• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Woman sentenced to death walks free, is to go shopping with victim's grandson

Dragonfly

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Woman sentenced to death at 16 befriends victim's grandson - CNN.com <-- please read

(CNN) -- Paula Cooper was just 16 years old when she became the youngest person on death row in the United States.

That was in 1986.

On Monday, after 27 years behind bars, Cooper walked out of Indiana's Rockville Correctional Facility a free woman. She emerged around 10 a.m., said Douglas S. Garrison, chief communications officer for the Indiana Department of Corrections.

How many things are wrong here?

Or does it all sound hunky-dory to you?

Woman sentenced to death at 16 befriends victim's grandson - CNN.com <-- please read

How many things are wrong here?

Or does it all sound hunky-dory to you?
----------------

I guess the fact that she was 16 years old when she committed this particularly heinous crime played a part in her eventual release.
In that CNN story, there was a listing of women on death row.
I'll bet none of them will be executed.
Even the perps who murdered children, usually their own, won't die.
I'm reminded of Susan Smith.
She drowned her children---blamed it on a black carjacker---and only received a thirty year sentence.
I have some problems with the death penalty, but if killing children isn't worthy of a death sentence, what is?

It shows that truth is stranger than fiction. Who knows what's going on in the mind of the grandson? I can't imagine ever wanting to lay eyes on the person who stabbed my gram to death, but . . . *shrug*

Heya Maggie :2wave: .....yeah this was the Girl that Pope John Paul intervened on when she was given the death penalty. They then said she would have to do 60 years of the Sentence. Now Indiana is releasing her today.

I thought they said she wasnt on drugs when she committed this crime. Her and two other chicks tricked some ole lady into thinking they wanted to learn about Bible School or something like that. Cooper stabbed this 78yr old woman 30 sometimes. My thing is.....if she was on drugs. I could see the possibility of not knowing what she was doing. But to not be on drugs and stab an Old Woman 30 sometimes. Cmon.....plus now they are renigging on making her due at least the 60 years. She is still in her 40s and she can still do damage to someone.

I wouldn't care if she has become institutionalized. It would only make me think she has something to be angry about all the time.

Does she sow any remorse over cutting up and stabbing a 78 year old woman to death so she could steal $10?

And how did the grandson become friends with her?

I will be surprised if the grandson doesn't seek retribution. For me at least, killing my grandmother would warrant a thorough ass-kicking, and perhaps killing if emotions tightened their rein on me.

It is a sign that a rehabilitative justice system focused on mercy, reform, and re-introduction to society is superior to one which emphasizes punishment and retribution.

It is a sign that a rehabilitative justice system focused on mercy, reform, and re-introduction to society is superior to one which emphasizes punishment and retribution.

You think this woman is a product of "a rehabilitative justice system focused on mercy, reform, and re-introduction to society"?

You think this woman is a product of "a rehabilitative justice system focused on mercy, reform, and re-introduction to society"?

No, but it is a sign that it is what we should be focusing on. It is clearly more productive.

How many minutes does it take to stab someone thirty times? Why did she stop at 30, why not 90? The "high on drugs" defense is pathetic. If you're high on drugs behind the wheel it is automatic trip to the jailhouse.She should die in prison. Taxpayers will now support her until she dies , like we did while she was locked up but now she will get high again and ?????

Back
Top Bottom