• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Woman fatally shoots suspected ‘peeping Tom’ outside bedroom window

swing_voter

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
HOUSTON (KTRK) - Police are investigating after a suspected “peeping Tom” outside a Houston home was shot to death by a woman inside.

A woman in north Houston says she was frightened when she saw a strange man looking into her bedroom window around 11 p.m. Friday night.

Believing she was in danger, she got her rifle and opened fire in self-defense.

Police say the woman fired several shots through her wall, at least one of which apparently hit the suspect in the torso.

Investigators believe the man staggered a short distance then died at the scene.

Police say there’s been no decision yet as to whether any charges will be filed.

AR15, right through the wall of her house.

I don't know if that's enough cause to kill someone over though. She might go to jail. What do you think?

It could even be that the guy was her lover and she decided to murder him for some reason.

If she gets any jail time President Biden should pardon her and anyone else who follows the president‘s advice and shot through the door, window or wall at a strange noise.

If she gets any jail time President Biden should pardon her and anyone else who follows the president‘s advice and shot through the door, window or wall at a strange noise.

And there it is. Eight minutes in, we get a Blame Biden post.

I would say she is in trouble. Peeping is not an insignificant crime, and certainly she was justified in feeling afraid, but it does not sound like she had a reasonable fear for her life at that moment.

IF she were to be charged, somehow it wouldn't wash. But it would be interesting to see though.

Biden's statement on this topic was idiotic, but he never said anything like that.

For one, there is no reason somebody would be innocently looking through your bedroom window at 11 pm.

And for two she doesn't know if he is going to rape her or kill her or try to get a good look.

I call BS on anyone who thinks she wait and see what he wants to do to her. By that time it is too late to get help.

Once again we have another Play Stupid Games, Win Stupid Prizes.

HOUSTON (KTRK) - Police are investigating after a suspected “peeping Tom” outside a Houston home was shot to death by a woman inside.

A woman in north Houston says she was frightened when she saw a strange man looking into her bedroom window around 11 p.m. Friday night.

Police say the woman fired several shots through her wall, at least one of which apparently hit the suspect in the torso.

Investigators believe the man staggered a short distance then died at the scene.

Police say there’s been no decision yet as to whether any charges will be filed.

I don't know if that's enough cause to kill someone over though. She might go to jail. What do you think?

It could even be that the guy was her lover and she decided to murder him for some reason.

Tough call. Especially, as you alluded to, we don't know what if any relationship they had.

I think, due to the individual not damaging the property or entering or threatening, she needs to bear some responsibility for her actions.

But it is an interesting case . . .

I think she should be criminally charged. Peeping through a window is not a legal reason to commit a homicide.

Peeping through a window one hour from midnight might give a startled woman reason to think it is about more then just peeping. If the cops check out her story and thinks it's about anything more then perceived self defense, it will go to a preliminary hearing.

For one, there is no reason somebody would be innocently looking through your bedroom window at 11 pm.

And for two she doesn't know if he is going to rape her or kill her or try to get a good look.

I call BS on anyone who thinks she wait and see what he wants to do to her. By that time it is too late to get help.

Once again we have another Play Stupid Games, Win Stupid Prizes.
She at least has to wait for him to show intent and opportunity to be inside the house with her, like trying to climb in the window, or that he posed a reasonable threat to her safety, like she saw him pointing a gun in the window. Shooting through the wall at him isn't going to cut it. She should have called 911, and shot him if he tried coming in.

Biden's statement on this topic was idiotic, but he never said anything like that.
Yeah when he says shoot through the door her rally wasn’t talking about shooting through the door💁🏻

She at least has to wait for him to show intent and opportunity to be inside the house with her, like trying to climb in the window, or that he posed a reasonable threat to her safety, like she saw him pointing a gun in the window. Shooting through the wall at him isn't going to cut it. She should have called 911, and shot him if he tried coming in.

Someone peering into her home at 11:00 P.M. especially looking right at her probably does not have good intentions. And I am betting he did not wear a bolded print flash card on his forehead spelling out his intentions.

Are you saying because it happened to be an evil ole AR-15? You don't go into any reason other then AR-15.
Yes, especially if your a woman. Maybe (but only maybe) until it's sorted out, overnight if that long.
If that were the case and that was the best she could come up with then she is dumb as a post.

Someone peering into her home at 11:00 P.M. especially looking right at her probably does not have good intentions. And I am betting he did not wear a bolded print flash card on his forehead spelling out his intentions.
Intentions are inferred from actions. She couldn't have inferred he was a threat through the wall. She was safe inside, and if he tried getting inside, then she has every right to defend. This is not how to do it.

Hard call but easty to make on Monday morning.

Being in the middle of the night he is able to see you quite well in lighted bedroom but looking outside it is hard to see if there is just him or more.
In the middle of the night you aren't going to have the benefit of neighbors perhaps seeing someone outside your house.
Calling 911 is a viable option but what is the police response time?

She could have held that rifle to the window and for most people that would be the time for him to hightail it out of there.

At this point we don't know too much. Her age or had she been a victim before.

Yeah when he says shoot through the door her rally wasn’t talking about shooting through the door💁🏻

When did he say "shoot through the door?" Please provide an actual quote.

I dont know specific law for TX but usually Castle Law-type laws cover threats entering or in your home, RV, car.

IMO, she was prepared to defend herself if needed and should have called 911 unless he tried to break in.

Bad shoot, stupid woman.

Not a lot of info in the article, but from what is given I'd say she is facing jail time.

Intentions are inferred from actions. She couldn't have inferred he was a threat through the wall. She was safe inside, and if he tried getting inside, then she has every right to defend. This is not how to do it.
Ideally, however it's not always that simple. Peering into her window at one hour to midnight....in the dark is almost certainly at threat at some level, and probably something more serious then just looking for eye candy. Safe inside? Chances are good her house is not built like Fort Knox, and if his intention was to get inside, he probably could have. If you suddenly awoke in your own home that late at night and found some stranger looking at you through the window, what would think he was up to? Did she over react? Probably, however it may have been out of pure panic and fear. That will certainly be taken into consideration.

Sounds more like murder than self-defense. But, it is TexAss.

She's not stupid, she was likely scared.

It's Texas; they're going to let this slide.

Was the person outside the window named Ashli?

A woman alone at 11pm and somebody outsider her window whom she does not know.

Justified???

Call it 6 of one, half dozen of the other. If she had a fear for her life, then there may be no criminal culpability. The guy could have been a Richard Ramirez/ Charles Manson type, or just a neighbor out looking for his cat. If he had no reason to be there which was not legal... well, then kind of takes any heat off of her doesn't? How would she know the guy wasn't looking to harm her?

Personally, I believe you should wait until they enter your home, and then you will not need to answer any questions about why you shot. But I ain't no women, so I might be a little less worried than she was with someone outside the window. But one thing for sure, anyone comes in and I will execute them toot sweet.

Do we know of any connection she had to the guy? You are just guessing now. Or it could be he was her ex lover coming to kill HER. And if so, then everything worked out fine, right?

Proof that an AR-15 is an appropriate weapon for civilian home defense. So, thank you for posting this.

Not a lot of info in the article, but from what is given I'd say she is facing jail time.
My thoughts as well - and probably a fair amount of it.

Back
Top Bottom