• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Wisconsin sheriff on recent Baton Rouge shootings: I predicted this

Erod

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Wisconsin sheriff on Baton Rouge shootings: I predicted this - CNN.com

(CNN)In a heated interview with CNN's Don Lemon, Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke said he predicted the recent police shootings in Baton Rouge, Louisiana that killed three law enforcement officers and wounded three others.
"I've been watching this for two years. I've predicted this," Clarke said. "This anti-police rhetoric sweeping the country has turned out some hateful things inside of people that are now playing themselves out on the American police officer."

If you're not familiar with Sheriff Clarke, he's absolutely brilliant. He can school anyone in these discussions anytime.

I love no-nonsense people that don't sugarcoat or placate.

Wisconsin sheriff on Baton Rouge shootings: I predicted this - CNN.com

If you're not familiar with Sheriff Clarke, he's absolutely brilliant. He can school anyone in these discussions anytime.

I love no-nonsense people that don't sugarcoat or placate.

I think a lot of people could have predicted this. The abuse of power by the police, the increased reporting of their suspicious kills, the lack of oversight or punishment when abuses of power are made, all fed into this as well. The hateful rhetoric responded to the fact that government power was going unchecked, unwatched, unpunished when inappropriate, that fed into the system as well.

let's not forget that at the foundation, there is an actual problem. That problem does need to be addressed, and only by doing so will we actually begin to solve the problem. But it's easier to point fingers than it is to accept responsibility and try to actually make a change.

I thought CNN's Don Lemon was going to burst into tears.

So unfair, that nasty old sheriff telling so much TRUTH.......right on CNN.

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

I think a lot of people could have predicted this. The abuse of power by the police, the increased reporting of their suspicious kills, the lack of oversight or punishment when abuses of power are made, all fed into this as well. The hateful rhetoric responded to the fact that government power was going unchecked, unwatched, unpunished when inappropriate, that fed into the system as well.

let's not forget that at the foundation, there is an actual problem. That problem does need to be addressed, and only by doing so will we actually begin to solve the problem. But it's easier to point fingers than it is to accept responsibility and try to actually make a change.

There is an actual problem at the foundation, and 99.99 percent of it lies within the black community. Cops are rightly scared to death to go in there these days.

Good point.

There is an actual problem at the foundation, and 99.99 percent of it lies within the black community. Cops are rightly scared to death to go in there these days.

No, as usual, it lies with the government and its expansion of powers and removal of oversight.

Cops may be getting scared to "go in there", but they helped to bring about this situation. it will take cold, emotional-less logic to get us through to the other side.

But we prefer knee-jerk reactions and finger pointing...so pretty much nothing will be solved.

Not surprising. Don Lemon can't go beyond the talking points his channel feeds him. He's a hack.

No, as usual, it lies with the government and its expansion of powers and removal of oversight.

Cops may be getting scared to "go in there", but they helped to bring about this situation. it will take cold, emotional-less logic to get us through to the other side.

But we prefer knee-jerk reactions and finger pointing...so pretty much nothing will be solved.

The cops are just humans trying to deal with an impossible problem of lawless, hopeless, angry and desperate people who take out their rage and hate on the nearest authority figure......usually a cop.

You are correct that it's a government problem. The ghettos should never had been allowed to happen in the first place......but we have them and we're going to have to fix them.

God only knows how it can be done because it will take money.......and people don't want to pay more taxes.

Cold emotionless logic understands that a problem is often generated by more than 1 thing.
The drug war and other government legislation, plus inner community social issues have created this.

So, it's cops fault that blacks are killing each other by the dozens on a daily basis?

They have very "logical" reason to be on serious edge when they venture into those war zones.

So, it's cops fault that blacks are killing each other by the dozens on a daily basis?

They have very "logical" reason to be on serious edge when they venture into those war zones.

Nope, there are many facets that have led to the build up of this problem.

As I said, knee-jerk reactions and finger pointing. Those won't lead to a conclusion.

The cops are just humans trying to deal with an impossible problem of lawless, hopeless, angry and desperate people who take out their rage and hate on the nearest authority figure......usually a cop.

You are correct that it's a government problem. The ghettos should never had been allowed to happen in the first place......but we have them and we're going to have to fix them.God only knows how it can be done because it will take money.......and people don't want to pay more taxes.

Impossible. The only fix for these communities is fathers being actual fathers. And that can only be fixed by black people, not for them.

Nope, there are many facets that have led to the build up of this problem.

As I said, knee-jerk reactions and finger pointing. Those won't lead to a conclusion.

BLM, the Black Panthers, the Nation of Islam.....they aren't interested in your desired conclusion.

BLM, the Black Panthers, the Nation of Islam.....they aren't interested in your desired conclusion.

Neither are your emotional appeals. BLM is at best some loose confederation of social media warriors, there's nothing really cohesive amongst it. Black Panthers and Nation of Islam have existed for many decades before this one, and in times of better Police/Civilian relationships. So obviously, their existence doesn't rule out proper and mutually beneficiary working relationships between cops and communities.

Erod said:

A quick survey of black culture indicates that this is incorrect. Your claim isn't any more credible than his.

Let us use that cold emotional-less logic.

1. Black culture includes strong elements that celebrate violence against police, and features an honor-culture that requires violent response in a variety of situations in order to maintain "face/cred". Black Culture is predominantly made up of broken families, the sons of whom are far more likely to grow up with education, drug, crime, and violence related issues.

2. Cops are more likely to interact with blacks because blacks are more likely to both commit and be the victims of crimes, mostly for reasons outlined in point 1 above. Cops are also more likely to interact with blacks because that data point means that many are more attuned to be suspicious of blacks, and so they are more likely (in aggregate) to do things like pull them over for minor (or imagined, or nonexistent) traffic violations, and exhibit less risk tolerance for seeming threats.

3. Cops are not, however, more likely to shoot blacks than whites; they aren't out there wantonly murdering blacks, and when it can be established that one has, they go to the Justice system.

4. Blacks, often understandably upset and humiliated about being pulled over for minor, imagined, or nonexistent violations, project those feelings of humiliation onto stories of blacks being killed by cops, however, and assume that the reasons in those scenarios are just as trivial. So they are primed to believe narratives which confirm that bias, even when the particulars turn out to be falsehoods ("hands up don't shoot", for example).

5. Realizing this, media has begun to sensationalize each time a black person is killed by police, because you can get great ratings by confirming people's biases in ways that make them angry.

6. Prone (as are all humans) to the availability heuristic, those individuals in the process of consuming that media begin to over-estimate the occurrence of these incidents, and assume that they are systematic. This then becomes part of a larger critique, the purpose of which is to assign blame for the problems outlined in item 1 on a white-dominated system, enforced by the police.

7. Lacking (see point 1) a strong civil society that would enable them to adequately address many of their internal problems, being rightfully angry about one of the unfortunate police reactions to those problems (profiling), and wishing to believe the lies told by a media hungry for 24 hour viewers and clicks that this is all the fault of those whom they don't like anyway, many blacks naturally find themselves comforted by artificially fed hyperbolic outrage cycles built on falsehoods, but which confirms their suspicions (incidentally, this problem is not unique to blacks - see: The Donald Trump Campaign).

But we prefer knee-jerk reactions and finger pointing...

You mean like blaming cops?

If you're not familiar with Sheriff Clarke, he's absolutely brilliant. He can school anyone in these discussions anytime. I love no-nonsense people that don't sugarcoat or placate.

I can't find where he actually predicted anything. All we have is him CLAIMING to have predicted.... do you have a link to his 'brilliant' prediction back when he is supposed to have said it??? :peace

Right or wrong,, He sure schooled that "reporter" on the topic..

I can't find where he actually predicted anything. All we have is him CLAIMING to have predicted.... do you have a link to his 'brilliant' prediction back when he is supposed to have said it??? :peace

If he said he did, he did. He's not a liar like Don Lemon.

Lemon said he's a journalist and doesn't take sides.

I've seen journalists and he's no journalist.......and he constantly takes sides with Hillary and Obama and gun control and against cops.......constantly, especially against cops.

Back
Top Bottom