• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Wisconsin Supreme Court strips governor of power to replace appointments

multivita-man

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Wisconsin Attorney General Josh Kaul sued to remove Prehn from the NRB in August. The board’s former chair has refused to step down from the policy-making body after his six-year term expired in May last year. Former Republican Gov. Scott Walker appointed Prehn in 2015.

"(T)he expiration of Prehn's term on the DNR Board does not create a vacancy. Prehn lawfully retains his position on the DNR Board as a holdover," wrote Chief Justice Annette Ziegler for the majority. "Therefore, the Governor cannot make a provisional appointment to replace Prehn."

The court found a vacancy is only created when a person dies, resigns, or is removed for cause.

Yeah, I'm guessing they made that part up.

Prehn’s decision to stay on the board has blocked Democratic Gov. Tony Evers’ appointee Sandy Naas from taking a seat. Evers appointed Naas and Sharon Adams to the board in April of last year to fill vacancies left by members whose terms expired, including Prehn.

So basically the governor of Wisconsin will have pretty much power to do nothing but sit with a thumb up his ass. But then will get blamed for Wisconsin's problems, no doubt.

Evers is a lame duck for the most part.
Hell, he hasn't had any power since he became governor because the GOP has controlled Congress.
I think he loses to Tim Michels in November.

Vote them out.

Wisconsin has a stupid state law, Wisconsin SC uses that law in decision

Everyone gets made at SC?

Yeah, I'm guessing they made that part up.

So basically the governor of Wisconsin will have pretty much power to do nothing but sit with a thumb up his ass. But then will get blamed for Wisconsin's problems, no doubt.
All I can say is i'm thankful I live in ****ed up flori-duh because the road wisconsin seems to be taking scares the shit out of me. Make up the laws as you see fit if you control the legislature and judges. His term expired and yet he's still in office? Something doesn't smell right. Is this starting to become the norm for republicans?

Amazing how one election (2010) changed the entire course of that state

Hell, he hasn't had any power since he became governor because the GOP has controlled Congress.
He didn’t. Now that man will likely have to stay on the board for another four years minimum. In fact, all Republican appointees are sitting out. Term limits are for Democrats apparently.

Antidemocratic fascists are a cancer in this country. They should all be in jail for not leaving after their term expired.

Last edited:
You thought wrong.

The expiration of a term does not mean that the term has expired?

:unsure:

To be fair, I'd have to look into it in more detail. The devil is always in the details with law, and reporting rarely gets it entirely right.

Back
Top Bottom