• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Woman arrested after holding ‘abolish monarchy’ sign in Edinburgh

MrNiceGuy

Symbiotic Pnemonic
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate

Well, if she was arrested for the sign, I would say that it's really another terrible blow to freedom of expression. We've seen a lot of attacks on freedom of expression by governments and law enforcement lately, seeking to ostensibly placate the feelings of offended douchebags, but for god's sake -- **** imperialism? abolish the monarchy? Christ, what is this, the 18th century?

Oh my gawd, different countries have different laws about "expression"?

You don't say!

6cc7b91b9b65940311a436c1fd5a41d1.png

Oh my gawd, different countries have different laws about "expression"?

You don't say!
Freedom of speech and expression are fundamental human rights recognized by the UN Declaration on Human Rights. A law against holding up a sign that says "abolish the monarchy" or "**** imperialism" is a violation of that fundamental human right.

By your logic, if the US created a law which said that it's not free speech to say "abolish the police" that it would just be "a country having different laws" -- ho hum, so what?

Freedom of speech and expression are fundamental human rights recognized by the UN Declaration on Human Rights. A law against holding up a sign that says "abolish the monarchy" or "**** imperialism" is a violation of that fundamental human right.

By your logic, if the US created a law which said that it's not free speech to say "abolish the police" that it would just be "a country having different laws" -- ho hum, so what?
News flash!
Even in the US "free speech" is not absolute.

Somehow you have latched onto the idea that a specific werd caused her detention. It wasn't, but then any further discussion would require I spoon feed you all sorts of supplemental info....about what you posted.

I don't think this person should have been arrested. However, as far as I know, the UK does not have US style free speech laws.

News flash!
Even in the US "free speech" is not absolute.

Somehow you have latched onto the idea that a specific werd caused her detention. It wasn't, but then any further discussion would require I spoon feed you all sorts of supplemental info....about what you posted.
Criticism against the government is among the most protected speech.

Reactions: AJG
if she was arrested for the sign
If?
You sound.....unsure.

I suggest re-reading, maybe understand the context, perhaps try a little digging into the law cited....you know.....think and read. Is that possible, on your own?

Criticism against the government is among the most protected speech.
Not in the UK, not when it is at a funeral for a Monarch, not when it is designed to cause a disturbance during a religious/state ceremony.

Again, it is not absolute everywhere.

Not in the UK, not when it is at a funeral for a Monarch, not when it is designed to cause a disturbance during a religious/state ceremony.

Again, it is not absolute everywhere.
Saying it isn't absolute everywhere doesn't let you decide what speech you find acceptable everywhere.

Saying it isn't absolute everywhere doesn't let you decide what speech you find acceptable everywhere.
Thats a stupid thing to argue, I never argued it was MY decision, I have made it quite clear theses are laws and interpretations each country makes on its own.

Well, if she was arrested for the sign, I would say that it's really another terrible blow to freedom of expression. We've seen a lot of attacks on freedom of expression by governments and law enforcement lately, seeking to ostensibly placate the feelings of offended douchebags, but for god's sake -- **** imperialism? abolish the monarchy? Christ, what is this, the 18th century?
You seem very concerned about what the Brits are doing these days.

Thats a stupid thing to argue, I never argued it was MY decision, I have made it quite clear theses are laws and interpretations each country makes on its own.
Cops in the US arrest people for panhandling, even though it is a 100% legal activity. I'm not certain they acted within the law there, same as when police hassle homeless people with signs here.

A totally classless dirtbag who can’t get over the fact that Scotland voted against independence.

So you started this thread and you started that other threat about color but you still support a thief who stole the top secret documents from United States government.

Why do you keep posting stupid crap to me that has nothing to do with my point?
Your point is stupid. The law of the land in Saudi Arabia is to execute, torture, whip, beat and imprison homosexuals, I don't go defending that either. In fact I speak out that it is wrong. Just like this is, if she actually was arrested for carrying the sign depicted in the headline, or even vulgar interpretations of it.

Reactions: AJG
Your point is stupid. The law of the land in Saudi Arabia is to execute, torture, whip, beat and imprison homosexuals, I don't go defending that either. In fact I speak out that it is wrong.
Again, more stupid shit, This thread isn't about SA or some implication that I support persecution of homosexuals.

Learn how to debate, fer gawds sake.
Just like this is, if she actually was arrested for carrying the sign depicted in the headline, or even vulgar interpretations of it.
If you want to defend her, go for it.....but stop making false accusations about me or my point, I never argued about US panhandling laws or what the Saudis do to homosexuals.

Isn't there a sub-forum for your whatabouts?

Again, more stupid shit, This thread isn't about SA or some implication that I support persecution of homosexuals.

Learn how to debate, fer gawds sake.

If you want to defend her, go for it.....but stop making false accusations about me or my point, I never argued about US panhandling laws or what the Saudis do to homosexuals.

Isn't there a sub-forum for your whatabouts?
This is what I'm talking about. If the headline is true, the law is wrong. You disagree.

They are using a new law put in place a few months ago by Boris Johnson and the new PM.

This is what I'm talking about.
You havn't been "talking about it", you have been on a rampage of non-sequiturs and whatabouts having NOTHING to do with the topic.

of all people....

If the headline is true, the law is wrong. You disagree.
Great, well you go ahead and educate all of us on what laws the city of Edinburgh or Scotland or the UK.........should have....cuz.....yur the leagle eagle we should all rely on.

Please stop posting these in BREAKING NEWS. This is not twitter.

Nah. Britain arrests conservatives for speaking their minds daily, I'm not going to complain about some shitlib getting the short end of the stick.

Fail thread is pure fail, congrats on not understanding law on either side of the pond.

Back
Top Bottom