• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Woman in fake acid attack charged with theft

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
(CNN) -- Prosecutors have charged a woman who admitted throwing a corrosive liquid on her own face with three counts of theft from people or companies acting as Good Samaritans, Clark County, Washington, officials said Monday.

A warrant has been issued for her arrest, the Clark County prosecutors' office said.

Bethany Storro "did obtain control over" at least $750 each from Michael Kite, Anytime Fitness and Safeway during the time she was promoting the story that she was attacked on August 30 by an African-American woman with an athletic build and slicked-back hair pulled into a pony tail near a Vancouver, Washington, coffee shop, according to prosecutors.

Throw the book at her. This was a truly disgusting act, that spurred racism, and also caused a black woman, who looked like the description the woman gave, to go into hiding. It also created a little racial arguing here at DP. I do not have the words at this time to be able to describe how I feel about something like this. Just "disgusting", which doesn't even begin to go far enough.

Article is here.

Last edited:
I would in most cases of false reporting agree with your assessment but I think it's a pretty good bet this woman is in need of some serious counseling of the mental variety.

She is going to have to live with the result and physical scars for life but the mental ones may lead her to do something more drastic if she's pushed too hard in the wrong direction.

I worry about people like this and I'm no bleedingg heart liberal I just know a few people who got the help they needed and turned their lives around.

I also knew some people who didn't get that help and they are no longer with us.

I'm just not quick to judge in these cases.

I would in most cases of false reporting agree with your assessment but I think it's a pretty good bet this woman is in need of some serious counseling of the mental variety.

She is going to have to live with the result and physical scars for life but the mental ones may lead her to do something more drastic if she's pushed too hard in the wrong direction.

I worry about people like this and I'm no bleedingg heart liberal I just know a few people who got the help they needed and turned their lives around.

I also knew some people who didn't get that help and they are no longer with us.

Sure, give her the help she needs, along with the appropriate jail time, since she is the one responsible for her actions.

do you believe she was racist in her accusation?

do you believe she was racist in her accusation?

Let me jump in here, even though you ask the question of someone else. I don't know whether racism played a role in the accusation itself, but it certainly played a part in the aftermath, when people were believing the story.

Let me jump in here, even though you ask the question of someone else. I don't know whether racism played a role in the accusation itself, but it certainly played a part in the aftermath, when people were believing the story.

unconsciously i believe it played a part in the accusation itself. and why are those who called out sharpton for the brawley debable so conspicuously silent here?

unconsciously i believe it played a part in the accusation itself. and why are those who called out sharpton for the brawley debable so conspicuously silent here?

read the other thread on this issue, "those" people are not silent.

Is it racist? probably.

What is really racist? Those who are screaming to throw the book at her. why were they conspicuously silent when Tawanna Brawley and Crystal Mangum were taking money from people for their false accusations. why were "they" not screaming to throw them in jail for ruining the reputations of innocent people? Why were "they" not calling for their heads for stirring up feelings of racism? why?? because many people somehow feel that only whites can be racists.

Does this nutjob need to be held accountable for her actions? yes. I can only hope the next time some black girl decides to false accuse a white guy people remember how they reacted to this case and act/react consistently.

Someone remind me how many days Tawana Brawley and Crystal Magnum spent in jail due to making their false claims? Sentence this girl to the exact same amount of time and force her to pay the exact dollar figure of restitution Brawley and Magnum have paid their victims. (note Brawley was sued by one of her falsely accused victims for around $385K IIRC...to date she has yet to pay a dime.)

Last edited:
read the other thread on this issue, "those" people are not silent.

Is it racist? probably.

What is really racist? Those who are screaming to throw the book at her. why were they conspicuously silent when Tawanna Brawley and Crystal Mangum were taking money from people for their false accusations. why were "they" not screaming to throw them in jail for ruining the reputations of innocent people? Why were "they" not calling for their heads for stirring up feelings of racism? why?? because many people somehow feel that only whites can be racists.

Does this nutjob need to be held accountable for her actions? yes. I can only hope the next time some black girl decides to false accuse a white guy people remember how they reacted to this case and act/react consistently.

Someone remind me how many days in jail Tawana Brawley and Crystal Magnum spent in jail due to making their false claims? Sentence this girl to the exact same amount of time and force her to pay the exact dollar figure of restitution Brawley and Magnum have paid their victims. (note Brawley was sued by one of her falsely accused victims for around $385K IIRC...to date she has yet to pay a dime.)

who says they were?

and circumstances are a bit different for brawley. she had a step father who beat her, and she was a scared 15 year old. her "parents" clearly were behind most of this. sharpton did pay, btw.

who says they were?

and circumstances are a bit different for brawley. she had a step father who beat her, and she was a scared 15 year old. her "parents" clearly were behind most of this. sharpton did pay, btw.

see that's the trouble I have with liberals, they are always looking to make excuses for the bad behavior of those they favor. Do you know anything about the background of this white girl? maybe she had a step father who beat her, maybe she has a verifiable medically caused mental condition. You don't know...you just assume. that is where the racism comes in.

assume the worst about the white girl
make excuses for the black girl

I personally think she is a seriously disturbed individual who was seeking publicity and attention. Why did she claim her attacker was black? the same reason most people who make false claims blame someone from another race...human nature.

Last edited:

From what I've read, she's expected to make a full recovery (ie, no scars) so whatever punishment the authorities give her is all she gets.
Otherwise, she's going scot-free.
I not only wish they'd throw the book at her, I wish some corrupt cops and vengeful citizens would trump up some false charges too, just so she'd know how it feels.
If I lived there, I'd be tempted to report that I observed her lurking in the bushes at the local playground, molesting children.

From what I've read, she's expected to make a full recovery (ie, no scars) so whatever punishment the authorities give her is all she gets.
I not only wish they'd throw the book at her, I wish some corrupt cops and vengeful citizens would trump up some false charges too, just so she'd know how it feels.
If I lived there, I'd be tempted to report that I observed her lurking in the bushes at the local playground, molesting children.

do you feel the same way about Tawana Brawley and Crystal Magnum?

who says they were?

Al Sharpton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sharpton, Maddox, and Mason accused the Dutchess County prosecutor, Steven Pagones, of racism and of being one of the perpetrators of the alleged abduction and rape. The three were successfully sued for slander and ordered to pay $345,000 in damages, the jury finding Sharpton liable for making seven defamatory statements about Pagones, Maddox for two, and Mason for one.[79] Sharpton refused to pay his share of the damages; it was later paid by a number of black business leaders.

Whoa! You do that and I hope you get the same punishment.

do you feel the same way about Tawana Brawley and Crystal Magnum?

i think brawley and magnum shouls be considered separately. yes, magnum should have been charged with something......but not so much brawley. maybe her parents should have been charged.

i think brawley and magnum shouls be considered separately. yes, magnum should have been charged with something......but not so much brawley. maybe her parents should have been charged.

I disagree with you on this. Brawley knew what she was doing when she did it, and she is responsible for her actions. She is just as guilty as this woman. Both made accusations that fueled racism, and both deserve the same punishment. Circumstances don't play a role here. If we excuse Brawley, then should we excuse Charles Manson for what he did because he had a tough childhood too? How far do we go, and whose subjective opinion do we trust on a case by case basis?

The punishment must fit the crime, and the punishment must be the same for everybody.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom