• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Without the right of the people to keep and bear arms, how are they supposed to protect themselves?

Without the right of the people to keep and bear arms, how are they supposed to protect themselves?

• Magic spells, prayers, wishing - that sort of thing.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

neil

DP Veteran
Reaction score
The 2nd Amendment to the United States is as follows: A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

For those who don't like the 2nd Amendment and want it repealed, I'm curious & would like to understand your line of reasoning.

My reasoning is very simple: Guns are the deadliest objects in the world. One stray bullet will instantly kill any living creature. They are only useful murder tools.

In 1790, every man and woman needed a gun. But the Second Amendment was badly written and would have been repealed decades ago if it was just a law, not in the Constitution. How everyone got the right to keep and bear arms was a huge mistake.

If you have enough money to buy a gun, you can afford a home security system like ADT and do not need one inside the house. Besides, you will probably be asleep anyway because break-ins happen at night, which makes firearms useless.

Last edited:
The 2nd Amendment to the United States is as follows: A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

For those who don't like the 2nd Amendment and want it repealed, I'm curious & would like to understand your line of reasoning.

I'd say, judging from the many arguments I've encountered against the right to keep and bear arms, the idea is that no one needs that "dangerous" level of self-protection.

That they should depend on either the good-will of opponents or the government to protect them.

This of course ignores all the examples of threats from criminals, terrorists, hate groups, and authoritarian forms of government of all kinds.

Is the use of deadly force the only way you know how to protect yourself? What militia are you a part? Are you helping to keep your state free and secure?

Exactly what percentage of Dems do you think want the 2A repealed?

My reasoning is very simple: Guns are the deadliest objects in the world. One stray bullet will instantly kill any living creature. They are only useful murder tools.

In 1790, every man and woman needed a gun. But the Second Amendment was badly written and would have been repealed decades ago if it was just a law, not in the Constitution. How everyone got the right to keep and bear arms was a huge mistake.

If you have enough money to buy a gun, you can afford a home security system like ADT and do not need one inside the house. Besides, you will probably be asleep anyway because break-ins happen at night, which makes firearms useless.
Do you think the founding fathers were only thinking of hunting as the reason to declare a right to bear arms? Or could it also have been for protection from all dangers, including that of a tyrannical government?

Have you ever been a burglary victim in your home?

Do you think the founding fathers were only thinking of hunting as the reason to declare a right to bear arms? Or could it also have been for protection from all dangers, including that of a tyrannical government?

At the time, there was no technology to keep people out of their homes. No security systems, glass windows and doors, etc. So of course the Founding Fathers were also thinking about everyone's safety. Now that we have the ability to protect ourselves at home without guns (and many ways to get meat without shooting wild animals)), the people who need guns are the ones who can't afford them.

We just recently had a tyrannical government. How well did the Second Amendment help us then?

Call the police. Buy a security system.
We have had a security system, and we have called police.
Security systems can be overcome or otherwise defeated and given the current state of affairs with police, help is minutes away when seconds count.
For those reasons I continue to favor having one more tool in the toolbox and will continue to maintain a pistol next to my bedside as I have since I was nineteen years old.

At the time, there was no technology to keep people out of their homes. No security systems, glass windows and doors, etc. So of course the Founding Fathers were also thinking about everyone's safety. Now that we have the ability to protect ourselves at home without guns (and many ways to get meat without shooting wild animals)), the people who need guns are the ones who can't afford them.

We just recently had a tyrannical government. How well did the Second Amendment help us then?
Security systems aren't going to keep someone from breaking into your home. Most doors are easily broken off its frames. And the response time of most PD today you could be robbed and killed before they even leave the parking lot that a cruiser is sitting in.

We miraculously did not reach that stage. But thanks to efforts to weaken democratic governance it is now a bigger possibility than ever before in our history that ordinary people may very well wind up having to resort to taking matters into their own hands under such an emergency. It's pretty pathetic that we have to think more along those lines than ever before.

Security systems aren't going to keep someone from breaking into your home. Most doors are easily broken off its frames. And the response time of most PD today you could be robbed and killed before they even leave the parking lot that a cruiser is sitting in.

Most exterior doors have deadbolt locks. I have only heard of one case where a burglar kicked a door in, The home owner was on vacation, so a gun would have been completely useless. Security systems are necessary for that, not guns.

How do you expect a gun to be useful at all for people who are asleep or not home?

How's about every gun owner be required to serve 2 yrs. in the national guard (A well regulated Militia), , with mandatory reserve status until 65. Also all guns should be registered, some should be banned, such as High capacity, semi automatics & oversize magazines. Of course, these rights can be taken away if one is involved in spousal abuse, a violent felony etc.
Guns are still useful tools, especially in rural, livestock raising areas, also as harvesting meat protein in the wild. Not to mention dangerous snakes threatening horses.

Which is why small children should be armed at all times. How are they supposed to protect themselves on the playground?

Of course not. I keep my windows shut all the time and doors locked whenever possible. My area is very safe; I am probably the only person under age 60.

I didn't say anything about windows being open or doors being unlocked.
So, you've never experienced having your home broken into.
I hesitate to take your overall frame of reference as seriously, knowing this.

There's no such thing as an area that is very safe in this day and age.
And as to your age, if the majority of people in your area are over sixty, that's actually a higher risk.

We miraculously did not reach that stage. But thanks to efforts to weaken democratic governance it is now a bigger possibility than ever before in our history that ordinary people may very well wind up having to resort to taking matters into their own hands under such an emergency. It's pretty pathetic that we have to think more along those lines than ever before.

A Capital cop is certainly one kind of person I want to have guns. Ordinary people like Ashli Babbitt? Nope, in fact they were responsible for making the situation worse.

The 2A does not preclude either. When seconds really matter, the police are mere minutes away.

In some parts of the country response times are so abysmal you might as well rename 9-1-1 as "Dial-A-Prayer".
And no, that does not automatically translate to only remote rural areas either.

Most exterior doors have deadbolt locks. I have only heard of one case where a burglar kicked a door in, The home owner was on vacation, so a gun would have been completely useless. Security systems are necessary for that, not guns.

How do you expect a gun to be useful at all for people who are asleep or not home?
My son had his security door kicked in twice. Even with reinforced framing. You simply don't know what you're taking about.

I have an alarm system and a gun on my nightstand. I'm pretty sure by the time anyone reached by bedroom I would be ready for them.

Back
Top Bottom