• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Wisconsin dairy farmers barely hanging on as crisis deepens

Here’s the sad part. It’s been kept at an artificially high price for so long and now that the bubble has popped, all the democrats are blaming “ trump “

People do not drink as much milk and California became the #1 dairy state. Those little 500 to 600 acre Wisconsin dairy farms became economically non-viable a few decades ago and only can continue by increasingly being propped up by the government - just like mom-and-pop stores lost out to the big companies.

People stopped drinking milk did they?

i do agree, I do not appreciate paying for anyone to stay in business who cannot turn a profit themselves.

You are describing a business utopia, not a business reality, particularly for any perishable goods, short shelf life product category. That said, I have no problem with business bigness for its own accord. I have a problem with the lack of business breadth up and down the spectrum. You end up with self fulfilling prophecies that are not all that consumer friendly, like it or not when you don't have a healthy spectrum of business participants. Expecting the farm community which has always relied upon government assistance to help guide it to markets that match its scale is laughably naive. Just "farming", just the tilling of the soil is brutally difficult work requiring a full commitment from a family farmer just to get it done at all.

It is a commitment to a career that is actually a life commitment. We had that sort of commitment in my business...but we were trying to change the world and we knew it and in fact we did it. Other than people making life commitments or changing the world, you will not likely find anything like that sort of career commitment.

Being a farmer is your choice you make. Being successful in that field is not a guarantee. We don't use government to make your business or any others successful (or at least we shouldn't). Government is there to protect your right to fairly engage in your craft and have free access to markets. Your rate of success or the amount of returns you make is all up to you to find out how to manage on your own. How much business is generated up and down any spectrum is completely dependent on the individual and not apart of the scope of government.

Being a farmer is your choice you make. Being successful in that field is not a guarantee. We don't use government to make your business or any others successful (or at least we shouldn't). Government is there to protect your right to fairly engage in your craft and have free access to markets. Your rate of success or the amount of returns you make is all up to you to find out how to manage on your own. How much business is generated up and down any spectrum is completely dependent on the individual and not apart of the scope of government.

Naive frankly. Nobody gets more government assistance "subsidy" than the big industrial farms, the exact business entities you appear to exalt.

With all due respect you cannot overlay simplistic theoretical business notions onto the broad sweep of businesses by type and come up with more than gibberish. Farming and food production generally, most particularly diary is short shelf life, perishable product business and much of what happens in that business flows out of that business reality for those business participants. That is a long way from building cars just as an example.

You might spend some time looking at the specific issues that drive the American food production, diary farming and crop farming businesses and then see where that takes you.

Last edited:
Naive frankly. Nobody gets more government assistance "subsidy" than the big industrial farms, the exact business entities you appear to exalt.

With all due respect you cannot overlay simplistic theoretical business notions onto the broad sweep of businesses by type and come up with more than gibberish. Farming and food production generally, most particularly diary is short shelf life, perishable product business and much of what happens in that business flows out of that business reality for those business participants. That is a long way from building cars just as an example.

You might spend some time looking at the specific issues that drive the American food production, diary farming and crop farming businesses and then see where that takes you.

I don't care if something has a long shelf life or a short shelf life, it makes no difference to how the government should treat businesses, shelf life is a market issue not a government one.
I oppose all subsidies for farmers of any product at any scale. No business deserves to receive tax payers money.

I don't care if something has a long shelf life or a short shelf life, it makes no difference to how the government should treat businesses, shelf life is a market issue not a government one.
I oppose all subsidies for farmers of any product at any scale. No business deserves to receive tax payers money.

I disagree. I think farming is an industry that needs subsidizing. An industry so dependent on the weather almost has to be subsidized. Farmers can go decades without a problem then get hit with a several years of drought followed by several years of flooding. Then they can go decades again with favorable weather. What I don't agree with is depleting the ground water raising crops that require lots of water in a desert or naturally dry region. I don't like the fact they are doing so much damage to the environment. I think we need to use common sense and grow crops that require less water in these areas. The west may talk conservation all the time but they are the biggest destroyers of recourses. The more they flap their gums the bigger the carbon footprint of the individual.

You just made my point...

I disagree. I think farming is an industry that needs subsidizing. An industry so dependent on the weather almost has to be subsidized. Farmers can go decades without a problem then get hit with a several years of drought followed by several years of flooding. Then they can go decades again with favorable weather. What I don't agree with is depleting the ground water raising crops that require lots of water in a desert or naturally dry region. I don't like the fact they are doing so much damage to the environment. I think we need to use common sense and grow crops that require less water in these areas. The west may talk conservation all the time but they are the biggest destroyers of recourses. The more they flap their gums the bigger the carbon footprint of the individual.
I don't think the government should be in the business of picking winners and losers in businesses. If and industry is declining or prices of the commodity change, I think its all ok you get what you get, you bargain for what you bargain for. You lose you butt in your investment of your business, so what happens all the time. Why does that need anything from me?

What, you mean 4% of the Canadian milk market (servicing a population 10% your size) ISN'T going to save American dairy producers? Well I, for one, am shocked - it's not like Canada was screaming that from the ****ing mountaintops. Oh wait, we were.

Combine that with the fact that today's GM North American plant closure information shows more jobs lost in America than in Canada, and I'm guessing that if you don't have people wishing ol' Dump would have left NAFTA alone now, you will soon enough.

Access to the market doesn't mean sales. I don't know anyone here that doesnt check labels and pass on American-produced dairy products. It'll be even better when Canadian dairy products are prominently labeled. Screw 'em.

Access to the market doesn't mean sales. I don't know anyone here that doesnt check labels and pass on American-produced dairy products. It'll be even better when Canadian dairy products are prominently labeled. Screw 'em.

lol...ran out of time writing that post, that was the part I left out. It's crazy how many people actually pay attention to this - like everyone knows in this area that the only 10% cream that has the blue cow label is Natrel. Stores haven't been taking the other stuff out yet, but if you compare the expiry dates, you know what's moving and what isn't. I always get a chuckle at how we "strike back"...haha... Sometimes we Canadians are so Canadian... :lol: :)

Back
Top Bottom