• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Without the right of the people to keep and bear arms, how are they supposed to protect themselves?

Without the right of the people to keep and bear arms, how are they supposed to protect themselves?

• Magic spells, prayers, wishing - that sort of thing.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Which definition of mass shootings are you using?

I'm not interested in nit picking over a definition. Generally what I mean is people going into public places like schools, malls, grocery stores, concerts and movie theaters with the intent of killing as many people as they can.

I'm not interested in nit picking over a definition. Generally what I mean is people going into public places like schools, malls, grocery stores, concerts and movie theaters with the intent of killing as many people as they can.
Statistics requires that nits are picked. Regarding the definition you propose:
Nearly all mass shooters are men. White men are about 60% of all men. White men are about 60% of mass shooters. It’s purely demographics.

Regarding the shootings that the media includes in "mass shootings", ie, 3 or 4 shot regardless of wounded or dead, POCs are the main perps:

Statistics requires that nits are picked. Regarding the definition you propose:
Nearly all mass shooters are men. White men are about 60% of all men. White men are about 60% of mass shooters. It’s purely demographics.

Regarding the shootings that the media includes in "mass shootings", ie, 3 or 4 shot regardless of wounded or dead, POCs are the main perps:

None of which explains why this is almost exclusively an American phenomenon. You seem to want to avoid that.

None of which explains why this is almost exclusively an American phenomenon. You seem to want to avoid that.
We have a higher percentage of violent people. Australia allows ownership of 9mm pistols, and criminals can certainly get them, but their criminals don't just fire randomly into crowds because they see members of opposing criminal groups in that crowd. Our non-firearm homicide rate is still twice that of Europe even with the availability of firearms.

I suppose you have some Eurocentric proposal that would fail here in the US?

What is exclusive to America is we have very very lax gun laws

We have a higher percentage of violent people. Australia allows ownership of 9mm pistols, and criminals can certainly get them, but their criminals don't just fire randomly into crowds because they see members of opposing criminal groups in that crowd. Our non-firearm homicide rate is still twice that of Europe even with the availability of firearms.

I suppose you have some Eurocentric proposal that would fail here in the US?
I agree you have a higher number of violent people. There also seems to be a lot of hate and anger. The question is why and what needs to change? The problem is uniquely American and the solution has to be as well.

I agree you have a higher number of violent people. There also seems to be a lot of hate and anger. The question is why and what needs to change? The problem is uniquely American and the solution has to be as well.
Better socials services is one idea. I'm not sure how to address the cultural causes of violence.

Better socials services is one idea. I'm not sure how to address the cultural causes of violence.
Name the country with lax gun laws and better social services that has low gun deaths

I don't agree we are more violent. We just have better tools
That is what Ruker61 said in post 879. I have a home in FL and liver there 4 months of the year. I don't know about violence but you sure have one heck of a lot of hatred and anger which when coupled with easy access to powerful weapons can easily cause violence. As was seen yesterday in Buffalo.

That is what Ruker61 said in post 879. I have a home in FL and liver there 4 months of the year. I don't know about violence but you sure have one heck of a lot of hatred and anger which when coupled with easy access to powerful weapons can easily cause violence. As was seen yesterday in Buffalo.
No firearm purchased in New York can be considered to be acquired through "easy access".

I think that is because generally it is understood what the problem is with Black on Black crime in poor inner cities. I am quite sure you two have very definite opinions on why. The incidents of mass shootings mainly by young white men are an American phenomenon that no one seems to want to understand. In my opinion protection of the 1st without limitations is more important to a heck of a lot of people than protecting life.
Will I see it didn't take long for someone to pull the race card. In your ignorance you equate the killings that get the most press to be the norm. No the fact is the vast majority of mass shooting are perpetrated by gang bangers. In fact, black men and teens are 20 times more likely to be shot than their white counterparts and almost all of them are shot by other blacks. As long as they cling to their gangsta attitudes this will continue to happen.

Will I see it didn't take long for someone to pull the race card. In your ignorance you equate the killings that get the most press to be the norm. No the fact is the vast majority of mass shooting are perpetrated by gang bangers. In fact, black men and teens are 20 times more likely to be shot than their white counterparts and almost all of them are shot by other blacks. As long as they cling to their gangsta attitudes this will continue to happen.

There are two very serious yet different issues with gun violence. You choose to focus only one of them because the other one is more uncomfortable.

There are two very serious yet different issues with gun violence. You choose to focus only one of them because the other one is more uncomfortable.
You mean like you only focusing on the race issue? I look at the source of the majority of the problem. When 7% of the population is responsible for 85% of gun crime people with working brains say that is the place to start.

You on the other hand would rather pander and race bait.

You mean like you only focusing on the race issue? I look at the source of the majority of the problem. When 7% of the population is responsible for 85% of gun crime people with working brains say that is the place to start.

That is total BS. There are two very serious issues. I acknowledge both black gang violence and white angry young men....do you?

Where would you like to start?

Where would you like to start?

Legalize drugs. Treat drug addition as the disease it is. Take that profit center away from the gangs. They will quit fighting over turf and joining gangs will no longer be so attractive to young blacks and Hispanics. Mexico and the rest of Central America would be a much safer place.

Change the way we handle the mentally ill. Presently we either turn them out on the street or let their family's try to contend with them or house them in our jails.

Legalize drugs. Treat drug addition as the disease it is. Take that profit center away from the gangs. They will quit fighting over turf and joining gangs will no longer be so attractive to young blacks and Hispanics. Mexico and the rest of Central America would be a much safer place.

Change the way we handle the mentally ill. Presently we either turn them out on the street or let their family's try to contend with them or house them in our jails.
The gop will never ever ever ever go for it

Take it up with them

That is total BS. There are two very serious issues. I acknowledge both black gang violence and white angry young men....do you?
It's gang violence and angry men; gangs aren't just Black, and mass shooters aren't just white or young.

Surely you don't believe in a never-changing interpretation of the Constitution? I thought that was the charge leveled at some of the other guys.
There is a difference between originalism (which I reject) and stare decisis (which I support).

It take 2/3rds of the States to propose an amendment, however, it takes 3/4ths of the States to ratify an amendment, maybe you should re-read Article 5.

Article 5
The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, or, on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention for proposing Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as Part of this Constitution, when ratified by the Legislatures of three fourths of the several States, or by Conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other Mode of Ratification may be proposed by the Congress; Provided that no Amendment which may be made prior to the Year One thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any Manner affect the first and fourth Clauses in the Ninth Section of the first Article; and that no State, without its Consent, shall be deprived of its equal Suffrage in the Senate.
I should! Thanks for the correction.

Cruikshank affirmed an individual right and absolutely prohibited the federal government from infringing that right.

Had you read anything about NFA 1934?

Since the Second hasn't been repealed, can you show where the Constitution granted that power?

I've never made any claim otherwise. Until McDonald the Second was never incorporated against the states, so states had the authority to pass gun laws.

3/4ths, according to your oft cited Article V.
Individual federal laws do not override Constitutional powers. SCOTUS opinions can over rule prior SCOTUS decisions.

Back
Top Bottom