• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Woman fatally shoots suspected ‘peeping Tom’ outside bedroom window

Woman apparently alone except for the peeping tom.

how does being alone justify murder?

seriously

this has zero bearing on it.

can you think of a valid reason to shoot someone outside your home? I can't.

how does being alone justify murder?

seriously

this has zero bearing on it.

can you think of a valid reason to shoot someone outside your home? I can't.
Unless she "reasonably" thought she was in danger. That's all that's required on your property in Texas. I would say a peeping tom or burger at you window is reasonable cause, by their laws.

I completely understand her fear. Most would be fearful in that situation. But instead of grabbing her firearm she should of grabbed the phone and dialed 911.

I do not think this was a justified shoot.
I feel for her but you can not shoot someone in that circumstance.

My guess is she will be charged.

I completely understand her fear. Most would be fearful in that situation. But instead of grabbing her firearm she should of grabbed the phone and dialed 911.

I do not think this was a justified shoot.
I feel for her but you can not shoot someone in that circumstance.

My guess is she will be charged.
Especially with today's overworked polices forces, if someone is really in danger, the police end getting there after the crime occurs. 911 has too slow of a response.

Welcome to texas, where criminals are not tolerated like they are in my state.
Your link does not support that she is covered under Castle Law just because he was on her property. I added more to my post.

Your link does not support that she is covered under Castle Law just because he was on her property. I added more to my post.
I guess we will see in the upcoming days.

Someone just being in your yard is usually just trespassing. If you can shoot someone for just being on your property in TX, I'd like to see that specifically. Your link only refers to 'habitation' and includes vehicles.
Almost all those homes where this occurred are fully fences around the house. It's very unlikely he was casually walking by a window. There was some illegal intent by the deceased.

Almost all those homes where this occurred are fully fences around the house. It's very unlikely he was casually walking by a window. There was some illegal intent by the deceased.
Not an acceptable counter-argument and fence or not, from the code you posted, the fence wouldnt matter.

No one has implied he was casually walking by. I bet there's a good chance he was peeping. 🤷

Not an acceptable counter-argument and fence or not, from the code you posted, the fence wouldnt matter.

No one has implied he was casually walking by. I bet there's a good chance he was peeping. 🤷
Why I posted also a history of the law, and how it developed. Were you reading from the current law, or prior. It explains how there was once a duty to retreat, but chnaged into the stand your ground and castle law.

Regardless, inside the fence at 11PM.... looking into the window... Clearly the person is a threat of some sort.

Try throwing that intellect at a much larger and possibly armed assailant and let us know how it turns out.

It's always turned out well.

The only time it did not, nothing would have helped as I was down before I knew I was in peril. A runner for the mob, huge guy, blind sided me, hit me so hard cracked the back of my eye. My own fault, I should not been in the seediest strip club in Times Square when NYC was a complete shithole at 4am.

See, that is the thing about carrying a gun, all it can do is make a bad situation worse. On two occasions, all a gun would have done, had I gone for it, was get me shot. Folks that pull guns on you have them on you before they notify you. So if you then go for yours, you have forced their hand. If someone wants to shoot you, they pull the trigger before you see the gun. See? You can't win. It's common sense to the reasoned.

You post as a know nothing cowboy. No real world experience, no intellectual skills to fall back on.

3# times I have been threatened with a gun, once a knife. Not a scratch anyone of the 4 times.

I got stories about bar... confrontations too. At times, I was a bit of a jerk, not at all the image of me you have. . Good thing I was fairly big.

I have grown out of that stupidity, for the most part anyway. I still flash and my significant reminds me I am not young anymore. LOL

Why I posted also a history of the law, and how it developed. Were you reading from the current law, or prior. It explains how there was once a duty to retreat, but chnaged into the stand your ground and castle law.
I did. Feel free to point out the passage that says property is covered under Castle Law. Even after updates, it only included habitation and vehicles.

I did. Feel free to point out the passage that says property is covered under Castle Law.
I'm not going to read the whole of the material or do farther searches. We had past threads that covered such things. I will agree to disagree with you.

I'm not going to read the whole of the material or do farther searches. We had past threads that covered such things. I will agree to disagree with you.
It was YOUR link :rolleyes:

It doesnt say what you believe it says...and you have no idea! You can disagree all you want...the evidence for your opinion isnt there.

Unless she "reasonably" thought she was in danger. That's all that's required on your property in Texas. I would say a peeping tom or burger at you window is reasonable cause, by their laws.

Then fetch the law and bring it here. No way in hell is looking in someone's window an executional offence. Especially without trial and conviction.

Then fetch the law and bring it here. No way in hell is looking in someone's window an executional offence. Especially without trial and conviction.
I think I will stand by my answer saying "Unless she "reasonably" thought she was in danger."

So...not only did Biden actually advise shooting a shotgun through a door to keep someone away from your house, he was wrong in thinking it was better than using an AR-15...as this lady showed us.

Biden knows about as much about guns as a 3 year old knows about fornicating. His advice is about as useful as bag of broken hammers.

btw, his remarks about using an AR-15 for hunting are stupid. Nobody is going to use a rifle with a glorified .22 round when hunting bear. But people would absolutely use it for hunting smaller game, such as rabbits.
I have a Mini-14 and don't even use it for coyotes.

Any way you look at it, when it comes to talking about firearms, Biden is an idiot.

Biden is an idiot on all topics... well other than maybe fornicating.

I would say she is in trouble. Peeping is not an insignificant crime, and certainly she was justified in feeling afraid, but it does not sound like she had a reasonable fear for her life at that moment.
Come peeping around my house, or my daughters window, (not you personally, but the generic "you") and if my dogs don't kill you first I certainly will.

Last edited:
Just being afraid isn't enough.
It can be, if you are in fear for your life.

It has to be objectively reasonable, given the information she had at the time.

Bingo! A "reasonable person test" is how a jury would need to weigh the circumstances. Had she shot somebody at 11am on her front porch that would not be very reasonable apart from something specific she observed which could be a reaonable threat. At 11am on a Wednesday it could be the Amazon guy, Jehovah's Witnesses, or just the neighbor coming over to borrow a cup of sugar. But at 11PM a bit different.

This is like a reverse of the time that Fort Worth cop shot the woman through her window. That was objectively unreasonable, even though she had a gun.

Each incident needs to be viewed in it's own light. And that being said, it also matters a lot which state you live in. I live in California and you would be at great risk to be shooting anyone outside of your home. California is a duty to retreat state, not a stand your ground state. Until somebody enters your home, it is difficult here to prove you may not have had other options. And regardless of any criminal charge you WILL be sued by the person's family.

It's always turned out well.

The only time it did not, nothing would have helped as I was down before I knew I was in peril. A runner for the mob, huge guy, blind sided me, hit me so hard cracked the back of my eye. My own fault, I should not been in the seediest strip club in Times Square when NYC was a complete shithole at 4am.

See, that is the thing about carrying a gun, all it can do is make a bad situation worse. On two occasions, all a gun would have done, had I gone for it, was get me shot. Folks that pull guns on you have them on you before they notify you. So if you then go for yours, you have forced their hand. If someone wants to shoot you, they pull the trigger before you see the gun. See? You can't win. It's common sense to the reasoned.

You post as a know nothing cowboy. No real world experience, no intellectual skills to fall back on.

3# times I have been threatened with a gun, once a knife. Not a scratch anyone of the 4 times.

I got stories about bar... confrontations too. At times, I was a bit of a jerk, not at all the image of me you have. . Good thing I was fairly big.

I have grown out of that stupidity, for the most part anyway. I still flash and my significant reminds me I am not young anymore. LOL
Quite the story you have. I won't try and call BS since I don't personally know you, only the way you talk about gun control. So I won't bore you with my tales since anyone can take on any persona on the internet. But it is nice to know that you seem to know me so will. And yes it goes both ways.

I think I will stand by my answer saying "Unless she "reasonably" thought she was in danger."
Some very important advice to anyone in her situation; DO NOT make any statements to the police without your lawyers present. Because what you say, and HOW you say it, may make all the difference in the world in court, when the jury considers what may have been reasonable or not.

Also this:

If you have security video in or around your home. Consider keeping any video stored locally and NOT on the cloud. Just in case you need to make that video disappear. And also be aware that your neighbors may have video cameras that pick up your property, and Ring doorbells are also really good at picking up a lot of audio.

Why do you need to know this? Well, back to talking to the police; any statements you make may be disputed by available audio and video evidence, so make sure you only make a statement after conferring with your lawyer.

Some very important advice to anyone in her situation; DO NOT make any statements to the police without your lawyers present. Because what you say, and HOW you say it, may make all the difference in the world in court, when the jury considers what may have been reasonable or not.

Also this:

If you have security video in or around your home. Consider keeping any video stored locally and NOT on the cloud. Just in case you need to make that video disappear. And also be aware that your neighbors may have video cameras that pick up your property, and Ring doorbells are also really good at picking up a lot of audio.

Why do you need to know this? Well, back to talking to the police; any statements you make may be disputed by available audio and video evidence, so make sure you only make a statement after conferring with your lawyer.
My concern of situations I had in the past, was someone stealing my recorder, or even the police confiscating it so I didn't have my own evidence. When I set my system up, I had all my cameras split to two different recorders. That way, if the police, or theif, etc, took one recorder, I still had the other.

Back
Top Bottom