• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Wisconsin GOP Will Run Fake Democrats to Buy Time

I'm confused...why would the senate leader openly say "hey, we're gonna screw with everybody"?

It's counter-intuitive, isn' it?

It doesn't make any sense, that's for sure. I don't put shady tactics above any politician, but it is absolutely illogical to explain your shady behavior right before you're going into a primary election/general election. Something ain't right.

It doesn't make any sense, that's for sure. I don't put shady tactics above any politician, but it is absolutely illogical to explain your shady behavior right before you're going into a primary election/general election. Something ain't right.

The Wisconsin paper uses two sources, the senate president and another senate Republican.
Sen. Alberta Darling (R-River Hills) said she learned of the primary plan last week and was told Monday it would be implemented in all six Senate districts. She declined to say what she thought of it.

"I'm staying out of that," she said. "I'm not getting involved in the diversions of the recalls."

From the link in the article the OP links to...
Republicans are being recruited to run as Democrats in all six races so the general elections would be pushed back a month. That will give Republicans a crucial extra month to campaign, said Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald (R-Juneau).

Fitzgerald said all six Republicans facing recalls knew about the plan. That differs from statements by Republican Sens. Randy Hopper of Fond du Lac and Luther Olsen of Ripon that they were not informed of it. Jennifer Harrington, the campaign manager for Sen. Dan Kapanke (R-La Crosse), has said she did not know of the plan.

"All of them were aware that this was taking place," Fitzgerald said. "Some were questioning the angles on it."

He said it was discussed at the state Republican convention in Wisconsin Dells in May.

After Fitzgerald made his comments, Olsen continued to insist he had no knowledge of the plan. Asked if he was sure he didn't know about it, he said: "Unless I wasn't paying attention, but I'm sure I was paying attention."

Hopper couldn't be reached Tuesday, but on Sunday he said he knew nothing about it. "My campaign and myself don't know anything about this," he said then.

Mixed signals it seems. If this is true, it's stupid and unethical... just like it was when the Democrats tried it...

» The Left’s Hypocrisy On ‘Fake Candidates’ In Wisconsin - Big Government
Last summer, a candidate named Andrew Wisniewski ran as a Republican in Assembly District 25 against conservative Independent Bob Ziegelbaur. Ziegelbaur, a Democrat assemblyman since 1992, defected from the party in the summer of 2010 because he felt “they became more enthusiastic about big government and big tax increases and farther away from pro-life issues.”

But instead of running an honest campaign against Ziegelbauer, AFSCME union organizer Jason Sidener recruited Andrew Wisniewski to run as a Republican in an attempt to siphon votes away from Ziegelbauer in the conservative district. Wisniewski initially did not receive enough valid signatures to get on the ballot, but a GAB error revealed he had enough signatures to be placed on the ballot despite objections by the Republican Party.

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel’s “expose” on the Republican “plot” makes no mention of last summer’s candidacy of Andrew Wisniewski. The truth of the matter is both parties have attempted to run fake candidates in “trojan horse” plots to disrupt their opposition.

Once again, the “righteous indignation” of the Left rings a bit hollow.

I'm confused...why would the senate leader openly say "hey, we're gonna screw with everybody"?

It's known as hubris. It's the same thing that ensured that there would be a record 6 Republicans facing recalls. It's relatively rare to even have 1 recall because of the monumental effort it takes.

New York Times: Democrats Backing Fake Tea Party Candidates
It's wrong no matter what side it comes from. They succeeded here and Ryan's plan got blamed for the loss in the media. If Davis hadn't been in the race, the republican would have won.
Fake tea party candidate seeks to split republican vote in NY | Can I Just Finish My Waffle?

It's kind of hard to tell who is a "Tea party" candidate and who isn't since all the Tea Party candidates and representatives run around claiming that the others just aren't "right-wing" enough.

It's kind of hard to tell who is a "Tea party" candidate and who isn't since all the Tea Party candidates and representatives run around claiming that the others just aren't "right-wing" enough.

How do you define who is a "true" Tea Party candidate anyway? I thought this was a grass roots movement defined from the bottom up. Can't basically anyone define themselves as "Tea Party?"

And how does one become a Tea Party candidate as it is? Is there a nominating process?

Referencing a "fake" Tea Partier in the Congressional race in question just reminds me of the liberals who blamed Ralph Nader for Al Gore losing. OK, the Conservative vote was split. But nothing I've read indicates Jack Davis is a fraud, just that he has disagreements with the Republican party. Calling him a "fake" seems like the GOP trying to make sure that they corner the Tea Party vote.

Interesting article about him here: NY 26: Jack Davis and the Tea Party vs. Jane Corwin and the Republican Party. - By David Weigel - Slate Magazine
When you spend a little time in the district, the Republican ads claiming Davis is a Democrat look silly. Yes, the Tea Party Express, which was co-founded by Republican strategists, came to the district this week to denounce Davis and endorse Corwin. Two members of Congress who were boosted by the Tea Party, Allen West and Marco Rubio, have cut calls for Corwin. But Davis, in his way, is the embodiment of the Tea Party, a one-man spokesperson for its fear of American decline. He's a pure nationalist who thinks that America got off track at some point, and that the boom days of the 1950s can return if taxes are low and trade deals get shredded. He reads Lou Dobbs and Paul Craig Roberts. He hates politicians. It takes some effort, when asked about his opponents, to judge them as "adequate," because, like everyone in the Tea Party, he thinks if you've been in politics you've contracted the virus that's come close to ruining this country.

rocket... do you plan on showing the same level of disdain for the Wisconcin Democrats that tried to do the same thing (see previous post)?

rocket... do you plan on showing the same level of disdain for the Wisconcin Democrats that tried to do the same thing (see previous post)?

Well what I said was that I have disdain for electoral politics in which people are more concerned with their party winning. If I could go back in time and show "the same level of disdain" last summer, I would. But that's past.

I also questioned the assertion that Jack Davis was a "fake" Tea Party candidate. If you ask me, the Republicans have completely hijacked the Tea Party movement.

Well what I said was that I have disdain for electoral politics in which people are more concerned with their party winning. If I could go back in time and show "the same level of disdain" last summer, I would. But that's past.

I also questioned the assertion that Jack Davis was a "fake" Tea Party candidate. If you ask me, the Republicans have completely hijacked the Tea Party movement.

I don't really follow the Tea Party stuff myself, so I have no idea about that. Pleased to hear that your disdain on the fake candidates goes both ways though.

I want to see documented proof because as has been shown in the past this is Democrat tactic, and it would be no surprise to find it's just another false flag operation, accuse the opposition of what ever you are doing and the rest of the party swear to it.

The republicans claim, and I would tend to believe them, that they are just doing it in order to delay the vote.

By causing a primary, they are buying themselves some time to campaign, since they are currently stuck at the capitol and can't campaign in their districts.

Wisconsin Republican Party 6th Congressional District Chairman Dan Feyen sent letters to Republicans in the Oshkosh region urging them to support Republican "protest candidate" John Buckstaff, who intends to run as a Democrat so Hopper, R-Fond du Lac, can finish the legislative session in Madison and have time to campaign

Last edited:
The republicans claim, and I would tend to believe them, that they are just doing it in order to delay the vote.

By causing a primary, they are buying themselves some time to campaign, since they are currently stuck at the capitol and can't campaign in their districts.

Seems counterproductive to do something like this if you're trying to win reelection. People are going to take it as a slap in the face that you "attacked unions" and then spent state money on a farce just so you can go shake a few hands and kiss a few babies.

Seems counterproductive to do something like this if you're trying to win reelection. People are going to take it as a slap in the face that you "attacked unions" and then spent state money on a farce just so you can go shake a few hands and kiss a few babies.

I personally see no issue with it, but it could potentially cause a backlash. It would seem rather unfair to have an election in which one side can't campaign at all because they're stuck back at the capitol doing the state's business.

From what I understand, the cost will be $500k. I guess it's up to the individual to determine if that's a lot or not.

Last edited:

There is quite a bit of mixed up assumptions within this statement. Davis ran as a Democrat on 2 separate occasions for the exact same seat. He was actively recruited by Democrats to run as a "tea party" candidate.

Most of the ideas and concepts within the tea party are libertarian and conservative in nature, their ideology doesnt match well with current Democrat thinking.

Lastly, the GOP has not hijacked the Tea Party, the Tea Party is in the process of hijacking the GOP. The GOP establishment is just as threatened by various endorsed Tea Party candidates as the Democrats are. The Tea Party is holding the GOP accountable more than any other group through serious primary competition.

As to the rest, its not illegal but its damn sure unethical.

There is quite a bit of mixed up assumptions within this statement. Davis ran as a Democrat on 2 separate occasions for the exact same seat. He was actively recruited by Democrats to run as a "tea party" candidate.

Most of the ideas and concepts within the tea party are libertarian and conservative in nature, their ideology doesnt match well with current Democrat thinking.

Davis wasn't allowed to run as a Republican because the incumbent was a Republican. He was also pro-choice and against the war in Iraq, neither position endeared him to the Republicans of the time. Other than those positions, he was not a Democrat. The Democrats let him run on their ticket because he was willing to do so on his own dime, and nobody that actually was a Democrat was excited about being the sacrifice in a gerrymandered district that stretched halfway across New York State. The Tea Party also did not exist then for him to run on their ticket.

Davis wasn't allowed to run as a Republican because the incumbent was a Republican. He was also pro-choice and against the war in Iraq, neither position endeared him to the Republicans of the time. Other than those positions, he was not a Democrat. The Democrats let him run on their ticket because he was willing to do so on his own dime, and nobody that actually was a Democrat was excited about being the sacrifice in a gerrymandered district that stretched halfway across New York State. The Tea Party also did not exist then for him to run on their ticket.

Hes a one issue candidate--free trade. GOP doesnt like him, Tea Party doesnt like him, he should run as an independent and quit trying to claim hes something hes not.

Jack Davis, Self-Proclaimed Tea Party Candidate, Backed Obama in 2008 - By Jim Geraghty - The Campaign Spot - National Review Online
Republican, tea party movement figures attack Davis - Politics - The Buffalo News
Tea Party Express Calls Jack Davis a Fraud : Roll Call Politics

He gave Hochul the race more or less. Oh, yeah he took campaign contributions from Obama and Rangel. Still think hes got any serious links to the GOP? Geesh.

Back
Top Bottom