• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Women Aren't Funny

Celebrity

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

This young lady opens up her video with Hitchens' argument that women do not have to be funny in order to attract men. Men are funny because they have to be. Women are not funny, because they don't have to be funny.

I think it's generally true that men feel they have to be funny, so they go through the trouble of trying to learn to be funny, while women know they can just get a man by just looking good.

Anyway, I can't say I find female comedians funny, but I couldn't tell you why though. Their jokes most of the time just make me roll my eyes or get no real response from me at all.

This young lady opens up her video with Hitchens' argument that women do not have to be funny in order to attract men. Men are funny because they have to be. Women are not funny, because they don't have to be funny.

Ooh it's Shoe0nHead. I like her content.

Hard to argue with someone's personal experience, so I believe her from that point of view... but anecdotes don't add up to trends necessarily. If you look at traditional dating, then her statement ties into chivalry. Men are supposed to be charistmatic and humorous in the dating world, while women are expected to take on more passive, helpless roles. Humor that's one-sided and constantly delivered is part of that chivalry culture of dominance, but it's different if two people are building humor together.

It depends on what people are seeking in a relationship. I've met people who have such strict rules about dating, and have really formal dating experiences. Other people just hang out and shoot the **** and then end up getting married somewhere down the line.

I'm wary of the OP video's generalizations.

Not to mention pretty.

That too, but the comedy is actually more important to me. I don't know if most men don't need women to be funny to date them, but I won't date someone who can't make me laugh. That isn't saying much, given how easy it is to make me laugh, but still.

That too, but the comedy is actually more important to me. I don't know if most men don't need women to be funny to date them, but I won't date someone who can't make me laugh. That isn't saying much, given how easy it is to make me laugh, but still.

I can agree with that. I definitely am not with my GF soley for her looks. That's a pretty stupid thing to do, IMO.

This may sound a bit cliché, but I think that personality is what really matters in a relationship. Because you can be a good-looking guy/girl and be a unbearable person to go on a date/have a relationship with.

I can agree with that. I definitely am not with my GF soley for her looks. That's a pretty stupid thing to do, IMO.

This may sound a bit cliché, but I think that personality is what really matters in a relationship. Because you can be a good-looking guy/girl and be a unbearable person to go on a date/have a relationship with.

You're right, that DID sound cliche!

However, it was also true. While I do value looks quite a bit (both in others and in myself), I always look for humor first in a possible romantic partner. After already being drawn to them by looks, but you know what I mean.

You're right, that DID sound cliche!

However, it was also true. While I do value looks quite a bit (both in others and in myself), I always look for humor first in a possible romantic partner. After already being drawn to them by looks, but you know what I mean.

Yep. It's like that other cliché saying: it matters what's on the inside, not the outside.

Eh. I think that argument is true, but only up to a point. Personality plays a bigger role if it's going to be an actual relationship as opposed to a one night stand.

Personally I'm going to be single until I die so I'm probably not the person to ask about relationship stuff tho.

I think a sense of humor, everything else being equal, makes a woman much more attractive. And I don't mean so much in the sense of being a stand-up comedian, or always telling jokes. Teri Garr comes to mind, in the roles she played when she was fairly young. She would put on a puzzled frown, make funny faces, toss off witty little quips, maybe bungle something--and the overall effect was so damn cute and girly! I would find myself wishing the women I met would have some of that same funny personality that often came through in her characters. Earlier, Carole Lombard did something similar with her characters--some zany, funny quality about the rich daughter she plays in My Man Godfrey, for example, makes her even more appealing than she was just based on her looks.

Eh. I think that argument is true, but only up to a point. Personality plays a bigger role if it's going to be an actual relationship as opposed to a one night stand.

Personally I'm going to be single until I die so I'm probably not the person to ask about relationship stuff tho.

I tell myself that when I'm at the gym and no one is talking. Sorry ladies, I just came to work out, not engage in complex social rituals.

Is that Boxxy all grown up?

I know ill catch a lot of crap here...but I'm used to it :mrgreen: So....does that theory also explain why there aren't any great original female musicians or instrumentalists? Or very few I should say. We all know Mozart and Beethoven, but there's no female equivalent.

I had an ex GF who was pretty funny as well as a woman co-worker in another office. They were funny in very different ways.

She grew up quite well if that's her.

Yeah, and lost some baby fat. I assume her make up is only going to improve with age... or stay the same.
142923260059.jpg

I think it's generally true that men feel they have to be funny, so they go through the trouble of trying to learn to be funny, while women know they can just get a man by just looking good.

Anyway, I can't say I find female comedians funny, but I couldn't tell you why though. Their jokes most of the time just make me roll my eyes or get no real response from me at all.

I never enjoy female comedians either. I cannot determine why - yet I do not.

I know ill catch a lot of crap here...but I'm used to it :mrgreen: So....does that theory also explain why there aren't any great original female musicians or instrumentalists? Or very few I should say. We all know Mozart and Beethoven, but there's no female equivalent.

Mozart and Beethoven lived in a time when women weren't taught music. They were taught to sew and breastfeed and not much else. Today, there are plenty of incredibly talented women in music. When was the last time you saw a reputable symphony orchestra? Close to half of the members of the last one I saw were women.

As to why women aren't funny, most really funny people develop humour as a coping mechanism, and it's something often developed due to feeling isolated. Women are social animals, moreso than men, and will have other coping mechanisms implemented before humour.

I didn't watch the video yet but woman can be hilarious, are you kidding me? LOL
There is probably some truth in on avg woman are less funny because its not as large of a part of societal acceptance or dating, but regardless woman are funny. And for me personally I could never date a girl who wasn't. I mean she doesn't have to be hilarious but she has to at least have a sense of humor and be able to joke.

Anyway as stand up comedians the woem are great!
Wandya Sykes (HILARIOUS)
Amy Schumer
Whoopie Goldberg
Kathleen Madigan
Natash leggero
Whitney Cummings
Chelsea Handler

I didn't watch the video yet but woman can be hilarious, are you kidding me? LOL
There is probably some truth in on avg woman are less funny because its not as large of a part of societal acceptance or dating, but regardless woman are funny. And for me personally I could never date a girl who wasn't. I mean she doesn't have to be hilarious but she has to at least have a sense of humor and be able to joke.

Anyway as stand up comedians the woem are great!
Wandya Sykes (HILARIOUS)
Amy Schumer
Whoopie Goldberg
Kathleen Madigan
Natash leggero
Whitney Cummings
Chelsea Handler

I don't find Amy Schumer very funny and I don't understand why others do.

Back
Top Bottom