• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Winter Baseball

Deegan

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Is anyone else excited about the World baseball classic, I know I am. Cubs tickets just went on sale today, so I am really in the mood for some B ball, who are you rooting for? I am going to wait and see how many of my favorite players are on what teams, but I imagine I'll be rooting for the good ol U S of A.;)

It starts on March 2nd and it will be aired on ESPN, be there or be square.

The first game just finished. For the record, it started today (March 3rd), NOT March second.

Taiwan just couldn't get the bats going and South Korea was able to make single runs in the 5th and 6th stand for a 2-0 win in the first game of the tournament. Taiwan got two on in the ninth, but the rally was snuffed by an outstanding diving play by the Korean shortstop.

This means unless there is a major upset in the next couple of days on this side of the Pacific, Japan and Korea will make it to the second round. The likelihood of Taiwan beating Japan is slim and the chances of China beating Korea are almost nil. Either one would have to happen to give Taiwan a chance. Too bad too, because Taiwan had won the last two against Korea in major regional competitions.

Both teams played great defense though. Taiwan will have to repeat that tomorrow to have any chance against the powerful Japanese.

BTW, I am still ticked off at the Damn Yankees (AKA Evil Empire) for not permitting Wang Chianming to pitch for Taiwan, not that I think that made the difference today.

Update from the Asian group of the World Baseball Classic

Last night, Japan routed Chinese Peiping 18-2. I didn't see it, but it must have been ugly.

This morning, South Korea routed Chinese Peiping 10-1. The Chinese looked positively awful in that one. South Korea was making the Chinese look like a bunch of Little Leagers. I think the University of Georgia could have beaten the Chinese.

Japan plays Taiwan in about one hour from now. If Japan wins, both Japan and South Korea advance to the second round. If Taiwan pulls off the upset, it will go to the final day.

Tomorrow, Taiwan plays Chinese Peiping in the early game while Japan plays South Korea in the late game.

Current Standings

Team W L RS RA
South Korea 2 0 12 1
Japan 1 0 18 2
Taiwan 0 1 0 2
Chinese Peiping 0 2 3 28

GO TAIWAN!!! 臺灣國加油!!!!

South Korea, Japan qualify for second round

As expected, Japan defeated Taiwan to allow it and South Korea to progress to the second round of the World Baseball Classic.

Japan scored three controversial runs in the first inning after the home plate umpire missed a clear strike call that could have ended the inning. Japan followed with a three run home run that Taiwan could never recover from. Unlike the Korea game, Taiwan had plenty of scoring chances, but the only one it could take advantage of before the sixth inning was off a bizzare balk call where the Japanese pitcher lost his grip on the ball, causing him to lose it in the windup, allowing Chang Taishan (my favorite player in Taiwan) to score.

I don't know how many runners Taiwan left in scoring position today, but it was way too many. Japan, on the other hand, was taking advantage of its scoring opportunities, though Ichiro has struggled in both games thus far.

The final score was 14-3.

Tomorrow, South Korea and Japan will only play for the group win (and pride as they don't like each other.) Taiwan and Chinese Peiping will be playing for pride as well as the two don't like one another.

This tournament so far has confirmed the status quo in the region. Japan is far the superior team. Korea and Taiwan are pretty level, while Chinese Peiping are still the regions whipping boys.

Current Standings - Group A

Team W L RS RA
Japan 2 0 32 5
South Korea 2 0 12 1
Taiwan 0 2 3 16
Chinese Peiping 0 2 3 28

Teams in bold have qualified for the second round.

Group A is in its last day as Taiwan crushed Chinese Peiping 12-3 in the opener. Taiwan cruised from the beginning showing that the Chinese have made no significant ground on the Big Three in Asia.

Personally, I don't think China should have been in the tournament. The Philippines are traditionally the fourth best team in the region. It was only in the 2003 Asia Championships that China surpassed them for the first time. The Philippine team is generally the better one. We shall see in next year's Asian Championships to be played here in Taiwan. Hopefully, DP will have first hand reports from yours truly as I am going to try to attend some games.

Japan - Korea begins at 5PM Taiwan time (6PM Japan time)

World Baseball Classic – Group A Standings

Team Wins Losses Runs Scored Runs Allowed
Japan
日本 2 0 32 5
South Korea
南韓 2 0 12 1
Taiwan
臺灣國 1 2 15 19
Chinese Peiping
中華北平 0 3 6 40

Korea wins group A

Korea stunned Japan in the final game of group A to win the group. Both Korea and Japan qualify for the second round. Korea took the lead with a two-run home run in the top of the eighth inning.

Both teams are now scheduled to make the trip to the United States to participate in the final eight.

Congrats to both teams.

Final Group A Standings

World Baseball Classic – Group A Standings

Team Wins Losses Runs Scored Runs Allowed
South Korea
南韓 3 0 15 3
Japan
日本 2 1 34 8
Taiwan
臺灣國 1 2 15 19
Chinese Peiping
中華北平 0 3 6 40

Ichiro got egg on his face when he predicted that japan would beat Korea and that Japanese baseball was 30 years ahead of the rest of the Asian teams including Korea. So much for the humble Japanese attitude. Ichiro should stay away from players like Barry Bonds, stupidity seems to be catchy,

I am really interested to see what the Dominican team is going to do. PR gave the Mets a dubbing on Sunday.

Deegan said:
Is anyone else excited about the World baseball classic, I know I am. Cubs tickets just went on sale today, so I am really in the mood for some B ball, who are you rooting for? I am going to wait and see how many of my favorite players are on what teams, but I imagine I'll be rooting for the good ol U S of A.;)

It starts on March 2nd and it will be aired on ESPN, be there or be square.

Not sure I care too much about the World Baseball Classic, although I am psyched about the start of the new season. I'm a huge Cardinal Fan, although it's been difficult in the post-season the last couple of years when their pitching and hitting both died at the same time in the World Series a couple years ago and against the Astros last year...

If it weren't for Pujols, it would have been significantly worse... God knows Edmonds went into the tank last year, Rolen stunk up the joint against the Red Sox and was hurt last year... Hoping they do even better this year...

Well I have not been able to catch a single game thus far, it's obviously the time difference, so I'll have to wait till the games come home I guess.:(

Personally, I think that MLB needs to rethink this entire event. It is great for the game, but perhaps it should be done AFTER the major leagues around the world have completed their seasons and the Asian Cup club championship has been concluded. Late November/Early December in warm weather States or countries should host. Taiwan has been known to host baseball tournaments in November and December for example. It would prevent teams like the Yankees from trying to sabotage the event.

ludahai said:
Personally, I think that MLB needs to rethink this entire event. It is great for the game, but perhaps it should be done AFTER the major leagues around the world have completed their seasons and the Asian Cup club championship has been concluded. Late November/Early December in warm weather States or countries should host. Taiwan has been known to host baseball tournaments in November and December for example. It would prevent teams like the Yankees from trying to sabotage the event.

Absolutely. And games can be played in Florida, California and Texas. The other nations who host the games are in "weather friendly" areas or have domed stadiums. Good idea. Anything to shut "King George" up.

Back
Top Bottom