O.K. Bette is not really rock but this is one of my fav songs

Just saw In This Moment in concert, and damn that was a good show. Best show I've ever been too, they brought the ****ing house down. :rock

Stevie Nicks, Janis Joplin, Joan Jett.

Yay.. I really like Babes in Toyland and Lunachicks are cool

Sonic Youth
Garage
Luscious Jackson

Tina Weymouth is my fave

tina-weymouth.jpg

I also like Régine Chassagne

B1mDBrxW8fS._SL600_.jpg

I like some Ani DiFranco. I saw her in concert once and she was great.

She is a very good guitarist, and she writes all her own music..

She is cool in concert because she talks to the audience about stuff and tries to relate. The audience was a nice mixture of people from all walks of life.. I was kind of surprised by that, because I went with some hairy feminists and I was worried I would stick out.. lol

Last edited:
Liv Kristine.. she has such a pretty voice

I love this song.. I have always said I want some of it played at my wedding. :mrgreen:

.. and here she is live, singing in German, but her singing partner can't keep up in German
(they are Norwegian, but Liv now lives in Germany)

L'ame Immorelle

I really like this band..

The singer, Sonja is from Austria.. and the lyrics are often in German

In English.. this song sounds kind of like Evanescence

Back
Top Bottom