• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Woman runs over man with gun...

So much for open carry.

Police: Aliquippa Woman Thwarts Robbery By Running Over Suspect « CBS Pittsburgh

She 'thought' she knew what he was going to do, the cops say he 'probably' was going to rob a store.

Minority Report brought to you in the modern day...

Of course, she isn't getting charged with crap. BS. Pure and simple.

Once you remove the orange tip, your Airsoft becomes a legal firearm. That's clearly the law. If you saw someone cruising toward a group of kids with a presumably loaded sawed off shotgun, what would you do?

I'm not trying to start an argument, I just want to understand why this woman isn't a hero to you (apparently she is to the police in this case)?

So it's open season on anyone carrying an air-soft gun huh?
If you remove or paint the tip it is no longer an Airsoft. It is a firearm. This is common knowledge. They are identical and only that tip says that this is an Airsoft.

I'm not trying to start an argument, I just want to understand why this woman isn't a hero to you (apparently she is to the police in this case)?

She played jury and judge. Not how the system works, no matter how much you want to protect others.

Are we sure the person she ran over wasn't a "No Limit Nigga?"

She played jury and judge. Not how the system works, no matter how much you want to protect others.

Well if she stayed at a Holiday Inn the night before. She was qualified.

If you remove or paint the tip it is no longer an Airsoft. It is a firearm. This is common knowledge. They are identical and only that tip says that this is an Airsoft.

It's actually still an air-soft gun, no matter how it's colored or painted. Paint doesn't change function.

It's actually still an air-soft gun, no matter how it's colored or painted. Paint doesn't change function.

It is considered a firearm as far as the use of deadly force is concerned.

It is considered a firearm as far as the use of deadly force is concerned.

Yeah, apparently that means that civilians can become vigilantes and run someone over based on nothing more than assumption and supposition. Superb.

I often see the gun owners saying they should have weapons to prevent school shootings or the harming of others. If you saw this same situation and you were armed, might you not have wounded the attacker to save others? So how is this different?

The law is the law. The law says that if it looks like a gun - it IS a gun. Removing the tip makes it appear to be a gun. If you rob a bank with an unloaded gun, do you think that would be OK? Or would it still be armed robbery? After all, a gun can't function without bullets. How about a gun without a firing pin? Is that not still a gun?

I'm not the one who made these laws although I do see the logic in the law. So, to me, this woman did the right thing.

The law is the law. The law says that if it looks like a gun - it IS a gun. Removing the tip makes it appear to be a gun. If you rob a bank with an unloaded gun, do you think that would be OK? Or would it still be armed robbery? After all, a gun can't function without bullets. How about a gun without a firing pin? Is that not still a gun?

I'm not the one who made these laws although I do see the logic in the law. So, to me, this woman did the right thing.

So you're excusing vigilantism then. If a gun reasonably looks like a gun and is being wielded in a threatening manner or used in commission of a crime, the individual may respond AS IF it were a gun....but it's still not a gun. And you can't go around running people over just because you think they have a gun. That's messed up. If I think someone has a knife and is walking towards some elderly ladies, can I run him down? Can I exercise lethal force against an individual who has not demonstrated aggression and whom cannot be said to have a real weapon? Are you against Stand Your Own Ground legislation?

Yeah, apparently that means that civilians can become vigilantes and run someone over based on nothing more than assumption and supposition. Superb.

You misunderstand my intent. I was pointing out that if a modified airsoft gun is used in a threatening manner, deadly force is reasonable and justifiable.... too bad, so sad....
Was she justified in assuming it was a real weapon? Absolutely.
Was she justified in running him down without a crime having been committed? Absolutely not.

So you're excusing vigilantism then. If a gun reasonably looks like a gun and is being wielded in a threatening manner or used in commission of a crime, the individual may respond AS IF it were a gun....but it's still not a gun. And you can't go around running people over just because you think they have a gun. That's messed up. If I think someone has a knife and is walking towards some elderly ladies, can I run him down? Can I exercise lethal force against an individual who has not demonstrated aggression and whom cannot be said to have a real weapon? Are you against Stand Your Own Ground legislation?

Yes, I would say that if you saw a knife wielding man approaching a group of old ladies, or even more so, children, you can and should run him down. And the damn thing is a gun - like it or not. It is a "real" weapon. That's not some vague opinion - read your Airsoft instruction book.

I don't understand your last question about the SYG legislation.

Yes, I would say that if you saw a knife wielding man approaching a group of old ladies, or even more so, children, you can and should run him down. And the damn thing is a gun - like it or not. It is a "real" weapon. That's not some vague opinion - read your Airsoft instruction book.

I don't understand your last question about the SYG legislation.

It's not a firearm no matter how much you want to pretend it is. It's not much of a "real" weapon anymore than a nerf gun. Which is also not a firearm.

The point of the SYG question was that you seem to want to excuse deadly force at the mere imagining of ill intent. I was wondering if you excused deadly force when ill intent is actually demonstrated.

Once you remove the orange tip, your Airsoft becomes a legal firearm. That's clearly the law. If you saw someone cruising toward a group of kids with a presumably loaded sawed off shotgun, what would you do?

People are not shot nor arrested based upon 'maybe' or 'probably'.

To believe that they should be is moronic and illegal.

People are not shot nor arrested based upon 'maybe' or 'probably'.

Right? I'm all for people being able to defend themselves when threatened. But when not threatened, I don't think you can just go arbitrarily run people down because you claim you thought they had a weapon. Imagination isn't proper authorization of force.

I often see the gun owners saying they should have weapons to prevent school shootings or the harming of others. If you saw this same situation and you were armed, might you not have wounded the attacker to save others? So how is this different?

Big difference between this and someone with a CC permit that may be suspicious and follow to see what this person does. Why would you assume a law abiding CC holder would just shoot someone for carrying a gun?

Back
Top Bottom