• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Women are contributing to their engagement ring.

What do you think about this?

• I am a man, I think it's great

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • I am a man, the men should buy it

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • I am a man, I don't care

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • I am a man I think the man and woman should split it.

• I am a woman, I think it's great

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I am a woman, the men should buy it

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I am a woman, I don't care

• I am a woman I think the man and woman should split it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Women Now Paying for Their Own Engagement Rings - The Cut

I thought this was an interesting social enigma. Traditionally men would purchase an engagement ring with three months of their income. It's really interesting to me that women have taken to picking out helping purchase and even purchasing their own engagement ring. But then again I have seen people pay more for a ring than they do for a brand new car.

What do you think?

I think it means more and more people are broke, and that's causing people to shun tradition.

Are you friggin' kidding me!!!??

What kind of nutless wonder lets his soon to be wife chip in for the ring?

What kind of nutless wonder attaches his manhood to his ability to buy a ring ... or thinks that his value to a woman is dependant on him buying her stuff.

sounds like a trick to me.

You are right in that they aren't practical at all, it's just symbolic, and you know us women- we're suckers for symbolic gestures. :lol:

Yeah, and expensive, I bought my fiance a diamond, but I know that she would have been happy with anything else, as long as it came from my heart, the price had nothing to do with it and I know that (had I bought a more flashy one, she probably would have had me return it for a more modest one).

diamonds have become important for marraige because debeers has campained to turn relationships into commodities.

The diamond engagement ring is a symbol of a man's capacity to support a household. If she can support herself, and she intends to support herself in the marriage, then the big rock is meaningless.

Most couples don't have a ton of resources starting out. Rather than spending $3,000 on a ring and $30,000 on a wedding, wouldn't they be much better off saving that money towards a house?

What kind of nutless wonder attaches his manhood to his ability to buy a ring ... or thinks that his value to a woman is dependant on him buying her stuff.

sounds like a trick to me.

The ability to provide for a spouse and later, a family is the essence of manhood. The purchase and gift of a ring is symbolic (in part) of that commitment to provide and it generally goes over better than a locker full of bloody meat and furs.

The ability to provide for a spouse and later, a family is the essence of manhood. The purchase and gift of a ring is symbolic (in part) of that commitment to provide and it generally goes over better than a locker full of bloody meat and furs.

How about the ability to provide being ... the ability to provide, also more likely than not it's both man and wife providing nowerdays.

The purchasing a ring is really a modern phenomenon, which is really just a Debeers campaign to raise demand for diamonds, essencially guilt tripping men and making women feel entitled, making wasted money the measure of love.

The diamond engagement ring is a symbol of a man's capacity to support a household. If she can support herself, and she intends to support herself in the marriage, then the big rock is meaningless.

Most couples don't have a ton of resources starting out. Rather than spending $3,000 on a ring and $30,000 on a wedding, wouldn't they be much better off saving that money towards a house?

You're speaking of women as if they are rational creatures.

That's adorable.

As a Man, I most definitely believe that He should purchase the engagement ring. Especially if the couple is going to expect her family to contribute largely to the cost of the wedding itself. However, I am a little less traditional when it comes to picking out the ring, as I have no problem with both members of the couple choosing the ring together. In fact, my fiance chose her engagement ring herself, and that has worked out very well.

Im a man, i dont care

thats how i voted

other peoples relationships are non of my freaking business, no rings, big expensive ring or rings the woman pays the man pays who cares thats your decision.

ON a side note, in general rings are absolutely stupid and a complete waste of money

but if i wanted i would get a girl one and i would pay for it but i wouldnt go crazy and i would never marry a girl where the ring mattered much anyway

also having said that, i hit the lottery for millions then we go together and she can get whatever she wants. Still a stupid waste of money but at least it wont effect us

With most couples living together long before marriage, their finances are already mingled. Why wouldn't they discuss the cost of a ring together? What is spent on a ring would have an effect on the household income. I see it as any other major purchase. I wouldn't want my fiancee to go buy a big screen TV, or car without my input.

That said, I picked my own ring from an estate jewelry sale. London blue topaz center stone surrounded by smokey topaz stones for $300.00. Beautiful ring, great price, we're both happy.

I always thought that going through two different rings was just weird.

Back
Top Bottom