• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

With Holder in the lead, sentencing reform gains momentum

My guess is this was low on Obama's to-do list, but since he cant do anything through Congress, he stepped this up a bit. I know the administration wanted to do drug law reform since day 1.

I think its good news. I just wish they would make a clear statement about what they will do in states that have legal marijuana.

Excellent. The mandatory sentencing laws have been a real problem. It's one of the big reasons why we have such a high prison population compared with other western countries.

Well it's obvious when you have a guy who had a small amount of marijuana serving more time than a guy who killed someone that something isn't right with that picture.

With Holder In The Lead, Sentencing Reform Gains Momentum : NPR

It looks like some big changes are on the way regarding sentencing guidelines for drug 'crimes.'

I'd do a cut-and-paste, but I'm on my iPad.

In my estimation, this legislation is long overdue for an overhaul.

I haven't see or heard any talkshow hosts today but I imagine this will get bi-partisan support. Over the weekend one of the nation's most respected medical authorities, if the the single most respected medical authorities, on a nationally televised broadcast came out in support for medical marijuana with scientific data to back it up. Nobody, republican or democrat wants to spend billions of dollars incarcerating people who aren't a danger to society. I don't smoke dope but being intellectually honest, its less harmful than tobacco and alcohol and they're legal.

I wonder if those already locked up for possession will start seeing their sentences commuted. We'd start saving money right away.

Back
Top Bottom