• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Wisconsin dairy farmers barely hanging on as crisis deepens

Must be all the illegal immigrants working at slave wages, as to why they can undercut honest farmers.

That's a fact. The exploitation of the immigrant continues sadly. My ancestors fought long and hard to end it in the NE only to watch it move to the SW. I guess we will never be able to afford cotton clothes without slave labor and we will never be able to afford fresh fruits and vegetables without exploiting immigrants. So say the democrats in the past and again now.

Fewer cows is exactly what we need, we have long produced more milk than we can use. This is an example of America not working, of the supply/demand theory not working or not being allowed to work.

It doesn't hep that so many people have come to believe milk and milk products are bad for you. Thatnk's to our government.

This is true. Plus most cultures do not consume milk at the levels of the white Europeans. Most other cultures use it primarily for cooking or young children. There isn't that world wide market.

I only drink milk from a certain local farm where the cows actual are out in the meadow consuming natural grasses. I can't drink the mass produced milk anymore. Yes it is a little more money but not that much and well worth the better quality of product. Plus it comes in a reusable glass bottle just like when I was kid. The best form of recycling. Now if they would deliver to the porch. I am dreaming.

I also no longer eat mass produced eggs. There is a difference. I pay only $3.75 for 18 brown large eggs and I can see the chickens out and about from the local farmer. The yoke is orange instead of yellow and they are fresh usually laid that day. I am slowly getting away from all these mass produced foods and eating more local from small farms where I know how they are raised and what they are fed.

I pay $4.99 for a 1/2 gallon glass bottle of whole milk that is not homogenized, from Jersey cows, and there is a $2 deposit on the bottle. Stuff is so good compared to store bought milk. I get is at a local growers outlet. I pay around your $3.75 for a dozen eggs, free range, no hormone, etc. The last pack of 18 I bough was nearly $5.

It's good to be able to buy the food I like, because the cheaper stuff is so mediocre once you had the good stuff. I buy almost exclusively the Tillamook cheeses. They use smaller farm dairy co-ops to get their milk from, and use local cows rather than milkfat from gigantic California operations. Their cheeses have a higher fat content and most others, and are delicious.

It's also great buying fruits and vegetables from the growers outlet. The taste is so much better.

It doesn't hep that so many people have come to believe milk and milk products are bad for you. Thatnk's to our government.

Did you know that for 30 years this government told us that we should take as much fat out of dairy as we can, but recently science has gotten on the case and decided that this is for sure a bad idea?

This is the crap quality of the work that we have had to put up with.

That's a fact. The exploitation of the immigrant continues sadly. My ancestors fought long and hard to end it in the NE only to watch it move to the SW. I guess we will never be able to afford cotton clothes without slave labor and we will never be able to afford fresh fruits and vegetables without exploiting immigrants. So say the democrats in the past and again now.

When the democrats lost the black slaves, they went to the brown ones. Only they have to pay them a little bit...

Did you know that for 30 years this government told us that we should take as much fat out of dairy as we can, but recently science has gotten on the case and decided that this is for sure a bad idea?

This is the crap quality of the work that we have had to put up with.

Same thing with salt. It is now not as bad as once thought.

The sad thing is people raise their kids on low fat and low calorie diets, and then as adults, their bodies never learned to properly process these, and is a factor in obesity.

Kids need calories and fat!

The sad thing is people raise their kids on low fat and low calorie diets, and then as adults, their bodies never learned to properly process these, and is a factor in obesity.

More people die from too little salt than too much,,,,and these idiots push things in the exact wrong direction.....because they are either that ignorant or that willing to lie.

Sure, this is a great time for an "Our Elite Suck ASS!" thread!

They won't unless their land is worth a lot. Going into business for oneself isn't a guarantee of success.

Isn't there something like a 90% failure rate?

Fewer cows is exactly what we need, we have long produced more milk than we can use. This is an example of America not working, of the supply/demand theory not working or not being allowed to work.

In way you are right, we need fewer cows, now. The problem with milk production is that it only takes about two years for a farmer to increase the number of milking cows in his herd and thus production. This creates a situation where when prices go up, a farmer will increase the size of his herd. When prices go down he sells of part of the herd for beef. The problem with the whole situation is that all the farmers do the same thing at the same time. They are all increasing the size of their herds to make more money when the price goes up actually causing the price to go down from over production. Ten when the price goes down they are all selling off part of their herd for beef and it cause an overabundance of meat on the market and that depresses the price of beef. And the circle of life goes on as less milk cows and less milk production causes the price to go up again.

In way you are right, we need fewer cows, now. The problem with milk production is that it only takes about two years for a farmer to increase the number of milking cows in his herd and thus production. This creates a situation where when prices go up, a farmer will increase the size of his herd. When prices go down he sells of part of the herd for beef. The problem with the whole situation is that all the farmers do the same thing at the same time. They are all increasing the size of their herds to make more money when the price goes up actually causing the price to go down from over production. Ten when the price goes down they are all selling off part of their herd for beef and it cause an overabundance of meat on the market and that depresses the price of beef. And the circle of life goes on as less milk cows and less milk production causes the price to go up again.

We have had too much milk for most of my life....Your "Two year problem" barely factors.

I pay $4.99 for a 1/2 gallon glass bottle of whole milk that is not homogenized, from Jersey cows, and there is a $2 deposit on the bottle. Stuff is so good compared to store bought milk. I get is at a local growers outlet. I pay around your $3.75 for a dozen eggs, free range, no hormone, etc. The last pack of 18 I bough was nearly $5.

It's good to be able to buy the food I like, because the cheaper stuff is so mediocre once you had the good stuff. I buy almost exclusively the Tillamook cheeses. They use smaller farm dairy co-ops to get their milk from, and use local cows rather than milkfat from gigantic California operations. Their cheeses have a higher fat content and most others, and are delicious.

It's also great buying fruits and vegetables from the growers outlet. The taste is so much better.

You are right there is no beating the taste of local grown fresh fruits and vegetables. It is getting so popular even the meats are now local rather than everything going to the big packers and then shipped everywhere. It seems to be getting more popular each year.

The eggs have come down in price in my area because of competition. They were $3.75 a dozen last year. They run specials all the time though. One of my favorites is Lands at Hillside Farms only a 10 minute ride from my house.

hillside.jpg

Well I think it depends whether kids run and play like we did or whether they sit in a chair all day pressing buttons.

Isn't Canada entitled to protect THEIR farmers too? CANADA FIRST!

You won't have to. Once Trump is out of office some democrat will give everything away again that we fought for.

You won't have to. Once Trump is out of office some democrat will give everything away again that we fought for.

So far all indications are that once Trump is gone the darkness deepens.....lessons must be handed out to those who dared complain about their oppression.

UTOPIA IS A STERN BITCH!

Let me remind you that the democrats were not only able to get the amount of coal mined reduced, but it’s selling price too. Selling 4% whole milk means you’re selling 96% bottled water.

Ending up with cartels and monopolies is a fallacy. No company has ever had a monopoly without the government or its government regulators help. People who are willing to stream line there business to provide for a cheaper goods price are a good thing from a consumers stand point. And just because some large corporations are doing it really well and the consumer is rewarding them with purchasing their product shouldn't be seen as a bad thing when in fact its the opposite.
Businesses that lobby is their prerogative but it should be a waste of resources, if government officials are being bought off or giving out special favor because of the lobbying then you have corruption and the focus should be on getting him out of office and replacing with someone who has more morals.
If dairies put higher chemicals and antibiotic in their products that's their business. We should ask our government to make sure that they are letting the public know whats in their product and that they are being truthful, nothing more. If you want that antibiotic chemical infested milk then its your to have, if you want milk that is antibiotic and chemical free then you can choose to pay the higher price for it. If no one is selling that style of milk its because their is no demand for that style, if their is a demand for that style and no is selling it then you have beautiful opportunity to take advantage of it just like other could.

You are describing a business utopia, not a business reality, particularly for any perishable goods, short shelf life product category. That said, I have no problem with business bigness for its own accord. I have a problem with the lack of business breadth up and down the spectrum. You end up with self fulfilling prophecies that are not all that consumer friendly, like it or not when you don't have a healthy spectrum of business participants. Expecting the farm community which has always relied upon government assistance to help guide it to markets that match its scale is laughably naive. Just "farming", just the tilling of the soil is brutally difficult work requiring a full commitment from a family farmer just to get it done at all.

It is a commitment to a career that is actually a life commitment. We had that sort of commitment in my business...but we were trying to change the world and we knew it and in fact we did it. Other than people making life commitments or changing the world, you will not likely find anything like that sort of career commitment.

Last edited:
You are right there is no beating the taste of local grown fresh fruits and vegetables. It is getting so popular even the meats are now local rather than everything going to the big packers and then shipped everywhere.

LOL...

We have a "gentleman's club" in the Sellwood area called The Acropolis owned by a rancher. Guess when all those excellence Angus beef steaks come from!

Let me remind you that the democrats were not only able to get the amount of coal mined reduced, but it’s selling price too. Selling 4% whole milk means you’re selling 96% bottled water.

Not true. It comes from the cow a around 4% milk fat.

That 4% (2% or skim) on the milk container label is the fat content of the milk not the milk content. Whole cow's milk naturally has about 4% fat content.

Back
Top Bottom