• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Withdrawing social participation due to opposiing political views - B Springsteen etc

NoLeftNoRight

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Numerous liberal, Progressive or otherwise Left Leaning businesses and entertainers have decided not to participate in states where legislative actions have been enacted to protect the rights of the majority over perceived intrusions of common sense, historical traditions. Traditions such as men using the men's restroom and women using a woman's bathroom.
While these concepts seem, on the surface, solidly best practice as common sense can afford, the minority insists that it gets it's way or they will not participate financially or in the case of some "artists", performing in such areas.

Others who have used this leverage include Disney, PayPal and many others.

Is such withdrawal a good idea? Does it benefit society at large or just a small, but very vocal and menacing minority?

And if so, why aren't Conservatives and the Right, in general, boycotting the Left in a similar fashion? Why is it that only the left plays this game?
If it's effective, and drives modern social, political and economic policy, is the Right missing out and submitting to the whim of the Left?

Should the right be vigorously boycotting the NFL, Disney, PayPal, Hollywood etc?

Re: Withdrawing social participation due to opposiing political views - B Springsteen

As I said in another topic, further national polarization will only exacerbate the split in the country, regardless of the moral standing of either sides. Liberals steamrolled a significantly conservative country into institutionalizing gay marriage nationwide, and it already doesn't bode well for the country.

Nevertheless, your perception of reality is warped to say the least. Although the U.S's liberalism is systematically overestimated, liberals aren't a minority. Furthermore, conservatives are yet to discover the power of boycotts because they're beholden to moneymakers and moneymaking. That's not to say they won't ever set themselves free, but this is reality unadulterated.

Re: Withdrawing social participation due to opposiing political views - B Springsteen

I feel bad for the Springsteen fans, but that is as far as I go on that. He has a right to boycott whatever he pleases, others have the right to boycott him if necessary. Remember the Dixie Chicks on one side and Chick-Fil-A on the other?

Numerous liberal, Progressive or otherwise Left Leaning businesses and entertainers have decided not to participate in states where legislative actions have been enacted to protect the rights of the majority over perceived intrusions of common sense, historical traditions. Traditions such as men using the men's restroom and women using a woman's bathroom.
While these concepts seem, on the surface, solidly best practice as common sense can afford, the minority insists that it gets it's way or they will not participate financially or in the case of some "artists", performing in such areas.

Is such withdrawal a good idea? Does it benefit society at large or just a small, but very vocal and menacing minority?

And if so, why aren't Conservatives and the Right, in general, boycotting the Left in a similar fashion? Why is it that only the left plays this game?
If it's effective, and drives modern social, political and economic policy, is the Right missing out and submitting to the whim of the Left?

Should the right be vigorously boycotting the NFL, Disney, PayPal, Hollywood etc?

This is nothing more than approved bullying . :roll:

This is nothing more than approved bullying . :roll:

...or freedom of speech

You have to be kidding

Just look up on Google how many christian groups boycott various companies for various issues. To say the right never boycotts is just flat out wrong

Golly gee whiz, Gomer, why do those leftists hate us so much? All we want to do is to be able to discriminate against whoever it is we wanted to discriminate against - and the freedom to discriminate is obviously so much better than freedom from discrimination, ain't it? Of course, the freedom to discriminate is only good for those of us who're doin' the discriminatin'....

I fully support liberal elites in the entertainment industry using their perceived importance to push their social agendas. It also helps me in determining how I will expend my entertainment dollars, and I most assuredly do not waste any of my money on those who preach politics from an entertainment pulpit.

If they really want to be effective they need to brainwash children in school on their social agendas and then brag about how the younger generation supports their views years later. The left loves doing this and I have to say it's very effective.

You have to be kidding

Just look up on Google how many christian groups boycott various companies for various issues. To say the right never boycotts is just flat out wrong

Quick question - is it Tammerlain? Or Tammer the Lame? (sorry - the old military-history geek/punster couldn't resist)

I fully support liberal elites in the entertainment industry using their perceived importance to push their social agendas. It also helps me in determining how I will expend my entertainment dollars, and I most assuredly do not waste any of my money on those who preach politics from an entertainment pulpit.

So I take it you don't watch much TV or many movies.

You will save a lot of money that way.... ;)

Conservatives have every right to spend their money or perform where and how they wish, within the limits of the law. If they wish to get political in how they do so, power to them.

Why is this a "menacing minority"? They won't just shut up and accept 2nd class citizen status?

So I take it you don't watch much TV or many movies.

Not that much. I do pay for the service, so TV is different than seeking out entertainment choices, but I think most people understood what I was saying.

As for movies, I think the last movie I paid to see was Titanic, and that was before DiCaprio got all insane and ignorant about the environment.

The Right was all for boycotts when it suited them- like the anger over a pagan symbol for Proctor and Gamble- if one speaks of tradition, then the Right didn't mind toppling tradition. Oreo got Right wing heat for a Gay pride Oreo. Liberty council called for a Target boycott when that corporation supported gay rights and marriage equality. Social Conservatives attacked McDonald's, Starbucks, paypal, and Lowe's for saying 'Happy Holidays'. Franklin Graham joined other groups boycotting Girl Scout cookies because of the TG tolerance of that organization...

So I'd say the Right whines about boycotts only if someone else is doing it... ;)

Yep, me too. My wife always says you're being childish for not buying that song, or that dvd, or going to that movie because I know full-well the politics of the person in it. I say, so what, it's only a small thing but to me it's about principle not effectiveness. I just wish they'd do it more, including entire corporations, makes for easier principled activism. I wouldn't buy anything Disney if it were entirely up to me, but unfortunately my wife still buys the kids their DVD's and of course there's the Grandma factor.. :)

Tim-

Yep, me too. My wife always says you're being childish for not buying that song, or that dvd, or going to that movie because I know full-well the politics of the person in it. I say, so what, it's only a small thing but to me it's about principle not effectiveness. I just wish they'd do it more, including entire corporations, makes for easier principled activism. I wouldn't buy anything Disney if it were entirely up to me, but unfortunately my wife still buys the kids their DVD's and of course there's the Grandma factor.. :)

Tim-

An informed consumer is a powerful consumer - works both ways, and as previously mentioned, the Dixie Chicks found out the hard way a decade or so ago.

I have my own little criteria too, and I know my "voting with my wallet" doesn't have an impact--Kraft, for example, appears to be doing just fine without my purchasing their products for over 20 years, but I won't do it. Won't buy the music of wife-beaters or see the films of cheaters (IRS or spouse, LOL), and Scientology will never get a dime from me.

A fundamental facet of free markets is withholding custom from bad actors. The only check, as far as I know. Charge too much, sell poisonous food, whatever and no one will buy from you.

I dont mind 'the left' boycotting. I think its inaccurate to suggest 'the right' doesnt boycott. At the end of the day, the greatest voting tool we have in this country is the money in our wallet. If there is a political group you have supported that then changes...stop donating to it. If you belong to a group or club or say internet debate site and you dont like the direction it is going...stop donating to it. If you dont like menu changes at a restaurant...stop going there. If you want to SUPPORT someone for taking a stand....by all means...make that extra trip to show your appreciation and support.

More than the people boycotting an individual, group, or business...the onus is really on the individual, group, or business. Do you take a stand based on your principles, values, and morals, or do you cave for the dollar? Do you find a way to provide a product while maintaining a position based on your own principles, values, and morals?

The Right was all for boycotts when it suited them- like the anger over a pagan symbol for Proctor and Gamble- if one speaks of tradition, then the Right didn't mind toppling tradition. Oreo got Right wing heat for a Gay pride Oreo. Liberty council called for a Target boycott when that corporation supported gay rights and marriage equality. Social Conservatives attacked McDonald's, Starbucks, paypal, and Lowe's for saying 'Happy Holidays'. Franklin Graham joined other groups boycotting Girl Scout cookies because of the TG tolerance of that organization...

So I'd say the Right whines about boycotts only if someone else is doing it... ;)

I agree - nobody has a monopoly on this kind of thing and often, whomever starts it, the other side will come in and support the boycotted business. Wouldn't surprise me if North Carolina becomes the Christian holiday spot of choice this summer.

It is their business and can run it as they see fit, something the Right has pushed for many times, things have a way of coming back to haunt us.

I have my own little criteria too, and I know my "voting with my wallet" doesn't have an impact--Kraft, for example, appears to be doing just fine without my purchasing their products for over 20 years, but I won't do it. Won't buy the music of wife-beaters or see the films of cheaters (IRS or spouse, LOL), and Scientology will never get a dime from me.

We can only be responsible for our own action. It is so in a free society.
Much of what we do may not make much of a wave, but at the end of the day, we have to look at the man or woman in the mirror.
I am not watching many tv programs because they are not to my moral standards.
"How to get away with murder"
"Heartbeat"

Unfortunately its hard to tell just from the methods, whether or not its good behavior.

After all, isn't what Bruce is protesting (people not working on something that violates their principle) the same method he is using to protest it? (not working in the state because their position violates his principle).

Just as "killing" is neither bad nor good, but the wise among us understand that killing someone who is a threat to your family because they are trying to rob you, may be good, and the flip side, killing a civilian who you are trying to steal from on a whim, is bad.

Why matters. His methods are largely irrelevant.

I agree - nobody has a monopoly on this kind of thing and often, whomever starts it, the other side will come in and support the boycotted business. Wouldn't surprise me if North Carolina becomes the Christian holiday spot of choice this summer.

Ever been to North Carolina in the summer??? :(

Branson Missouri is the 'Christian' Holiday spot and I don't think they will surrender that Thorn of Crowns easily... :peace

Back
Top Bottom