• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

With Eye on Terror and Russia, Germany Plans First Increase in Troops Since Cold War

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
With Eye on Terror and Russia, Germany Plans First Increase in Troops Since Cold War

Germany’s next budget will see the nation’s first increase in troop numbers since the Cold War, with the cabinet set to debate whether or not the country will take on a bigger military role in international affairs to “maintain global security.”

00024d90_medium.jpeg

German Defence Minister Ursula von der Leyen speaks with German soldiers

Re: With Eye on Terror and Russia, Germany Plans First Increase in Troops Since Cold

Simpleχity;1065931021 said:
With Eye on Terror and Russia, Germany Plans First Increase in Troops Since Cold WarGermany’s next budget will see the nation’s first increase in troop numbers since the Cold War, with the cabinet set to debate whether or not the country will take on a bigger military role in international affairs to “maintain global security.”
00024d90_medium.jpeg
I thought Germany was completely occupied and dominated by US and NATO troops. What are the Germans doing to get rid of the occupiers.

Re: With Eye on Terror and Russia, Germany Plans First Increase in Troops Since Cold

Germany’s next budget will see the nation’s first increase in troop numbers since the Cold War, with the cabinet set to debate whether or not the country will take on a bigger military role in international affairs to “maintain global security.”

00024d90_medium.jpeg

Nord Stream. Money > War. Germany is in Russia's pocket (along with most of Europe).

I thought Germany was completely occupied and dominated by US and NATO troops. What are the Germans doing to get rid of the occupiers.

Wow. Just.......wow.

Sorry bud. Werwolf never actually got off the ground and the Alpine Fortress was a no go.

Are you living in some kind of alternate universe from the rest of us?

Wow. Just.......wow.

Sorry bud. Werwolf never actually got off the ground and the Alpine Fortress was a no go.

Are you living in some kind of alternate universe from the rest of us?

Germany is fully occupied and is just a poodle of the US. Same as Britain. US and NATO troops that threaten Russia and nuclear weapons and missiles in Germany have made Germany a target for Russian retaliatory missiles. I imagine the Germans thank us eveyday for making them a target. Don't you think?

If the EU pissed off Russia in any meaningful way all they'd have to do is shut off the gas.......

...it would literally be that simple.

If the EU pissed off Russia in any meaningful way all they'd have to do is shut off the gas.......

What would they do for money after that?

To listen to the dimmer of them complain, you would wonder, indeed.

It is really quite interesting that the head of government that deliberately made the EU and especially Germany so dependent and prevented the alternatives is working for Putin and one of the companies that profits from the deals now and nobody is discussing his treacherous behavior and punishment.

00024d90_medium.jpeg

They have been free riding for decades and are now in such bad shape that for this country of 80 millions stationing 10.000 troops in overseas action is nearly unthinkable. Compare that to the UK or France or Sweden on a per capita basis and one can understand that those allies of theirs are seething.

Lol! You're always good for a laugh bro.

tinfoil_hat_antenna.jpg

Germany is fully occupied and is just a poodle of the US. Same as Britain. US and NATO troops that threaten Russia and nuclear weapons and missiles in Germany have made Germany a target for Russian retaliatory missiles. I imagine the Germans thank us eveyday for making them a target. Don't you think?

I, personally, think Germans(the West Germans, at least) are thankful that they were saved from being under Soviet control for fifty plus years.

Germany doesn't border Russia. NATO troops in Germany can be moved to counter a Russian attack on a NATO member faster then they could if they on the wrong side of the Atlantic, that's for sure.

00024d90_medium.jpeg

Three words... It's about time. Not that we shouldn't have stayed there after WWII to prevent Soviet absorption of the remaining parts of mainland Europe, but I am glad to see them stepping up financially.

US Foreign Policy has numerous tools (not just the military) that can influence geopolitical outcomes. One of which is the tremendous investment by the membership of the API (American Petroleum Institute) in the infrastructure, exploration, and production, as well as the US government in the R&D related LNG (Liquefied Natural Gas) and its export from the US to Europe. See below:

With U.S. Gas, Europe Seeks Escape From Russia’s Energy Grip | Wall Street Journal
BN-MT544_0224us_M_20160224145229.jpg

The arrival of the floating natural gas terminal Independence in October 2014 drew a crowd at the port city of Klaipeda, Lithuania. Photo: Kestutis Vanagas/Associated Press

U.S. To Undermine Russia’s Gas Monopoly In Europe | OilPrice.com

How U.S. LNG Exports Will Benefit European and Global Gas Supply | Atlantic Council

I, personally, think Germans(the West Germans, at least) are thankful that they were saved from being under Soviet control for fifty plus years.

Germany doesn't border Russia. NATO troops in Germany can be moved to counter a Russian attack on a NATO member faster then they could if they on the wrong side of the Atlantic, that's for sure.

I see, or I don't. You're saying it's a good thing the US has occupied Germany for fifty years. Agreed, we are the occupiers and that is what I stated.

US Foreign Policy has numerous tools (not just the military) that can influence geopolitical outcomes. One of which is the tremendous investment by the membership of the API (American Petroleum Institute) in the infrastructure, exploration, and production, as well as the US government in the R&D related LNG (Liquefied Natural Gas) and its export from the US to Europe. See below:

With U.S. Gas, Europe Seeks Escape From Russia’s Energy Grip | Wall Street Journal
BN-MT544_0224us_M_20160224145229.jpg

The arrival of the floating natural gas terminal Independence in October 2014 drew a crowd at the port city of Klaipeda, Lithuania. Photo: Kestutis Vanagas/Associated Press

U.S. To Undermine Russia’s Gas Monopoly In Europe | OilPrice.com

How U.S. LNG Exports Will Benefit European and Global Gas Supply | Atlantic Council

True, but I don't necessarily think that would be the best solution. There needs to be some form of equilibrium (in truth, it is about as far from iniquitous as it can get at the moment), or - like I said - Russia could hold EU's gas supply hostage (to a notable extent). War is definitely the costliest political move, and nobody wants another European conflict (let alone a Global one).

I see, or I don't. You're saying it's a good thing the US has occupied Germany for fifty years. Agreed, we are the occupiers and that is what I stated.

We aren't "occupiers". Following the fall of Herr Hitler's regime and the combination of the American, British, and French zones into West Germany, said West German state invited NATO to maintain its bases and presence on West German soil. The "occupation" ended with the establishment of West Germany.

Would you rather the Nazis be in charge? After all, if we hadn't occupied Germany thoughout 1944 and 1945 up until the establishment of West Germany.....

Dave... First, the Germans started two European wars and when they lost the second one, the US and other allies decided to stay so they didn't start a third one. Second, the Iron Curtain went up and the west created NATO. Third, the US rents our bases from Germany - we are not occupying anyone right now. At first, following WWII? Yes, we were an occupying force, just like we were in Japan, that ran the government and had final approval authority before anything could happen. That was a short lived timespan from VE Day 1945 through May of 1949 - almost exactly 4 years. After May, 1949, the Germans began limited self government, and in 1955 were granted even more power toward self government, but it wasn't until the Soviets and the East Germans brought the wall down along with the merger of East Germany with West Germany in 1990 that the German government became completely independent. Since 1990, 36 years ago, the German people have been completely independent from foreign influence and have had complete and sovereign government self-rule.

The US is not occupying Germany, militarily or otherwise.

Dave... First, the Germans started two European wars and when they lost the second one, the US and other allies decided to stay so they didn't start a third one. Second, the Iron Curtain went up and the west created NATO. Third, the US rents our bases from Germany - we are not occupying anyone right now. At first, following WWII? Yes, we were an occupying force, just like we were in Japan, that ran the government and had final approval authority before anything could happen. That was a short lived timespan from VE Day 1945 through May of 1949 - almost exactly 4 years. After May, 1949, the Germans began limited self government, and in 1955 were granted even more power toward self government, but it wasn't until the Soviets and the East Germans brought the wall down along with the merger of East Germany with West Germany in 1990 that the German government became completely independent. Since 1990, 36 years ago, the German people have been completely independent from foreign influence and have had complete and sovereign government self-rule.

The US is not occupying Germany, militarily or otherwise.

Let me see now. The Russians left Germany in 1990 and the Germans no longer needed an occupying force or NATO, but the occupying force and NATO didn't leave but the Russians did. This is when the US told Russia it would not expand toward Russia and immediately began expanding NATO toward Russia and now claims it is stationing missiles on Russian borders to prevent attacks against the EU by Iran. One of us must have been born at night.

Let me see now. The Russians left Germany in 1990 and the Germans no longer needed an occupying force or NATO, but the occupying force and NATO didn't leave but the Russians did. This is when the US told Russia it would not expand toward Russia and immediately began expanding NATO toward Russia and now claims it is stationing missiles on Russian borders to prevent attacks against the EU by Iran. One of us must have been born at night.

No. You don't see.

Russia had to leave. East Germany was folding and they couldn't afford to keep troops abroad on the same scale. The communists sure as hell wouldn't have left if there was any other way.

You seem to have missed the point, which was that the West German government invited NATO to remain on West German soil by joining NATO.

A wake-up call to Berlin.

The two proxy states that Moscow has carved out of eastern Ukraine (DNR 'People's Soviet' / LNR 'People's Soviet') possess more battle tanks than the Federal Republic of Germany.

Simpleχity;1065933827 said:
A wake-up call to Berlin.

The two proxy states that Moscow has carved out of eastern Ukraine (DNR 'People's Soviet' / LNR 'People's Soviet') possess more battle tanks than the Federal Republic of Germany.

Seriously? :shock:

Seriously? :shock:
Germany has ~410 main battle tanks. The DNR/LNR militants possess ~700+ tanks.

In the past week, Russia delivered 36 tanks, 6 armored vehicles, 11 artillery and MRLS pieces, 160 tons of ammunition, and 2400 tons of fuel to their proxy rebels in eastern Ukraine.

Back
Top Bottom