• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Women: Describe The Diff. U Feel About Yourselves Dressed To Kill vs. T-Shirt & Jeans

rhinefire

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
My good friend told me last night she feels like two women when she goes all out to look her best. She goes to alot of events attended by some fairly wel off residents in this area. Typically she is a t-shirt / shorts person and very down to earth. I quizzed her on it and one thing stood out is she said women never tire of compliments on their looks. That struck me because she rarely "dolls up" and rarely wears any make up even going to work. I asked her if was ego and she said no, that is for men. I remember a couple women that truely believed they were a gift to the world but I always sensed a touch of bitterness in them when they were dressed to the max. I am not trying to figure the female mind but when an attractive women looks in the mirro without makeup she is still attractive yet she then will start the process of changing her naural beauty-I'm not sure I'll ever understand that.

Re: Women: Describe The Diff. U Feel About Yourselves Dressed To Kill vs. T-Shirt & J

My good friend told me last night she feels like two women when she goes all out to look her best. She goes to alot of events attended by some fairly wel off residents in this area. Typically she is a t-shirt / shorts person and very down to earth. I quizzed her on it and one thing stood out is she said women never tire of compliments on their looks. That struck me because she rarely "dolls up" and rarely wears any make up even going to work. I asked her if was ego and she said no, that is for men. I remember a couple women that truely believed they were a gift to the world but I always sensed a touch of bitterness in them when they were dressed to the max. I am not trying to figure the female mind but when an attractive women looks in the mirro without makeup she is still attractive yet she then will start the process of changing her naural beauty-I'm not sure I'll ever understand that.

men have no chance understanding women..because women don't understand themselves...

Too much make up looks ghastly..it's a front..a mask..

I feel better with no make-up on...sitting by the side of a river with flowers in my hair...

Re: Women: Describe The Diff. U Feel About Yourselves Dressed To Kill vs. T-Shirt & J

being one who rarely dresses up or wears make up, its usually done to highlight ones best features. I personally dont understand those who layer it on and hide who they really are. But thats just me.

Dressed to kill? Dressed to the max? You mean like - the little black dress with stilettos and makeup? Wear that too much - for no reason - and I start to wonder if someone's really a cheap corner hooker.

Why bother in your daily life? There's a time and a place for everything and grocery shopping at Walmart isn't it.

I get plenty of attention - without ever being 'dressed to kill' and 'dressed to the max' - even dressed in my scummy work clothes I get attention. LOL

The only thing that changes is the TYPE of person who gives you attention when you're wearing A B X Y - that changes drastically. I don't think I'd want the attention of guys who only notice when a woman is ready for the streets.

I enjoy looking at a woman dressed to kill.

Do you enjoy waking up to them next morning??

Well them has been replaced by her but yes I did and do.

Ah come on BS...did they rush off into the bathroom...get made up..dressed to kill at 8 am in the morning..

Quite frankly..I couldn't be arsed..

Ah come on BS...did they rush off into the bathroom...get made up..dressed to kill at 8 am in the morning..

Quite frankly..I couldn't be arsed..

Makeup enhances beauty it does not create it. Dressing nice does the same.

Makeup enhances beauty it does not create it. Dressing nice does the same.

So you've never known a beautiful woman without the need for ''make-up'' and a silken nude body..

So you've never known a beautiful woman without the need for ''make-up'' and a silken nude body..

A beautiful woman does not "need" makeup, she just highlights her beauty with it when properly applied. I'm not saying I don't like a nice looking woman with no makeup in jeans and a t shirt but there is a time and place to "gussy up". :lol:

Re: Women: Describff. U Feel About Yourselves Dressed To Kill vs. T-Shirt & Jeans

I like dressing up as much as the next person, but I actually get approached by men more often when I'm not "trying". I wear very little makeup and while I dress nicely for work, I don't go to extraordinary lengths.

I am just a jeans and T-shirt kind of gal. I can be ready to go out to.a nice dinner in less than an hour, and only that much time because of shower time.

I never understood the high maintenance types, myself.

Re: Women: Describff. U Feel About Yourselves Dressed To Kill vs. T-Shirt & Jeans

I dress for work--expensive, tailored, accessorized--because it gives me confidence. And I won't leave the house bare-faced or without perfume.

At home I'm an ultra-slob. I love old men's shirts with pockets, and my fave is hideous, an orange and brown plaid shirt I paid $5 for at Walmart going on ten years ago. Sadly, it has so many little holes now that I can't even wear it to the grocery store. It's great to be able to wipe your hands on your shirt and pants. :mrgreen:

I think it all depends on many things. I've felt super sexy all dolled up with makeup on and I've also felt sexy in yoga pants, a tank top, my hair all rolled up on top of my head and no makeup on. It all depends on who you're with, what you're feeling at that given time and how comfortable you are in your own skin.

men have no chance understanding women..because women don't understand themselves...

Too much make up looks ghastly..it's a front..a mask..

I feel better with no make-up on...sitting by the side of a river with flowers in my hair...

:rofl

THIS coming from the woman who claims she wears 8-inch stiletto heels.

Your first stumbling block is assuming all women experience this.

Women are not a homogenous mass. And if you assume they are and then set out trying to figure out "women" as a homogenous mass, you will always fail, because women are individuals.

Personally, your friend is from some other planet compared to me.

I feel weird dressed up, honestly. I don't know why the hell I'm supposed to be doing it apart from the fact that I'm required to. I don't look or feel like myself. I feel more self-conscious dressed up and wearing make-up than I do without.

And comments on my looks are really, really annoying and unwelcome. I don't want to hear it.

I dress in a way that I think suits me and that I feel good in, but it's kind of a subconscious process. I don't "think" about my clothes. I just like them, and they don't make me look funny.

I never wear make-up unless it's for costume and I can really go crazy and do something cool.

If I'm going out as me, I want to look like me. I don't wake up in the morning with a "face" on, so I don't go out with one on either.

I think I look fine. Apparently I'm "attractive." That's cool I guess.

I just wish people would stop commenting on it, or assuming I care about it.

Last edited:

:rofl

THIS coming from the woman who claims she wears 8-inch stiletto heels.

I do..didn't say I wore them in the bath or horseriding though!!

Dressed to kill? Dressed to the max? You mean like - the little black dress with stilettos and makeup? Wear that too much - for no reason - and I start to wonder if someone's really a cheap corner hooker.

Why bother in your daily life? There's a time and a place for everything and grocery shopping at Walmart isn't it.

I get plenty of attention - without ever being 'dressed to kill' and 'dressed to the max' - even dressed in my scummy work clothes I get attention. LOL

The only thing that changes is the TYPE of person who gives you attention when you're wearing A B X Y - that changes drastically. I don't think I'd want the attention of guys who only notice when a woman is ready for the streets.

You would trash the sunrise. The only mention of "cheap" and "hooker" is you.

Your first stumbling block is assuming all women experience this.

Women are not a homogenous mass. And if you assume they are and then set out trying to figure out "women" as a homogenous mass, you will always fail, because women are individuals.

Personally, your friend is from some other planet compared to me.

I feel weird dressed up, honestly. I don't know why the hell I'm supposed to be doing it apart from the fact that I'm required to. I don't look or feel like myself. I feel more self-conscious dressed up and wearing make-up than I do without.

And comments on my looks are really, really annoying and unwelcome. I don't want to hear it.

I dress in a way that I think suits me and that I feel good in, but it's kind of a subconscious process. I don't "think" about my clothes. I just like them, and they don't make me look funny.

I never wear make-up unless it's for costume and I can really go crazy and do something cool.

If I'm going out as me, I want to look like me. I don't wake up in the morning with a "face" on, so I don't go out with one on either.

I think I look fine. Apparently I'm "attractive." That's cool I guess.

I just wish people would stop commenting on it, or assuming I care about it.

You need to back off with your accusations that originate from a life of frustration and self degradation. How does that set with you as you lash out on a post that is nothing more than a passing thought/question? Interesting choice of word, "homogeneous". Your word, not mine and excuse me but men and women talk about each other in very general terms like "men" and "women". Pull your head out form under your pillow.

I dress for work--expensive, tailored, accessorized--because it gives me confidence. And I won't leave the house bare-faced or without perfume.

At home I'm an ultra-slob. I love old men's shirts with pockets, and my fave is hideous, an orange and brown plaid shirt I paid $5 for at Walmart going on ten years ago. Sadly, it has so many little holes now that I can't even wear it to the grocery store. It's great to be able to wipe your hands on your shirt and pants. :mrgreen:

Love it! Great post!

You need to back off with your accusations that originate from a life of frustration and self degradation. How does that set with you as you lash out on a post that is nothing more than a passing thought/question? Interesting choice of word, "homogeneous". Your word, not mine and excuse me but men and women talk about each other in very general terms like "men" and "women". Pull your head out form under your pillow.

You asked "why do women..." I'm not accusing you of anything. I'm working from the premise you started this thread on. Gee, defensive, aren't we.

Remind me, how am I degrading myself by proposing that women are individual? I'm really confused on that one.

Yes, some do speak in those terms, and those terms are stupid. They are probably also the reason so many of them can't get on with each other.

You would trash the sunrise. The only mention of "cheap" and "hooker" is you.

LOL - yes - I was delivering my thoughts. Glad you noticed I wasn't putting words in someone else's mouth :)

Rhine - your original post doesn't help this thread out any because you're unclear . . . . maybe I should have done this with my first reply:

You're saying 'dolled up' - 'dressed for fancy occasion' - 'dressed to kill' - and 'dressed to the max' as if they're all the same thing.

None of these are the same thing to me - vastly different. I've dolled up, dressed for the fancy occasion, dressed for business, dressed sexy for a date - but I have never 'dressed to kill' and 'dressed to the max'

Most women do NOT 'dress to kill' and 'dress to the max' . . . very different realms of clothing/makeup are required for that.

My good friend told me last night she feels like two women when she goes all out to look her best. She goes to alot of events attended by some fairly wel off residents in this area.

This is saviore fair - she knows how she's expected to look and dresses the part. I'm assuming she's not 'dressed to the max' - I'm assuming she's just blending in. If it's a black and white event - odds are she's wearing a nice dress, nice shoes, a moderate amount of makeup - nothing too excessive.

If you were to wear jeans/tshirt and then dawn a suit/tie on occasion how do you feel? Do the clothes and overall attitude you have to present while going to a formal even make you feel different than you do when you're just going about a routine day? Odds are - yes - you feel different. Most people do.

Typically she is a t-shirt / shorts person and very down to earth. I quizzed her on it and one thing stood out is she said women never tire of compliments on their looks.

Well she's a good sport about it - some women get very tired of compliments on their looks. This is probably because some men compliment - while others leer and make sleazy come-ons.

That struck me because she rarely "dolls up" and rarely wears any make up even going to work.
Well - it seems that she only dresses up for certain occasions as you mentioned before - I assume you mean 'dolling up' is wearing the appropriate clothing/makeup for the occasion?

To many people being 'dolled up' means going out of your way to dress to impress an individual or group - like going to a football game with your guy friends and dressing to impress them though it doesn't fit the surrounding occasion.

Compliments can be given no matter what you're wearing. I get compliments when I'm wearing just jeans/tshirt.

I asked her if was ego and she said no, that is for men.
Do you mean ego - for her - when she receives a compliment and enjoys it? It could just be her receiving a compliment and taking it happily.

I'm not sure what she means about ego being for guys, though.

I remember a couple women that truely believed they were a gift to the world but I always sensed a touch of bitterness in them when they were dressed to the max.

Well this doesn't sound like your friend. Though I'm not sure what you mean by 'dressed to the max' - this can vary widely based on the individual. What's your view of it? What are you thinking of when you say this?

This sounds like some women either have to dress for the occasion (work/date) and get bothered when people give frequent compliments - again - this might be because some 'compliments' are just cheap come-ons that are unwelcomed/offensive sexual advances. (Either they really ARE - or the person perceives them to BE)

Example:
I was at the store - tank top and short-shorts a few years ago. My key broke off in the door lock, I couldn't drive home. I had to walk. A lot of young guys did cat-calls and remarks about my ass as they drove by. I ended up crying and was humiliated even though nothing they said was like 'hey fatty - you look horrid in that ****' - it was all crude, but still on the positive side. I still felt it was insulting and demeaning, though.

Thus - you'll never see me wear a pair of shorts like that in public.

THAT is very different than when I wear jeans/tank top to the store and some guy says 'Wow, your beautiful' - that's just a compliment.

I prefer the compliments - don't like the derisive remarks.

I am not trying to figure the female mind but when an attractive women looks in the mirro without makeup she is still attractive yet she then will start the process of changing her naural beauty-I'm not sure I'll ever understand that.

And to this - women wear makeup for different reasons. I don't wear any and years ago when this came up in a debate a business-woman told me that 'wearing makeup to work is a way to complete your professional outfit. Going without makeup means you're undone and unfinished - like a guy in a suit without the dress shoes and tie.'

Yet at the same time - some women don't go a moment in their daily life outside the home without makeup on. I had a friend in highschool who was like this - she felt like wearing makeup was like wearing clothes. She felt naked without it.

Last edited:

A rare occasion when we are in near-total agreement... :mrgreen:

A rare occasion when we are in near-total agreement... :mrgreen:

LOL - well look at the breakdown of his OP - he used 5 terms to describe 'dressing nice' - and all 5 have very different connotations. This post hacks into more of the male psyche (everything's the same) rather than the female mind.

And then throw this in: my husband doesn't like it when I wear makeup (even if it's just a tiny, moderate amount to complete a business-outfit) . . . he doesn't like it when I wear dresses/skirts. He likes me in jeans and a t-shirt.

I occasionally like to dress up - a pretty dress, some heels - when we go out together . . . and he can't stand it. Go figure :roll: I end up with the one guy who doesn't like their woman to make an effort. Oh - but when he catches me at my worst wearing my scummy work clothes while building cabinets he thinks I'm being SEXY. LOL

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom