• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Wisconsin forces women to get ultrasound!!!!!

Etoner

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Wis. gov signs abortion bill requiring ultrasound

POS Governor Walker just signed a bill requiring all women who want an abortion to be FORCED to get an ultrasound first!!!

What right does the government have forcing American citizens to undergo an unwanted medical procedure??????????????

These are the same people bitching about being forced to buy health insurance, now they turn around and pull this crap? Forcing citizens to undergo an unwanted and unnecessary medical procedure?

What's next, forcing Americans to buy guns? Forcing Americans to brush their teeth twice a day?

POS Governor Walker just signed a bill requiring all women who want an abortion to be FORCED to get an ultrasound first!!!

What right does the government have forcing American citizens to undergo an unwanted medical procedure??????????????

These are the same people bitching about being forced to buy health insurance, now they turn around and pull this crap? Forcing citizens to undergo an unwanted and unnecessary medical procedure?

What's next, forcing Americans to buy guns? Forcing Americans to brush their teeth twice a day?

Gov. Scott Walker quietly signed a contentious Republican bill Friday that would require women seeking abortions to undergo an ultrasound and ban doctors who lack admitting privileges at nearby hospitals from performing the procedures.

Read more: Wisconsin governor signs abortion bill requiring ultrasound | Fox News

I'm not sure how I feel about the ultrasound. I'd want to hear some reasoning behind it. On its face? I don't support it.

The second part of the bill, however, where doctors without admission privileges at nearby hospitals can't perform abortions? I support that 100%.

Will the government pay for this ultrasound?

Oh, and the ultrasound technician will be required by law to point out the ZEF's organs and external features.

I guess they will throw his ass in prison if he refuses to comply with this authoritarian demand by the state.

An ultrasound is to a pregnant woman as x-rays are to a dental patient.

I fail to see what you're so upset over. . . and your over the top melodramatics makes the whole thing seem just a bit ridiculous, honestly.

An ultrasound is to a pregnant woman as x-rays are to a dental patient.

I fail to see what you're so upset over. . . and your over the top melodramatics makes the whole thing seem just a bit ridiculous, honestly.

An x-ray is required to perform a thorough dentistry exam to locate cavities, impacted wisdom teeth, and other problems.

The purpose of this ultra-sound is not for medical reasons. Its is simply to attempt to make the mother bond with the ZEF.

The government requiring a medical procedure on a citizen for non-medical purposes, is tyranny!!!!!

What will they do if the technician refuses to identify the organs and extremities? Lock him up for 6 months?

This law is disgusting and shows how far Conservatives will go to force government tyranny for their social aims.

Complete and utter crap. here's a quote from the article:

"Supporters (of the law) argue ultrasounds will help the woman bond with the fetus and convince her to save it. The admitting privileges requirement ensures a woman who suffers an abortion-related complication has an advocate who can explain what happened when she reaches a hospital, they say."

The first part of the argument is a blatant appeal to emotion. Forcing a woman to go through a procedure at her own expense so she can be bullied into keeping the child despite the already highly emotional process of making the original decision is utter B/S.

The second part is simply to force the closure of clinics which protect the woman's privacy and give her more options. It forces doctors to pay for this "privilege" and implies they somehow need to be able to admit a patient into a "nearby" hospital before being qualified to treat her.

"Supporters (of the law) argue ultrasounds will help the woman bond with the fetus and convince her to save it. The admitting privileges requirement ensures a woman who suffers an abortion-related complication has an advocate who can explain what happened when she reaches a hospital, they say."

The first part of the argument is a blatant appeal to emotion. Forcing a woman to go through a procedure at her own expense so she can be bullied into keeping the child despite the already highly emotional process of making the original decision is utter B/S.

The second part is simply to force the closure of clinics which protect the woman's privacy and give her more options. It forces doctors to pay for this "privilege" and implies they somehow need to be able to admit a patient into a particular hospital before being qualified to treat her.

I wonder how the Supreme Court will rule on the State requiring a medical procedure for totally non-medical purposes.

I wonder how the Supreme Court will rule on the State requiring ultra-sound technicians to tell the mother where the organs and extremities are, under pain of prison.

This is why some protesters had a sign saying "If I wanted the government in my womb I would have asked a senator to f*** me." The only point to these laws is to punish or discourage women from getting abortions, there are no medical reasons for these laws. Remember, many, perhaps most, anti-abortion advocates want to also ban birth control. They are most concerned about regulating women's sex lives. If you look at their positions on other issues it becomes clear that they don't actually care about the welfare of babies once they are born.

The second part is simply to force the closure of clinics which protect the woman's privacy and give her more options. It forces doctors to pay for this "privilege" and implies they somehow need to be able to admit a patient into a particular hospital before being qualified to treat her.

I won't argue with the first part of your post, but I will with the second. If a doctor is going to perform an abortion -- which isn't like a tooth extraction -- things can go wrong. With general anesthetic things can go wrong. With abortions, hemorrhaging can occur. If a doctor doesn't have admitting privileges, he may be reluctant to get her to the hospital. This is just common sense to me.

This is why some protesters had a sign saying "If I wanted the government in my womb I would have asked a senator to f*** me." The only point to these laws is to punish or discourage women from getting abortions, there are no medical reasons for these laws. Remember, many, perhaps most, anti-abortion advocates want to also ban birth control. They are most concerned about regulating women's sex lives. If you look atheir positions on other issues it becomes clear that tehy don't actually care about teh welfare of babies once they are born.

These are the same people who want to cut Medicaid and foodstamps for the children of unwed mothers and women who chose not to abort.

Please, it is a little bit of jelly and rubbing a device over their abdomen. It isn't like it is more invasive than what they they are already consenting to. As far as to requiring the provider have hospital privileges, in case you have not noticed, there is a backlash to office surgeries not just when it comes to abortion.

Please, it is a little bit of jelly and rubbing a device over their abdomen. It isn't like it is more invasive than what they they are already consenting to. As far as to requiring the provider have hospital privileges, in case you have not noticed, there is a backlash to office surgeries not just when it comes to abortion.

This is government tyranny, pure and simple.

The government has no business requiring medical procedures for non-medical purposes!!!

People who respect and embrace liberty understand this.

State, Appeals, and the Supreme Court are going to eat this law alive!!! Even Conservative Judges will see the absurdity of such a requirement.

This is the religious right trying to get the government off of Wall Street's back and into every American's bedroom.

The government can't require you to buy health insurance, but they can require you to get an ultra sound on your dime to try to convince you to not get an abortion?

unbelievable!!!!!!

Why are you lying to the people of this board?

Just as before such a law was drafted, exactly zero women will be forced to have an ultrasound.

Why are you lying to the people of this board?

Just as before such a law was drafted, exactly zero women will be forced to have an ultrasound.

The only one lying here is you.

This law requires all women who want an abortion to get an ultrasound first.

Ultrasound technician must identify the organs and extremities for the mother.

The ultrasound will be paid for by the mother or her insurance.

The only one lying here is you.

You shouldn't call other people liars without cause.

This law requires all women who want an abortion to get an ultrasound first.

Yes, it does that. Which is why your thread title is completely false, exactly as I said. Exactly zero "women will be forced to get an ultrasound."

All morality and arguments aside, abortion is elective, is it not?

This is the religious right trying to get the government off of Wall Street's back and into every American's bedroom.

And they are winning. See what happens when you are not willing to compromise at all?

This is government tyranny, pure and simple.

The government has no business requiring medical procedures for non-medical purposes!!!

People who respect and embrace liberty understand this.

State, Appeals, and the Supreme Court are going to eat this law alive!!! Even Conservative Judges will see the absurdity of such a requirement.

The government has no business requiring me to have insurance either since they are not the ones who would pick up the bill if I did not. It is funny to me when autocrats pull out the "it is nobody's business" line when that is all they do--stick their nose in other people's business, trying to control their lives, and force them to do things. Karma is a female dog.

And they are winning. See what happens when you are not willing to compromise at all?

Who is living in the White House right now?

Where will the GOP be in 30-years?

Who is living in the White House right now?

Where will the GOP be in 30-years?

Controlling the house and most of the states like they do now I suppose, not that I wouldn't plow both parties under and salt the ground above them :2wave:

you get an x-ray before they pull a wisdom tooth so what is the problem with them doing an ultra sound before they suck a baby out of you

i has forced by the dentist to have that x-ray done before my wisdom teeth being pulled i was trying to save money and said it wasn't necessary he said no x-ray no tooth pulled

I won't argue with the first part of your post...

Thanks. :)

but I will with the second. If a doctor is going to perform an abortion -- which isn't like a tooth extraction -- things can go wrong. With general anesthetic things can go wrong. With abortions, hemorrhaging can occur. If a doctor doesn't have admitting privileges, he may be reluctant to get her to the hospital. This is just common sense to me.

The stated reason is so "a woman who suffers an abortion-related complication has an advocate who can explain what happened..." Are you assuming a doctor at a licensed abortion clinic would not accompany his patient to the nearest hospital to explain what happened to his counter-part in the emergency room? That's a stretch...unless there is statistical or even empirical evidence????

Controlling the house and most of the states like they do now I suppose, not that I wouldn't plow both parties under and salt the ground above them :2wave:

Thirty years from now massive demographic change will have reduced the GOP to a minor, regional party with no national power.

Referring only to the ultrasound part, I don't know that I really have a problem with it. No one is forcing the woman to get an ultrasound, but if she wants to have the abortion, it's a step she has to take. I mean, when I wanted to be a teacher, I HAD to go to college to get my degree. No one made me have to go into teaching, but if it is what I want to do, then it was the step I have to take.

As an avid pro-choice supporter, I have no problem with forcing the ultrasound first.

Back
Top Bottom