• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Wisconsin Farm wife does not know what she is talking about at RNC convention

independentusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I just sat and listened to a woman who says she and her husband own a 1000 head dairy farm in Wisconsin and how wonderful things have been under Trump. She admits she was a city girl before she married and I hope that is why she is so uninformed about farming in the state of Wisconsin. In 2019 over 800 farms went under in Wisconsin. Another 300 went out of business in just the first three months of 2020, the latest we have stats for farm closings. When I drive through the state I am amazed at all of the empty barns where milk cows used to stand. It seem the only farms left are the corporate owned farms that milk thousands of cows and pollute the air and the ground water. Many family farms are barely hanging on and recent increases in milk prices may help. The idea though that farming has prospered under Trump, not only in this state, but in others is a laugh. Many farms have been hurt by the stupid tariff war Trump started with every country in the world and which continues to hurt farmers even now. It seems that everything that Trump touches turned to sh*t>

I just sat and listened to a woman who says she and her husband own a 1000 head dairy farm in Wisconsin and how wonderful things have been under Trump. She admits she was a city girl before she married and I hope that is why she is so uninformed about farming in the state of Wisconsin. In 2019 over 800 farms went under in Wisconsin. Another 300 went out of business in just the first three months of 2020, the latest we have stats for farm closings. When I drive through the state I am amazed at all of the empty barns where milk cows used to stand. It seem the only farms left are the corporate owned farms that milk thousands of cows and pollute the air and the ground water. Many family farms are barely hanging on and recent increases in milk prices may help. The idea though that farming has prospered under Trump, not only in this state, but in others is a laugh. Many farms have been hurt by the stupid tariff war Trump started with every country in the world and which continues to hurt farmers even now. It seems that everything that Trump touches turned to sh*t>

Are you a farmer in Wisconsin?

Yes a lot of soybean farmers went out of business :doh

Are you claiming that you have a more informed opinion about dairy farms than a dairy farmer has?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You don't have to be a farmer in Wisconsin to know that farmers are hurting. :roll:

Dumb hick shouldn't speak. Telling folks how to think is better left to the highly educated.

You don't have to be a farmer in Wisconsin to know that farmers are hurting. :roll:

But, her husband is a farmer and you know more than she does. :lamo

My father owned a farm in Wisconsin after retiring from the military. I no longer farm, but I do know about dairy farming in Wisconsin as my grandfather and my uncle farmed. So I am not a farmer, but I do know about farming.

I wouldn't be surprised if I did. :mrgreen:

Are you claiming that you have a more informed opinion about dairy farms than a dairy farmer has?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Want to bet with me that there farm is a corporate farm and that they got money from Trump. Most of the money that trump gave to the farmers after they were hurt by his tariffs went to corporate farms rather than family owned farms.

What I know is that almost all of the money given out by Trump because of his tariffs went to corporate farms and very little trickled down to smaller family owned farms, which is why so many farms in Wisconsin have failed. If her husband is milking a thousand head, that is not a typical sized "family Farm" and i suspect and would bet it is incorporated. I would also bet they got money from Trump.

A lot of dairy farmers have gone under, a lot of them. Most left are the huge corporation farms.

The world has over produced milk and the decline in dairy farms both nationally and in Wisconsin has been going on for 5 or 6 years. Perhaps you never noticed. Prices surged, people expanded their operations, prices began to decline as production overtook demand. Very few dairy farmers in my area rely on just milk sales. Some have day jobs/night jobs/weekend jobs. Others have diversified operations. Cows pay for the farms, but do not feed the families.

The world has over produced milk and the decline in dairy farms both nationally and in Wisconsin has been going on for 5 or 6 years. Perhaps you never noticed. Prices surged, people expanded their operations, prices began to decline as production overtook demand. Very few dairy farmers in my area rely on just milk sales. Some have day jobs/night jobs/weekend jobs. Others have diversified operations. Cows pay for the farms, but do not feed the families.

THis has been the cycle for dairy farming for over forty years. Milk prices go down because of overproduction and farmers sell part of their herds for meat. After a while as herds are thinned milk production goes down and prices rise so farmers increase their herds to take advantage of the higher prices and as production goes up, prices again go down and the whole cycle starts again.

Wisconsin farmers are divided by it's clear that Trump has lost support among them. This farmer gets it. He clearly understands what's wrong with Trump's trade negotiating strategy.

"One of the things about trade or even just doing business with people: you usually do it with people you like," Breunig said. "When we do these hard-line negative negotiations, it's just hard to go back and say, 'Yeah, we’re going to do business with you because we like to do business with you.' Those relationships are built over time and if you wreck them, it's not like they're going to be better tomorrow again."

Wisconsin farmers divided on whether Trump has helped ag

Trump could have negotiated deals without creating all this hostility with our allies and trading partners. Even Canadians are starting to talk about buy Canadian as they sour to American goods. Trump is doing damage that may not easily be undone. Trade wars are not easy to win. I'm sure Hitler thought WWII would be easy to win.

THis has been the cycle for dairy farming for over forty years. Milk prices go down because of overproduction and farmers sell part of their herds for meat. After a while as herds are thinned milk production goes down and prices rise so farmers increase their herds to take advantage of the higher prices and as production goes up, prices again go down and the whole cycle starts again.

Then what is the big issue if it has been going on 40 years? You start off blaming Trump and now you are saying it is just part of the business for decades before him. The landscape for agriculture/farming is changing by leaps and bounds. Old model farming just isn't going to be profitable any more.

Back
Top Bottom