• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Woman pleads guilty to making up rape allegations against two college football players

American

Trump Grump Whisperer
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Woman pleads guilty to making up rape allegations against two college football players | Fox News

The woman who made up rape allegations against two Sacred Heart University football players pleaded guilty on Tuesday to lying to police.

Nikki Yovino, 19, of South Setauket, N.Y., reportedly made up the allegations in order to gain the sympathy of another student she wanted to date. As part of a plea bargain, the young woman will be sentenced on Aug. 23 to “three years, suspended after she serves one year in prison and followed by three years’ probation,” the CT Post reported.
A jury was about to be selected, but Yovino instead agreed to take the plea deal.
Frankly I think the death penalty is in order. Thoughts?

Death penalty? No. Really severe punishment? Hell yes.

I think that demanding the death penalty sounds like self-righteous posturing.

:shrug:

Maybe it is. Women that think they can completely **** up a man's life with a lie, need to think really hard and long if it's worth it. The punishment needs to so severe that fear goes through their minds. A man that has that happen to them can never escape the black cloud from that ever. Even if proven innocent, it's always there.

No death penalty,, But the two men should have the right ( and probably do ) to sue the ba jeezes out of her..

djl

I think she mostly got what she deserved. Long-term her life will probably be as screwed up by spending a year in prison as theirs will be from her false accusation. Presumably they can also seek recompense in civil court for slander and/or libel.

The only thing I think should be changed is that making a false report to police should be the same type of crime as the crime you're falsely reporting. I.e. falsely report a felony and you are charged with a felony.

No death penalty,, But the two men should have the right ( and probably do ) to sue the ba jeezes out of her..

djl

as they say you can't get blood out of turnip.
she doesn't have anything to sue over.

she is a college student.

I think there is a happy medium between 1 year and DEATH. The low number is likely due to her pleading guilty. In general I am in favor of prison sentences for false reports being comparable to what the victim would have received if the accuser had gotten away with their lying.

But a year isn’t nothing and this act will follow her for the rest of her life. I’m just glad the victims were vindicated before doing any time because it doesn’t always end that way.

Good old fashion college "gang bang" then?

djl

I think you're a little bit on the psycho side...hehe... Death penalty? Really? See a doctor. :lol: I don't believe you're being serious...

I do believe that if it is proven that someone lies like this, they should face serious consequences. Given the public nature of these claims, and the damage they can cause, I think the accuser should have to make a very public apology, in addition to jail time and fines - say, on National TV, in the center of a filled stadium.

That said, though...this should only be used in cases where intentional and deliberate attempt to falsely accuse can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt. Given the he said / she said nature of a rape or harassment case, simply not being able to prove a crime was committed by a man should not result in this treatment, as it would most certainly discourage victims from confronting their abusers. I expect it would be a punishment rarely handed out.

I think you're a little bit on the psycho side...hehe... Death penalty? Really? See a doctor. :lol: I don't believe you're being serious...

I do believe that if it is proven that someone lies like this, they should face serious consequences. Given the public nature of these claims, and the damage they can cause, I think the accuser should have to make a very public apology, in addition to jail time and fines - say, on National TV, in the center of a filled stadium.

That said, though...this should only be used in cases where intentional and deliberate attempt to falsely accuse can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt. Given the he said / she said nature of a rape or harassment case, simply not being able to prove a crime was committed by a man should not result in this treatment, as it would most certainly discourage victims from confronting their abusers. I expect it would be a punishment rarely handed out.
I AM serious about the fact that mere allegations can ruin a man's life, and lying women need to pay the price for that; a huge price. Like maybe even an alimony-like payment for life. Lying for the sake of getting even and just anger needs to have a very high penalty.

I AM serious about the fact that mere allegations can ruin a man's life, and lying women need to pay the price for that; a huge price. Like maybe even an alimony-like payment for life. Lying for the sake of getting even and just anger needs to have a very high penalty.

I agree...but the death penalty?? C'mon, no one's ever going to take that seriously...hehe...and again, I have a hard time believing you do either, unless you have some super serious issues with women, or something. I mean, isn't lying in court perjury? What's the current punishment for that?

Also, out of curiosity, are you of the mind that if she wasn't lying, the guy should be put to death for rape? I kind of expect you to say yes, so this is me giving you a way to not look like a rabid woman hater... ;)

Other than that, I agree with you completely. Where it can be proven that someone is deliberately out to ruin someone else with lies, there should be a heavy price. But let's not lose our minds completely, and suggest solutions so out there that people roll their eyes and walk away from the conversation altogether.

I think there is a happy medium between 1 year and DEATH. The low number is likely due to her pleading guilty. In general I am in favor of prison sentences for false reports being comparable to what the victim would have received if the accuser had gotten away with their lying.

But a year isn’t nothing and this act will follow her for the rest of her life. I’m just glad the victims were vindicated before doing any time because it doesn’t always end that way.
Give her one year and make her register as a sex offender.

I think that demanding the death penalty sounds like self-righteous posturing.

:shrug:

Women that accuse an innocent man of fathering their child for the purpose of money should be put to death too...

It's hard to know how harsh the punishment should be before it starts to discourage liars from ever coming clean.

She is probably not smart enough to get a job if she ever does graduate.

Back
Top Bottom