• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Women and government

Josie

*probably reading smut*
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
I've been thinking about this ever since the Julia slideshow yesterday.

Why would any woman want the government to control every aspect of their lives? I hear more liberal women always talking about how they don't want government in their bedrooms or their bodies, but more and more liberal women are supporting policies that do just that. Whatever happened to women who simply wanted the freedom to choose their own route in life without the government overseeing and giving permission for every move? Why would anyone think more government intervention is a good thing?

Which policies are liberal women supporting specifically that would "do just that"?

Do you have any specifics josie?

Liberals have been known to be walking contradictions.

Liberals have been known to be walking contradictions.

Page one and well... let the partisan hackery begin...

tumblr_lisc1keEVP1qgnsnbo1_500.gif

Which policies are liberal women supporting specifically that would "do just that"?

Government health care -- why would any woman choose to let the government regulate her personal health decisions? I'd like to make those decisions on my own. I'm a big girl.

Government health care -- why would any woman choose to let the government regulate her personal health decisions? I'd like to make those decisions on my own. I'm a big girl.

Which form of "government health care" are you talking about?

And which decisions do you think are being made for them?

I really don't know how this means the government regulates your personal health decisions.

They don't here.

You get the options available to you and you pick the one that's right for you.

No one forces you to do anything you don't want to.

I really don't know how this means the government regulates your personal health decisions.

They don't here.

You get the options available to you and you pick the one that's right for you.

No one forces you to do anything you don't want to.

There are people who picture them scary socialized medicine countries and literally picture a government bureaucrat without a medical degree deciding which type of care they get. Like the lady at the DMV or something, instead of a doctor.

I'd ask the question in response: "Why would you want to have a for-profit insurance company, who has a financial incentive to not treat you at all, make that decision for you?"

Last edited:
Which form of "government health care" are you talking about?

And which decisions do you think are being made for them?

I'm talking about the government having any power over health care decisions. I don't want to give any more power to government because that gives them the right to pull the strings.

I probably haven't thought this through enough to post. Stream of consciousness..... bear with me.

I probably haven't thought this through enough to post. Stream of consciousness..... bear with me.

I think you may be referring in part to this:

hypocrisy.jpg

With an understanding that the entity which pays for your health care controls you.

Yes, Harshaw... thank you.

And as I'm reading about this "Julia" character, every page of her life is controlled by the government. And it's written as if that's a good thing. When did we become a country where government control over everything is something to be looked at as the American Dream?

I don't know what the "Julia" thing is. Link?

I'm still failing to see where health care decisions are being made for women.

"Why would you want to have a for-profit insurance company, who has a financial incentive to not treat you at all, make that decision for you?"

Great point!

People always scream about "waiting times" for elective surgeries and what not. Has anyone had the pleasure of convincing their respective HMO that they need to have a surgery? I would be completely pissed off to have to send various letters of recommendation to my insurance company in order for them to approve the funding for a surgery that my doctor said i was a candidate for.

Holy flirking snit!

I only got up to 31 before the noxious combination of spit-takes, laughter, and throwing up in my mouth a bit forced me to stop.

You have to be either brain-dead or hooked up to the ultra-liberal Kool-Aid IV (or both) to buy it.

Wow. That was some utterly shameless propaganda right there.

But, yes:

And as I'm reading about this "Julia" character, every page of her life is controlled by the government. And it's written as if that's a good thing. When did we become a country where government control over everything is something to be looked at as the American Dream?

It's a total fantasy for people who want a nanny-state to take care of you from cradle to grave, with no consideration given to the strings which come with it.

What's an example of a decision the government would make for you under government healthcare than you would make for yourself without government healthcare?

Health care would be for everyone and not just women. So how is this a women's issue?

I'm talking about the government having any power over health care decisions. I don't want to give any more power to government because that gives them the right to pull the strings.
You prefer a heath insurance having that control?

I'm not seeing how what you're saying only relates to women.

Holy ****ing flat out distortion. Low interest rate student loans = being controlled by the government? Health insurance coverage through parents = government control of some one? Stop letting Beck do all your ****ing thinking for you.

That is because the argument was rarely seen through the lens in which you are inquiring from. Though I am probably going to bork the explanation.

The movement was redirecting government to alter its perceptions of the woman's unique situation while simultaneously pushing to use that unique situation to not diminish a woman's role in society at large. This would enable a woman, who is still seen as holding a unique station in life, for instance to be granted equality in the workplace, while still being able to claim unique status during times in which the female (and male) demographic argue that women need to be accommodated for.

Frequently with identity groups the argument is it is quite comfortable with government action that is seen as uplift. Lastly, a libertarian viewpoint on a set of issues need not carry over into other areas of politics and law, even should they be of similar nature. Contradictions make up our political philosophies and way of life.

Back
Top Bottom