• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Woman Sues After Being Forcibly Stripped by Male Police

RDS

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Your thoughts?
It's illegal for opposite sex officers to conduct the strip search, per Illinois law, so what the two male officers did was out of bounds. Holmes said that she was actually afraid that they would come back in and rape her. Holmes's lawyer is calling the officers' actions "a crime."
The police reports claims that officers strip searched Holmes because she was resisting arrest. But resisting arrest is not legal grounds for a strip search, according to DePaul criminal law professor Len Cavise.
Woman Sues After Being Forcibly Stripped by Male Police

The Police broke the law, by the looks of it conducting the strip search.

From a personal standpoint it looksthey also used excessive force. The video was cut at the point of the police officers taking her down, so it would be premature to say that as a certainty

Hope she gets a big fat settlement.

These officers should be fired, and she should be compensated accordingly.

I think it's pretty clear that this search was not legal under state law, and that this woman is going to take the department to the cleaners.

Hope she gets a big fat settlement.

These officers should be fired, and she should be compensated accordingly.

If the situation is as these two sites make it appear, then this is much more than just a civil tort for which the officers in question should be fired, and they and their department sued.

This appears to be a sexual assault.

Unless there are some facts that make this something very different then it appears, the officers in question, and any who were complicit with them in their treatment of this woman, need to be brought up on criminal charges, and if convicted, need to spend a lot of time in prison.

We give police officers exceptional authority to use force, when necessary, in order to do their jobs, but this authority is contingent on them doing so within the scope of the law and their duty to uphold it. When officers cross as far over the line as appears to have happened here, they become criminals no better than those against whom they are supposed to be protecting us; and deserve no better treatment.

The consequences that these officers should face should be no more lenient than those that would be faced by any random citizen who abducts a drunk woman, strips her naked, and sexually assaults her.

That's obviously a criminal assault, and since it happened on public property that makes it a felony assault in Illinois.

The pigs should get the maximum sentence since they did it under color of law.

Illinois is going to have a pig roast.

Seriously. How many of you would be up in arms if she was an overweight african american woman?
Oh my god, the man handled a blond cutie that was drunk, driving and beligerant.

When will you people start to understand that we are the subjects of the government, not its employers?
When this happens to their wife mother and sister?

I too hope they get canned and she gets a boatload of cash!

The Police broke the law, by the looks of it conducting the strip search.

From a personal standpoint it looksthey also used excessive force. The video was cut at the point of the police officers taking her down, so it would be premature to say that as a certainty

I'm always skeptical when the video cuts out just before some pertinent information.

When will you people start to understand that we are the subjects of the government, not its employers?

This is only going to get worse as they get more involved in our lives...

I'm prepared to wait and see what happens. I'm particularly skeptical when the first you hear of an incident is when someone is suing the police. Irrespective of her lawsuit, I certainly hope that there is civilian oversight of the police in this jurisdiction as there is here in Toronto. And I hope there is video, police video, of all activities in this case as there should be whenever a citizen comes into the custody of authorities.

I'm a supporter of police in general but if an officer breaks the law they were sworn to uphold I'm very prepared to see that officer lose his/her job, lose his/her freedom, and suffer the consequences of civil court justice as well. With great respect and deference come heightened responsibility and accountability.

Seriously. How many of you would be up in arms if she was an overweight african american woman?
Oh my god, the man handled a blond cutie that was drunk, driving and beligerant.

Um, I would be, because it was illegal for the man to be handling her at all. I don't like it when the cops break the law.

She was a drunk driver. That's bad enough. She should be properly prosecuted for her own crime.

But apparently being guilty of drunk driving is no excuse for her to have been treated in the manner that she was. The officers would have been within their authority to use the amount of force required to arrest her and take her into custody. They stepped far outside the bounds of that authority, and committed crimes against her which were at least as serious as the crimes for which she stands accused. They need to be held fully accountable for their crimes, just as she needs to be held for her own.

I'm confused. Are you saying that people on this thread aren't disapproving sufficiently of this particular incident because it involved a "blonde cutie" (I'm putting that in quotes, because I don't really think she's attractive), or are you saying that people would be less disapproving if it had been a fat black woman being illegally strip searched?

There is no audio but you can see she's kinda lippy?
Right before they took her down to the ground in the station, wonder what she said?
I've never been arrested in my entire life but anyone knows don't give them any reason to want to mess with you.
I hope she gets a monster settlement.

She was a drunk driver. That's bad enough. She should be properly prosecuted for her own crime.

But apparently being guilty of drunk driving is no excuse for her to have been treated in the manner that she was. The officers would have been within their authority to use the amount of force required to arrest her and take her into custody. They stepped far outside the bounds of that authority, and committed crimes against her which were at least as serious as the crimes for which she stands accused. They need to be held fully accountable for their crimes, just as she needs to be held for her own.

Get locked up one day and see how you are treated.

Back
Top Bottom