• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Woman sues church over gay marriage

Slartibartfast

Jesus loves you.
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Woman sues church over gay marriage – Religion - CNN.com Blogs

Yvonne Moore not only left Covenant Baptist, where she had worshipped for nearly 40 years: she filed a lawsuit for her weekly tithes because, as she said, "They didn't respect the members enough to listen to us."

Moore said she attended the 2007 commitment ceremony and found it "totally disgusting."
"I don't believe in that, I'm southern Baptist," Moore told CNN's Soledad O'Brien. "The bible speaks against that. You cannot take that in the church."
So she sued the church for a portion of the estimated $250,000 that she estimates she had paid in weekly donations over the past 37 years.

It's interesting. I do believe there were some conservatives that believed that churches would be forced to do gay marriages and now we have a situation where a lady tried to file a lawsuit against a church that allowed it.

As I've said, people may sue over anything. How far it goes depends on the courts, and their bias.

The fact that one woman has filed a suit based on an anti-SSM stance does not mean there won't be future suits against churches that are pro-SSM.

People really are mindless sheep. If your church doesn't give you what you want, and you can't find one that does, quit whining and start your own.

Why in the Hell does this woman think she's entitled to a single dime of the money she's given the church freely over the years?

People really are mindless sheep. If your church doesn't give you what you want, and you can't find one that does, quit whining and start your own.

Why in the Hell does this woman think she's entitled to a single dime of the money she's given the church freely over the years?
Because religious freaks only care about money to begin with - that's what most organized religion is all about IMO - greed and political power. This greedy stupid ****'s actions are no suprise here.

To me, charity is about giving up something for the greater good, regardless of your belief system. When you give money, it's no longer yours. You don't ask for it back, and you give it in good faith.

I find this woman despicable for the way she perceives charity as something you can undo. It's very unchristian.

She feels robbed of her tithes and feels her church experience of all these years was a lie. I mean Gawd for frigging Holy Bid they should marry some gays there. Note she did attend. She was probably being all nosey and wanting to see if gays really do dress better, have better food, etc. *snickers*

Tend to agree. I've left churches before because they adopted positions I didn't agree with; asking for my tithes and offerings back (let alone suing for them) didn't even cross my mind. That's like trying to put spilled milk back in the jug.

I just didn't give them any more of my money, once I reached the point that I no longer agreed with their practices.

At any rate, when I give it is in the hope that the money will go to serve the purposes of God; to aid and comfort those in need and help spread the Gospel. It isn't an investment, it is a gift of love and hope.

This woman is being a bit ridiculous.

Last edited:
Tend to agree. I've left churches before because they adopted positions I didn't agree with; asking for my tithes and offerings back (let alone suing for them) didn't even cross my mind. That's like trying to put spilled milk back in the jug.

I just didn't give them any more of my money, once I reached the point that I no longer agreed with their practices.
Grow up.

At any rate, when I give it is in the hope that the money will go to serve the purposes of God;
Then you're hoping in vain, since he doesn't exist.

to aid and comfort those in need and help spread the Gospel.
The Gospel doesn't provide comfort to those in need - it provides false hope and pseudo-ethics, and does more harm to societies than good. If you wanted to help those in need, you'd keep your Gospel to yourself.
It isn't an investment, it is a gift of love and hope.
Baloney. Don't slander love by equating it with something that superficial.

This woman is being a bit ridiculous.
A bit? Lol.

Grow up.

The Gospel doesn't provide comfort to those in need - it provides false hope and pseudo-ethics, and does more harm to societies than good. If you wanted to help those in need, you'd keep your Gospel to yourself.

A bit? Lol.

Moderator's Warning:
This is not a "let's bash people who believe in God" thread, so don't start taking it there.

To me, charity is about giving up something for the greater good, regardless of your belief system. When you give money, it's no longer yours. You don't ask for it back, and you give it in good faith.

I find this woman despicable for the way she perceives charity as something you can undo. It's very unchristian.

If you give money to a charity that turns out to be not what it claimed, would you feel cheated?

Because religious freaks only care about money to begin with - that's what most organized religion is all about IMO - greed and political power. This greedy stupid ****'s actions are no suprise here.

What a hateful statement.

Probably for the same reason ANYONE reacts with anger to abandonment and betrayal. Whats more comical is the 'outrage' of the people that disagree with the woman. Personally...I DISAGREE with her...and if I were on a jury I wouldnt side with her case. But I can certainly understand why. ANYONE in a long term relationship where the other side or partner suddenly changes the condition of the relationship without regard to their partner would feel the same way...hurt...anger...betrayal.

Heres an idea, lets revoke all churches from their tax exempt status, then they can do whatever the hell they want!

One side note: can I sue my church for not stoning disobedient children? I think it's about time we put the fear of God in this new generation.

Deuteronomy 21:18-21 (KJV):

If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them:
Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place;
And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.
And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.

Grow up.

A bit? Lol.

Vic, this isn't a thread debating the nature of God. I personally agree with you, there probably is no God. But coming into a thread like this and throwing out attacks and insults only makes all atheists look abrasive and combative. Save your ire on threads dedicated to it. This thread could be a chance to legitimately discuss the role of SSM and churches, don't ruin it by turning it into another argument over God existing or not. Start your own thread

Back
Top Bottom