• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Woman Fined $700 for selling tamales

Not really. My right to sell food is entirely different than some kind of right to poison people.

If you understood the way the food industry in the U.S. behaved, prior to regulation, you might be inclined to think in a different manner. Then again, given your contempt for reasoning beyond ideology... i'm not so sure.

FWIW

How many people need to die or get sick until the market can regulate itself?

Last edited:
If you understood the way the food industry in the U.S. behaved, prior to regulation, you might be inclined to think in a different manner. Then again, given your contempt for reasoning beyond ideology... i'm not so sure.

FWIW

How many people need to die or be sick until the market can regulate itself?

We already had courts for that kind of thing.

We already had courts for that kind of thing.

Is that truly an efficient means of dealing with the problem of profiteering from cutting corners?

How many were sued for cyanide being purposely cut in their food?

Is that truly an efficient means of dealing with the problem of profiteering from cutting corners?

How many were sued for cyanide being purposely cut in their food?

Is anything really efficient in dealing with it? The only way to really be efficent in dealing with it is to take over the industry yourself.

I read the article once and didn't see anything about how she ended up getting caught directly. It did mention she posted her sale on "Nextdoor", whatever that is.
It's sort of a Craigslist thing, a neighborhood social media site.

Exactly how ignorant does one have to be to not know that you need a permit to sell prepared food to the public?

Its not open to the public or sold in any public store. Each person that seeks her out adds to tons of little mini private transactions assuming she sold them as "homemade" LEGALLY considered homemade not "homemade style pie crust" sold at walgreens.

The jew heritage in me guilt trips me for not becoming a lawyer.

Yes, really. You were an officer, you should know that ignorance of the law is seldom a defense.

anyone who can read knows it is impossible for me, you, or anyone else to know all the laws.
If you're going to do something like sell food to strangers, it's your obligation to know the laws.

The 2,000 page Obamacare law immediately spawned 10,000 pages of regulations....
1) If you're selling tamales via the Internet, you don't have to worry about the ACA.

2) If you run a business with employees, it is your obligation to know what parts of the ACA do or do not apply to you.

3) No one expects every business to know every relevant law. That's why businesses have lawyers, accountants, insurance agents and so forth.

And, regulators don't even need laws and votes and all that. They just write regulations and you pay the fine. Oh, there is an enabling law that says, "You have to follow all the regulations these dickheads write," but they know you can't.
And yet, millions of Americans do successfully follow the relevant food safety laws. Go figure.

In my state, it was a felony, a felony, mind you, to remove mortgaged property from the state without written permission from the mortgage holder. Can you imagine taking your family on vacation, being stopped for parking on the side of the road so your little kid could pee into the sagebrush, and have a highway patrolman say, "Put your hands being your back. There's a felony warrant for your arrest for removing mortgaged property from your state. Your car is mortgaged and you don't have permission from the bank."
Cars are not mortgaged.

I'm guessing you're referring to something like this: Texas Penal Code - PENAL § 32.33 | FindLaw

They're not referring to cars that are leased or have a loan. They're talking about property that has a lien on it, or the property is otherwise used to secure a credit arrangement.

So if someone puts a lien on your car, and you try to drive it out of the state, or you damage it, or you destroy it, that's a problem. Does that still seem ridiculous to you?

My personal favorite was eavesdropping though. You're sitting in a bar and you hear the two guys in the booth behind you. One is asking the other guy to murder his wife for him. The booth is high and they can't see you so you slip out and call the police. They show up and slap the cuffs on your for felony eavesdropping. In all fairness, after two years of having eavesdropping a felony the state legislature quietly removed the law from the books.
You do realize that the legislature fixing bad laws kinda undercuts your argument?

When the cop seizes the $12,000 you have in your car to pay for a used tractor you want to buy they don't have to prove anything. They just keep your money. Sweet, isn't it.
Not at all. But that has nothing to do with "regulations." That's police departments abusing asset forfeiture, and legislatures ought to fix it by passing laws.

The regulator was wrong, should have contacted Ms. Cruz and told her the law, and those who applaud this regulation will live to regret it when they get their postcard.
Again, this slippery slope threat is purely fallacious.

I have no plans to sell unregulated tamales out of my apartment via the Internet. (I've also successfully worked as a freelancer, including taking care of all the proper paperwork.) I'm not worried in the slightest.

Back
Top Bottom