• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Witnesses report shooting at Quebec City Mosque [W:42]

Same could be said for a Christian/Jewish/Hindou/Sikh refugee.

No hindus or buddhists or Christians have declared a religious jihad on non-muslims

Muslims are the threat to world peace not Sikhs

Re: Shooting at Quebec City Mosque

So I have been looking into this as Quebec is not something that I have cared much about over the years, though I have long considered their need to be separate from the rest of the country to be a ticking time bomb. The immigration story especially the Muslim immigration is a complex story, very interesting.

By the early 1990s, Québec had shifted from a homogenous Francophone, Catholic province to a considerably more multi-ethnic, multi-religious one, especially in its urban centers.

"New immigrants into Québec wanted to practice their faith in a very active, open way, and they began to pressure for changes in Québec society, in schools, social services and recreational facilities," says Behiels. "This enraged many of the old Catholics who had to give up all of that and had even lost their jobs following the Quiet Revolution."

The transformation took place so rapidly that it also created pressures for the government to "do something" to address the fear that Québécois identity was being lost, a fear most prevalent in rural communities.

"The irony is that there are hardly any (immigrants) who live in rural Québec, they all live in Montréal and the surrounding suburbs," says Behiels. "Yet there was this fear campaign that there would be too many Muslims."
Quebec charter left a legacy of religious, racial tension | Deseret News

Except it seems that in recent years Quebec City has had a rapidly expanding muslim population, expanding at up to double the rate of the rest of the nation, and this is especially explosive because of recent Quebec politics.

The proposed charter never took effect and historians say it contributed to last year's defeat of the ruling Party Québécois in parliamentary elections. But it has left an enduring tension between left and right, as well as between Francophones, Anglophones and immigrants. And observers fear if the residual impact of the proposed charter goes unchecked, relationships among Quebec’s diverse religious minorities and secular majority will worsen.

"These things come in cycles,” says Matthew Hayday, an associate professor in the Department of History at Guelph University in Ontario, Canada. “There is no way this is a dead issue; it is only dormant now because it was so heated during the last election cycle.

And this:
OCTOBER 31, 2016
Last week, Quebec’s Immigration Minister Kathleen Weil doubled down on a plan to maintain annual immigration levels above 50,000 for the coming year, despite political opposition. With a target of up to 31,200 to come through Quebec’s economic programs, Quebec will remain a force in the overall Canadian immigration landscape
Canada Immigration News - Immigration Plan 2017: Canada to Welcome Increased Number of Immigrants Through Economic and Family Sponsorship Programs

Shockingly enough HuffPost has a good piece:
Low Quebec Birthrate, Aging Population Spur Calls for Increased Immigration

Quebecers. Society’s targeting of Muslims has been more
prevalent in Quebec than anywhere else in Canada, and yet
Quebec Muslims are surprisingly upbeat. Muslims in Quebec
express the lowest levels of concern about discrimination
against their community and about the provisions in Bill
C-51. They are among the most positive about how future
generations will be treated, and their level of pride in being
Canadian has jumped dramatically over the past 10 years.
While these findings may appear counterintuitive, it could
well be that Quebec Muslims are feeling a sense of relief
having dodged two recent bullets. First, the election defeat
of the PQ Government and its proposed Charter of Values
that would have banned the wearing of religious symbols
in the public service. And second, the election defeat of the
Harper Conservatives which stoked anti-Muslim sentiment
during its recent reelection campaign, especially in Quebec.
http://www.environicsinstitute.org/... of muslims in canada 2016 - final report.pdf

Three-quarters believe Muslims should have the right to pray in public
schools, with smaller majorities supporting the right for women to wear
the niqab at citizenship ceremonies and when receiving public services.
Non-Muslims are somewhat less supportive, especially in Quebec.

No hindus or buddhists or Christians have declared a religious jihad on non-muslims

Muslims are the threat to world peace not Sikhs

Are you claiming that you can look at a Hindou/Buddhist/Christian/Sikh refugee and know they will not present any risk to any American?

Also: once one looks into this it becomes clear that the official line "We love Muslims, Y'all come!" is the line from the elite, but that this is not so solidly believed by the Canadian Little People, especially in Quebec. I am also taken by the fact that Canada has decided like Merkel that Muslim immigration is a solution to low birth rates, that they have assumed that African Muslims will adopt the culture they move to, and that this is not really working out.

Last edited:
Are you claiming that you can look at a Hindou/Buddhist/Christian/Sikh refugee and know they will not present any risk to any American?

I play the odds.

I have no specific idea about any person but do know that buddhists as a whole are more peaceful than muslims

I play the odds.

I have no specific idea about any person but do know that buddhists as a whole are more peaceful than muslims

So you admit you cannot know?
Then we are in agreement the same could be said for a Christian/Jewish/Hindou/Sikh refugee.

So you admit you cannot know?

Then we are in agreement the same could be said for a Christian/Jewish/Hindou/Sikh refugee.

Admit it?

yes, and neither can you

Which is why I have no confidence in the so-called "vetting" process for muslims

If that were the case there would be a universal ban on only Muslims. The ban imposed by President Trump is no different than the ban(s) imposed by President Obama...and you never said **** about the bans imposed by President Obama.

You are being ridiculous.

Obama never signed a ban, so that's probably why no one was upset about the ban he didn't impose. Trump's order and those by Obama are really nothing at all alike.

It is official, Alexandre Bissonnette has been charged with 6 counts of first degree murder.

Obama never signed a ban, so that's probably why no one was upset about the ban he didn't impose. Trump's order and those by Obama are really nothing at all alike.

Funny because the direct verbiage from the Presidential Proclamation signed by Obama states that very thing. Tell me...how many visas did he process from Iraq in those 6 months?

It is official, Alexandre Bissonnette has been charged with 6 counts of first degree murder.
Perhaps he can share a date in hell with Dylan Roof.

Y'all don't have the death penalty, do you?

Y'all don't have the death penalty, do you?

Not for a very long time, turns out people don't like it when you hang children.

Funny because the direct verbiage from the Presidential Proclamation signed by Obama states that very thing. Tell me...how many visas did he process from Iraq in those 6 months?

Not sure because I can't find out which six months. For the six months ended Dec 1, it was apparently about 3,500. You can do the search here if you know the dates:

Refugee Processing Center > Interactive Reporting

or here: Refugee Processing Center > Interactive Reporting

And of course Obama's "ban not a ban" was for one country and just affected refugees. Trump's affects nearly all travelers from 7 countries.

Admit it?

yes, and neither can you

Which is why I have no confidence in the so-called "vetting" process for muslims

Or any other group. Heck how do you even know if someone is a Muslim unless they say so and even then....

So not an immigrant but apparently a pure laine. Wonder how that will be spun by some people

Not sure because I can't find out which six months. For the six months ended Dec 1, it was apparently about 3,500. You can do the search here if you know the dates:

And of course Obama's "ban not a ban" was for one country and just affected refugees. Trump's affects nearly all travelers from 7 countries.
"We are currently supporting dozens of current counter-terrorism investigations like that," FBI Agent Gregory Carl, director of the Terrorist Explosive Device Analytical Center (TEDAC), said in an ABC News interview to be broadcast tonight on ABC News' "World News with Diane Sawyer" and "Nightline".

"I wouldn't be surprised if there were many more than that," said House Committee on Homeland Security Chairman Michael McCaul. "And these are trained terrorists in the art of bombmaking that are inside the United States; and quite frankly, from a homeland security perspective, that really concerns me."

As a result of the Kentucky case, the State Department stopped processing Iraq refugees for six months in 2011, federal officials told ABC News – even for many who had heroically helped U.S. forces as interpreters and intelligence assets. One Iraqi who had aided American troops was assassinated before his refugee application could be processed, because of the immigration delays, two U.S. officials said. In 2011, fewer than 10,000 Iraqis were resettled as refugees in the U.S., half the number from the year before, State Department statistics show."
Al Qaeda in Kentucky: US May Have Let 'Dozens' of Terrorists Into Country as Refugees - ABC News

Obama imposed 6 different bans at varying times throughout his administration. Liberals never said a ****ing word. They have **** for credibility. Sorry...thats just a reality. You cant ignore the actions of a democrat president, COMPLETELY ignore the violence that CREATED those refugees, then suddenly pretend to give a **** about those refugees when a GOP president does the exact same thing the democrat president did. It just makes you look stupid.

The suspect followed several profiles that espouse right-wing ideologies, including that of Marine Le Pen, the far-right leader of France's National Front.

A woman who identified herself as a neighbour of Bissonnette's parents in Cap-Rouge said the suspect had recently moved into an apartment that he was renting with his twin brother, not far from the mosque where the shooting occurred.

"He is a child," she said. "You couldn't find one more calm than that. He never did anything, he always kept to himself. We never heard of anything."
Quebec City mosque attack suspect Alexandre Bissonnette charged with 6 counts of 1st-degree murder - Montreal - CBC News

This is starting to remind me of the deadly 2014 Elliot Rodger mental break. From reports he was bound tight to his brother but no one else seems to ever had much interaction with him.

Obama imposed 6 different bans at varying times throughout his administration. Liberals never said a ****ing word. They have **** for credibility. Sorry...thats just a reality. You cant ignore the actions of a democrat president, COMPLETELY ignore the violence that CREATED those refugees, then suddenly pretend to give a **** about those refugees when a GOP president does the exact same thing the democrat president did. It just makes you look stupid.

OK so you ask a question, get an answer with a link that's definitely not zero, not a ban, ignore it, cite an article that says in fact 10,000 Iraqis were resettled during that year, then go off about how liberals have no credibility. What is not credible about EVIDENCE with hard numbers provided to you with a link? What do you want if not that? And even if we call the Iraqi "ban not a ban" an actual ban, it only affected refugees applying for permanent residence, and not to virtually every other Iraqi holding a visa. It was also a "ban" enacted after a credible threat, and involved only that country, not seven.

And if you have evidence for the six different BANS then present it. I haven't seen it. If you want to call the "ban not a ban" Iraqi deal one of those six, fine. You need five more.

Finally, who "ignored the violence that created those refugees"? You appear to be moving the goal posts all over the damn field and I have no idea what we're talking about now.

Quebec City mosque attack suspect Alexandre Bissonnette charged with 6 counts of 1st-degree murder - Montreal - CBC News

This is starting to remind me of the deadly 2014 Elliot Rodger mental break. From reports he was bound tight to his brother but no one else seems to ever had much interaction with him.

I'm not asserting anything but it's always pretty amazing how when white guys engage in acts of terror, we blame mental health issues nearly always but when a Muslim does it no one seems to care much about mental health - they're just "terrorists."

OK so you ask a question, get an answer with a link that's definitely not zero, not a ban, ignore it, cite an article that says in fact 10,000 Iraqis were resettled during that year, then go off about how liberals have no credibility. What is not credible about EVIDENCE with hard numbers provided to you with a link? What do you want if not that? And even if we call the Iraqi "ban not a ban" an actual ban, it only affected refugees applying for permanent residence, and not to virtually every other Iraqi holding a visa. It was also a "ban" enacted after a credible threat, and involved only that country, not seven.

And if you have evidence for the six different BANS then present it. I haven't seen it. If you want to call the "ban not a ban" Iraqi deal one of those six, fine. You need five more.

Finally, who "ignored the violence that created those refugees"? You appear to be moving the goal posts all over the damn field and I have no idea what we're talking about now.
:lamo

How many Iraqis were resettled during the 6 month ban? How long is the current 'ban'?

What...you think those refugees just suddenly popped up out of nowhere? Where was your concern when people were being killed? Where was your outrage? Where was your call to action?

:lamo

How many Iraqis were resettled during the 6 month ban? How long is the current 'ban'?

I've already answered this question so do you have a point somewhere?

What...you think those refugees just suddenly popped up out of nowhere? Where was your concern when people were being killed? Where was your outrage? Where was your call to action?

I really don't know what in the hell you're going on about now. It's not related to this topic, so I'll pass following you down that rathole.

I've already answered this question so do you have a point somewhere?

I really don't know what in the hell you're going on about now. It's not related to this topic, so I'll pass following you down that rathole.
No you didnt...you tried to twist it by saying "1000 in a year". I asked a simple, direct question. How many visas were processed during the 6 month ban?

No you didnt...you tried to twist it by saying "1000 in a year". I asked a simple, direct question. How many visas were processed during the 6 month ban?

Maybe you're just not reading replies. I'll quote post 215:

Embiggened for the reading impaired....:roll:

I picked those dates because apparently the scare happened in May 2011. So I started the 6 month period June 1. Seemed reasonable but do the work yourself if you don't like my source.

Back
Top Bottom