• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Women’s student debt will soon hit $1 trillion

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

Natalie-Howell-Heather-Cooper-alana-Robinson-Rebecca-Graham-Fnd-Deg-Equine-Science-and-Management-and-Megan-Watson-equine-comp-therapy.jpg

5/21/18

Student debt is on its way to becoming a universally American problem, but there’s more evidence to indicate that it’s a particularly acute challenge for women. The gap between the amount of debt shouldered by male and female graduates has nearly doubled in the past four years, according to a report released Monday by the American Association for University Women. On average, female bachelor’s degree recipients graduated with $2,700 more in debt in 2016 than their male counterparts. That’s up from about a $1,400 gap in 2012. The data adds to the growing body of evidence — much of which has been published by AAUW — that student debt is a women’s issue. Although they make up just 56% of American college students, women hold nearly two-thirds of America’s outstanding student debt, or about $890 billion, and take longer to pay it off. There are a variety of reasons why this is the case, according to Miller. For one, women typically have to rely more on loans to finance college because they earn less from their work before they enter college (if they have a job before they start) and while they’re in school.

And once women graduate college, the gender pay gap continues to play a role. Women working full-time with college degrees earn 26% less than their male colleagues, according to AAUW, delaying their efforts to repay their loans. On average, men paid off roughly 38% of their student between one and four years of graduating college, while women only paid off 31%. All of this means that women aren’t reaping as much financially from their degrees as men, though they’re attending college in higher numbers. That dynamic is the result of a complicated mix of factors, Miller said. Women are getting more degrees because they recognize that they need more education to match men’s earnings, Miller said. But they need to go into debt, and more debt than men, on average, to do so.

Student debt is an ever increasing problem that weighs on the shoulders of college graduates for many many years.

Natalie-Howell-Heather-Cooper-alana-Robinson-Rebecca-Graham-Fnd-Deg-Equine-Science-and-Management-and-Megan-Watson-equine-comp-therapy.jpg

Student debt is an ever increasing problem that weighs on the shoulders of college graduates for many many years.

In part because women graduate at a much higher rate then do men, because universities stock their rainbows by enrolling men who should not be there.....men who fail to graduate and often have debt to pay for being a part of the rainbow.

https://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d16/tables/dt16_326.10.asp

University debt is both a mens and a womens issue, trying to make it a womans issues goes to show how intellectually bankrupt we are now.

University debt is both a mens and a womens issue, trying to make it a womans issues goes to show how intellectually bankrupt we are now.

Just reading the first sentence would have been enough to maybe stop you from highlighting your ignorance.

"Student debt is on its way to becoming a universally American problem, but there’s more evidence to indicate that it’s a particularly acute challenge for women."

That evidence stuff, it sure is a bugger for some, ain't it?

Just reading the first sentence would have been enough to maybe stop you from highlighting your ignorance.

"Student debt is on its way to becoming a universally American problem, but there’s more evidence to indicate that it’s a particularly acute challenge for women."

That evidence stuff, it sure is a bugger for some, ain't it?

If I make a title "blacks have it unfair", but then only talk about economic disparity for working class, benign of race....

Wouldn't a little push back be expected? I mean, I believe that would be called baiting.

it sucks. we're pricing kids out of education, and society is suffering because of it.

well clearly we're not pricing people out of education since college enrollment is almost 40% higher then 20 years ago. I don't call that being priced out.

society is only suffering because we're guaranteeing loans. pull the government out of loans and grants and this problem corrects itself

If I make a title "blacks have it unfair", but then only talk about economic disparity for working class, benign of race....

Wouldn't a little push back be expected? I mean, I believe that would be called baiting.

I think you are trying to make some point here.

well clearly we're not pricing people out of education since college enrollment is almost 40% higher then 20 years ago. I don't call that being priced out. society is only suffering because we're guaranteeing loans. pull the government out of loans and grants and this problem corrects itself
And tuitions would drop. Since the gov't pays it is whatever the traffic will bear. It's a great business./

And tuitions would drop. Since the gov't pays it is whatever the traffic will bear. It's a great business./

Yep.

cutting loans and pell grants in entirety would be GOOD because college tuition would drop to more affordable levels, and so would enrollment, but the reality is many college graduates work jobs where college is not needed to prepare you for and many of the jobs college IS currently needed for used to be structured around vocational training (ie Nurses or engineers) or on the job training. Many students could work their college tuition away over the summer, and those who didn't have much money could often get scholarships from churches or other funds, but because those places have more limited resources they will make sure the prospective student is someone really dedicated who won't blow their money or resources, and so you'd have to show acheivement at High School or the workplace or dedication to the community so they know you're a good investment.

putting so many people in college in government backed loans is a disaster, and eliminating tuition as Helix believes should be done is outright mad.

So these adults are not smart enough not to go into debt but children are smart enough to tell us what our laws should be???

I just want to make sure I have my facts straight.

If you are not smart enough to go to a community college then transfer to another school and work while in school to pay for that education, don't look to me for help.

well clearly we're not pricing people out of education since college enrollment is almost 40% higher then 20 years ago. I don't call that being priced out.

society is only suffering because we're guaranteeing loans. pull the government out of loans and grants and this problem corrects itself

I work with a bunch of kids, and most of them are in debt up to their noses. "Getting the government out" isn't going to fix it.

I work with a bunch of kids, and most of them are in debt up to their noses. "Getting the government out" isn't going to fix it.

no you don't, kids are not legally allowed to sign for debt, so you work with no "kids" who are in debt up to their noses. This is a big distinction, adult decisions made as an adult must be treated like adults.

Yes, getting the government out will fix everything because without state backed security the college loan lenders wouldn't loan money to an 18 year old (who's not a kid,) with no assets and is seeking money for a degree that can't provide employment adequate to repay the loan. you would either need security or a means to convince a lender they will see their money plus interest back.

Last edited:
no you don't, kids are not legally allowed to sign for debt, so you work with no "kids" who are in debt up to their noses. This is a big distinction, adult decisions made as an adult must be treated like adults.

Yes, getting the government out will fix everything because without state backed security the college loan lenders wouldn't loan money to an 18 year old (who's not a kid,) with no assets and is seeking money for a degree that can't provide employment adequate to repay the loan. you would either need security or a means to convince a lender they will see their money plus interest back.

I want to correct this, I thought for sure there was some crooked **** even the feds wouldn't do, turns out I was wrong, The Feds will loanshark minors for "federal student loans" and have voided the infancy defense for payment of federal student loans. So Helix wants more government, the same government that actually is loansharking children. my apologies for this mistake of fact, doesn't change my opinion. the Feds need to get out of education lending.

post secondary education and job training should be treated like high school. a hundred years ago, there were probably a bunch of people saying that we couldn't do that, either. we can, and we did.

post secondary education and job training should be treated like high school. a hundred years ago, there were probably a bunch of people saying that we couldn't do that, either. we can, and we did.

No, it shouldn’t. Post secondary education is more costly and less necessary. Education is subject to the law of diminishing returns. Whatever arguments occurred a hundred years ago are irrelevant to current policy.

Studies have shown the majority of college graduates don’t work within their major, that academic rigor has been lessened to accommodate more students, that the majority of jobs require either no college or specialized training where liberal arts education is a mere distraction, furthermore the cost has skyrocketed and real incomes declined which is largely due to government involvement. “They said it couldn’t be done and by god we overcame, and there’s more mountains to climb, amen brother!” is not an argument against any of that.

No, it shouldn’t. Post secondary education is more costly and less necessary. Education is subject to the law of diminishing returns. Whatever arguments occurred a hundred years ago are irrelevant to current policy.

Studies have shown the majority of college graduates don’t work within their major, that academic rigor has been lessened to accommodate more students, that the majority of jobs require either no college or specialized training where liberal arts education is a mere distraction, furthermore the cost has skyrocketed and real incomes declined which is largely due to government involvement. “They said it couldn’t be done and by god we overcame, and there’s more mountains to climb, amen brother!” is not an argument against any of that.

The interesting thing is that one can learn what's necessary for lucrative careers without university. Mastering the material on HackerRank (click on link) and Kaggle: Your Home for Data Science (click on link) will make you very employable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom