• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

With three GOP senators on board to vote for Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson, it's looking like a done deal..

Do you really think Jackson brought as much baggage to her confirmation hearings as Thomas did?
I think both nominees were good choices and should have received overwhelming votes (assuming only 3 Republicans vote for Jackson). It’s obviously all about politics and the racial component of politics that make both nomination processes so nasty.

These are the same basic cast of clowns behind the Garland / Comey farce. The bottom line is that they will do anything they can to prevent Democrats from seating a judge. It does not matter who the nominee is nor how well qualified they are. I suspect their calculus is something to the effect of "if we can stall this until the next term, then we'll be in control and can stall it for another two years."

Well, to be fair, I put as much blame for Garland on Obama as I do on McConnell. He could have gotten Garland on the bench if he had played hardball. McConnell knew Obama was going to a push-over, though, so I can't really blame him for capitalizing on his weakness. It's not supposed to be easy to be President.

Of course, that’s what all the people who want it to be about race say.
Speak for yourself. I do not believe this was about race for most Senators . It would be the same if she was lily white.

Speak for yourself. I do not believe this was about race for most Senators . It would be the same if she was lily white.
Agreed. If he were an elderly white male from rural Nebraska, they'd still vote against him because they do not believe they can call something a win unless the Democrats specifically take a loss.

That'll be a buzzkill for the "No White Republicans will vote for a Black woman Justice" crowd.
Since there is only one black republican...you get the math.

When you're on the bench, you write opinions. When you publish legal scholarship, you produce books and/or articles. So I don't see where your question comes from.
I hear a lot of people talking about different potential Supreme Court candidates and about how this one is qualified and that one isn’t, but no one ever talks about the qualifications, so I was curious.

Gotta say... that's really disheartening. I expected as much from the bottom-feeders like Graham, Cruz, Hawley, Cotton , and Blackburn. But Ben Sasse? C'mon.... think for yourself, man.
Time to take names and get the word out on all eleven of these racist GOP Senators:

Grassley, Graham, Cronyn, Lee, Cruz, Sasse, Hawley, Cotton, Kennedy, Tillis and Blackburn.

Hum Interesting makeup of the various members.

The Republicans have 11 white men, and 1 white woman.
The democrates have 5 white men 2 white women , 2 minority men , and 1 woman of asian descent.

And, the group of republicans include some of the most screwy republicans, such as Graham, Cruz, Cotton and Hawley.

Time to take names and get the word out on all eleven of these racist GOP Senators:

Grassley, Graham, Cronyn, Lee, Cruz, Sasse, Hawley, Cotton, Kennedy, Tillis and Blackburn.
What makes them racists?

🤣

I have no idea what you're trying to say. But yes, I'm completely OK with 48 Democrats voting against Justice Thomas.

Three more votes against him, and we'd be living in a different world.

If Reagan wasn't so racist in his Circuit Court picks, we could have had someone like Judge Ann Claire Williams on the 7th Circuit by the time Bush made his SCOTUS pick. Reagan had two 7th Circuit picks after he named her to the District Court.... and one of those was a total stuffed shirt. Judge Williams, given her solid law-and-order credentials, would have been a natural pick for Bush to replace Marshall.

I think both nominees were good choices and should have received overwhelming votes (assuming only 3 Republicans vote for Jackson). It’s obviously all about politics and the racial component of politics that make both nomination processes so nasty.
Unbelievable! Tinni Ginni used every lever in her reach to compromise the 2020 election results in an effort to keep Trump in power. Her efforts cast doubt on her husband’s integrity.

Anita Hill also cast doubt on Thomas’ integrity.

Last edited:
Well, to be fair, I put as much blame for Garland on Obama as I do on McConnell. He could have gotten Garland on the bench if he had played hardball. McConnell knew Obama was going to a push-over, though, so I can't really blame him for capitalizing on his weakness. It's not supposed to be easy to be President.
By doing what?

I hear a lot of people talking about different potential Supreme Court candidates and about how this one is qualified and that one isn’t, but no one ever talks about the qualifications, so I was curious.

Fair enough. I will say this, though... I'd prefer Judges who know their own mind and who don't feel like they have to pigeon-hole themselves into some predetermined judicial philosophy. They shouldn't be an activist or a textualist or an originalist or another "ist" - that's just role playing.

Unbelievable! Tinni Ginni used every lever in her reach to compromise the 2020 election results in an effort to keep Trump in power. Her efforts cast doubt on her husband’s integrity.

Anita Hill also cast doubt on Thomas integrity.
Anita Hill’s story was found wanting. Thomas’s wife had no impact on his nomination or vote.

Hum Interesting makeup of the various members.

The Republicans have 11 white men, and 1 white woman.
The democrates have 5 white men 2 white women , 2 minority men , and 1 woman of asian descent.

And, the group of republicans include some of the most screwy republicans, such as Graham, Cruz, Cotton and Hawley.
How did all that crazy get concentrated on one committee?

They joined together to shun a highly qualified Black female jurist. Shame on all of them, a collective group of jerks!
That makes them politicians, doesn’t not racists.

Back
Top Bottom