• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Wlamart 911-Caller Ronald Ritchie to be indicted for Lying to Police before they shot

TurtleDude

warrior of the wetlands
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Walmart 911-Caller Ronald Ritchie To Be Indicted For Lying To Police Before They Shot John Crawford - Counter Current News

[FONT=Tinos, serif]Fairborn Municipal Court Judge Beth Root has just decided that there is in fact probable cause to prosecute Ronald T. Ritchie for lying to a 9-1-1 dispatcher about John Crawford, in August of 2014.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tinos, serif]when this police shooting was discussed on this board, I noted [/FONT][FONT=Tinos, serif]that[/FONT][FONT=Tinos, serif] I believed that the person who called 9-1-1 was probably culpable for creating the environment that led to a needless shooting of Crawford. a year and a half later, it appears that the legal system agrees.

I just heard this story on my local news but this was the first thing I could find in terms of a report on the net
[/FONT]

Re: Wlamart 911-Caller Ronald Ritchie to be indicted for Lying to Police before they

It's about ****ing time. I remember this shooting because this guy did everything in his power to present the scenario as if it was dangerous when it clearly wasn't.

edit:

April Ritchie’s Facebook account posted a comment about the shooting, saying “They told him to put the gun down. He pointed at them and they shot him”. This becomes the narrative used by the media for months, until the actual security video becomes available. By that time the narrative had taken root in the public consciousness, even though it is nothing like what can be seen on the surveillance video
His wife is a two-faced lying piece of garbage too. I hope they don't have children.

Last edited:
Re: Wlamart 911-Caller Ronald Ritchie to be indicted for Lying to Police before they

It's about ****ing time. I remember this shooting because this guy did everything in his power to present the scenario as if it was dangerous when it clearly wasn't.

I stated back then that the caller was probably in need of being charged. IN reality Ritchie ought to be indicted for something much more serious than merely lying to the police.

I stated back then that the caller was probably in need of being charged. IN reality Ritchie ought to be indicted for something much more serious than merely lying to the police.

reckless endangerment or criminal negligence perhaps.

reckless endangerment or criminal negligence perhaps.

He basically set this guy up to be killed

Yeah it really should be some kind of manslaughter/negligent homicide or something, but I doubt it technically meets the requirements.

Yeah it really should be some kind of manslaughter/negligent homicide or something, but I doubt it technically meets the requirements.

I agree

but as I noted over a year ago-this asshole told the cops that the slain man was loading the weapon (complete BS) and was pointing it at people (Complete BS)

so I can sort of understand why the cop who did the killing was at an extremely heightened state of "alertness" when he came into the store. The report created by this moron who called suggested that Crawford was an imminent threat of death and destruction to other shoppers.

I disagree with the Municipal Judge who found that there was no probable cause to find that Ritchie incited violence etc. I think he certainly did.

Yea you wouldn't be able to make the case for that as it would have had to be him directly that caused the death rather than indirectly.

I agree

but as I noted over a year ago-this asshole told the cops that the slain man was loading the weapon (complete BS) and was pointing it at people (Complete BS)

so I can sort of understand why the cop who did the killing was at an extremely heightened state of "alertness" when he came into the store. The report created by this moron who called suggested that Crawford was an imminent threat of death and destruction to other shoppers.

I disagree with the Municipal Judge who found that there was no probable cause to find that Ritchie incited violence etc. I think he certainly did.

Your damned right he did.

He should be charged with the highest crime possible related to knowingly and wantonly acting in a way that results in the death of a person (two people). Any reasonable person could have foreseen that making such statements and untruths to the 911 operator would, or at least could, lead to the police confronting the man with weapons drawn and their fingers on the trigger prepared to fire if they felt threatened. The police were expecting to be confronted by an armed individual that had already prepared himself for a shootout with police - which is the picture this idiot portrayed on the 911 call.

I hope he spends no less than 30 years in prison.

Walmart 911-Caller Ronald Ritchie To Be Indicted For Lying To Police Before They Shot John Crawford - Counter Current News

[FONT=Tinos, serif]Fairborn Municipal Court Judge Beth Root has just decided that there is in fact probable cause to prosecute Ronald T. Ritchie for lying to a 9-1-1 dispatcher about John Crawford, in August of 2014.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tinos, serif]when this police shooting was discussed on this board, I noted [/FONT][FONT=Tinos, serif]that[/FONT][FONT=Tinos, serif] I believed that the person who called 9-1-1 was probably culpable for creating the environment that led to a needless shooting of Crawford. a year and a half later, it appears that the legal system agrees.

I just heard this story on my local news but this was the first thing I could find in terms of a report on the net
[/FONT]

Couldn't they argue that he negligently caused another person (the officer) to commit an act that would constitute the crime in question (negligent homicide) if not for a justification available to them (self-defense)? Which would make him liable for negligent homicide?

edit:

His wife is a two-faced lying piece of garbage too. I hope they don't have children.

What did the BB gun look like? Any pictures?

Oh they'll get on him on something serious. I seem to remember something abut this story.

[FONT=Tinos, serif][...]

[/FONT]

Yeah, pretty biased source with biased reporting.
Here is a different source.

Judge finds probable cause for 911 caller in Crawford shooting
Residents had sought charges in Beavercreek Walmart shooting.
[...]

Root found probable cause that Ronald T. Ritchie, the lone person to call 911 from Beavercreek’s Walmart before shots were fired Aug. 5, 2014, could be prosecuted for making false alarms, a first-degree misdemeanor punishable by maximums of six months in jail and a $1,000 fine.

There is uncertainty as to what legal steps may happen next, other than that Root wrote that the case should be referred to a prosecutor.

[...]

Root ruled that there was not probable cause to issue a criminal complaint against Ritchie for inciting to violence, inducing panic, involuntary manslaughter or reckless homicide.

[...]

Root wrote that the video — which she said was of poor quality — “contains approximately four minutes of Ronald Ritchie’s 911 call with accompanying footage of Mr. Crawford before the video shows the officer arriving. The video does depict Mr. Crawford swinging or waving an item in a casual manner while looking at a shelf at the time of the call.

“The item appears to be a rifle. At one point the caller advises that it appears that Mr. Crawford is trying to load the rifle. It is difficult to discern from the video what Mr. Crawford is doing at this point in time. The court does note that at the time that Ronald Ritchie is relaying to dispatch that Mr. Crawford is pointing the gun at two children, the video does not depict this event.”

[...]

“The court notes in this decision that it does not know whether this matter may have already been presented to a grand jury for review since grand jury proceedings are not public record,” Root wrote. “This court makes its determination based upon the facts in evidence and the standard of proof that applies at this time.”

[...]

Really?
I am sure that others do not see it that way.

but as I noted over a year ago-this asshole told the cops that the slain man was loading the weapon (complete BS)
The problem with that is that this is what he thought he heard. (as the video interview contained at your source showed)

and was pointing it at people (Complete BS)
Yes completely wrong.

But the report is coming from someone who believes it is a real gun and did see him swinging it around which is a danger to anybody nearby.

Even if he hadn't said it had been pointed it is likely the situation still would have happened as it did.
The Police would have responded, told him to put it down and when he did not they would have shot him.

What did the BB gun look like? Any pictures?

There's a video of the incident. The closed circuit security tapes were released a long time ago. You can find them on YouTube or LiveLeak.

Yeah, pretty biased source with biased reporting.
Here is a different source.

[...]

Root found probable cause that Ronald T. Ritchie, the lone person to call 911 from Beavercreek’s Walmart before shots were fired Aug. 5, 2014, could be prosecuted for making false alarms, a first-degree misdemeanor punishable by maximums of six months in jail and a $1,000 fine.

There is uncertainty as to what legal steps may happen next, other than that Root wrote that the case should be referred to a prosecutor.

[...]

Root ruled that there was not probable cause to issue a criminal complaint against Ritchie for inciting to violence, inducing panic, involuntary manslaughter or reckless homicide.

[...]

Root wrote that the video — which she said was of poor quality — “contains approximately four minutes of Ronald Ritchie’s 911 call with accompanying footage of Mr. Crawford before the video shows the officer arriving. The video does depict Mr. Crawford swinging or waving an item in a casual manner while looking at a shelf at the time of the call.

“The item appears to be a rifle. At one point the caller advises that it appears that Mr. Crawford is trying to load the rifle. It is difficult to discern from the video what Mr. Crawford is doing at this point in time. The court does note that at the time that Ronald Ritchie is relaying to dispatch that Mr. Crawford is pointing the gun at two children, the video does not depict this event.”

[...]

“The court notes in this decision that it does not know whether this matter may have already been presented to a grand jury for review since grand jury proceedings are not public record,” Root wrote. “This court makes its determination based upon the facts in evidence and the standard of proof that applies at this time.”

[...]

Really?
I am sure that others do not see it that way.

The problem with that is that this is what he thought he heard. (as the video interview contained at your source showed)

Yes completely wrong.

But the report is coming from someone who believes it is a real gun and did see him swinging it around which is a danger to anybody nearby.

Even if he hadn't said it had been pointed it is likely the situation still would have happened as it did.
The Police would have responded, told him to put it down and when he did not they would have shot him.
During the police interview when he realized that there was video evidence, he changed his story repeatedly. So he knew he was lying.

During the police interview when he realized that there was video evidence, he changed his story repeatedly. So he knew he was lying.

Funny, but that is not how it went down.

Go to the link in the OP, his police interview is there. Watch it.

Screw that.

Here is the video of the interview. Watch it.

Last edited:

There's a video of the incident. The closed circuit security tapes were released a long time ago. You can find them on YouTube or LiveLeak.

Thanks.

Funny, but that is not how it went down.

Go to the link in the OP, his police interview is there. Watch it.

Screw that.

Here is the video of the interview. Watch it.

I don't have 51 minutes.

26:24 Ritchie continues to modify his story upon seeing the video evidence. He no longer seems so certain that the suspect pointed the gun at officers. “But as soon as he [an officer] said ‘Put it down. Put it down’ he [the suspect] looked over and just, I guess, how he looked at the officer with the gun [Ritchie shrugs].”

I don't have 51 minutes.

Hilarious. What do you think that person's comment means and just how do you think that disputes what I already said?

Here's what he was carrying around:

Crossman MK 177.jpg

At the end of the day it is the police officer who decides whether or not a shooting is justified. All they can do is haul him into civil court if he has any assets.

It would be counter productive to hold 911 callers responsible for adverse outcomes unless you write "intent" into the law.

Yea you wouldn't be able to make the case for that as it would have had to be him directly that caused the death rather than indirectly.

Was it possible to see this outcome coming about?
Did the caller know this?
Did the caller lie about circumstances to heighten the possibility of a shooting?

Looking at how that municipal judge ruled, it will be awful hard to convict above Manslaughter. But negligence? Try fraud.

Was it possible to see this outcome coming about?
Did the caller know this?
Did the caller lie about circumstances to heighten the possibility of a shooting?

Looking at how that municipal judge ruled, it will be awful hard to convict above Manslaughter. But negligence? Try fraud.
If he is reporting what he believes it is not fraud.

Regardless, the following is what the judge has been quoted as saying.

[...]

[...]

[...]

[...]

[...]

Back
Top Bottom