• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Winner Take All Electoral College

The US constitution does not designate how states assign their electoral votes.

Without a constitutional convention, how can we amend our electoral process so 14 states (The battleground states) do not control the entire election for president?

Would declaring "Winner Take All" elector states an unconstitutional practice help?

I am of the opinion that eliminating winner take all would automatically ensure all states matter in the presidential election. The EC is fine; the way electoral votes are awarded is the problem. Democrats in Texas may as well not vote. Republicans in California may as well not vote.

Why is it OK for fourteen states to dictate the outcome of the presidential election despite who votes for who?

Red:
No. Such a declaration is itself unconstitutional; the assignment/apportionment of electors is wholly the province of the states.

Blue:
It once was. The EC as it works today isn't the EC the Founders implemented. The post-Founder EC has outlived its usefulness to all but Republicans.

Pink:
It's not, unless one is a Republican, in which case it's the only way one gets a GOP-er in the WH, which is why GOP-ers proffer all manners of opposition to any rumblings re: abolishing the EC.

There were mass urban centres in 17whatever? There were more people living in cities than rural in 17whatever?

Actually there were way more poeple living in PA, NY and NE than say GA, KY, etc ...
You don't know what you are talking about. Then again you are from canada so i don't
expect you to actually know american history that well.

Red:

Pink:
It's not, unless one is a Republican, in which case it's the only way one gets a GOP-er in the WH, which is why GOP-ers proffer all manners of opposition to any rumblings re: abolishing the EC.

So, you have just argued for a "tyranny of the majority" by positing that the only currently viable opposition party to the "populist" Democrats, who cozen votes by the equivalent of "bread and circuses" policies, could not get a President elected absent the Electoral College.

Thank you for pointing out one damn good reason for having an Electoral College buffer between the "popular vote" and the goal of having the United STATES elect a chief executive to consider the needs of all member states and not just the one's with the largest most demanding populations. :coffeepap:

So, you have just argued for a "tyranny of the majority" by positing that the only currently viable opposition party to the "populist" Democrats, who cozen votes by the equivalent of "bread and circuses" policies, could not get a President elected absent the Electoral College.

Thank you for pointing out one damn good reason for having an Electoral College buffer between the "popular vote" and the goal of having the United STATES elect a chief executive to consider the needs of all member states and not just the one's with the largest most demanding populations. :coffeepap:

Red:
You just keep thinking that....

Why would you argue that position to me in an attempt to refute my post when I NEVER took that position in the first place?

There was no attempt.

Simple - abolish the EC and declare the winner the same way that every other elected office in America is determined by - who gets the most votes from he voters wins.

Simple, abolish the EC and take away all minority rights.

Simple, abolish the EC and take away all minority rights.

Who would lose their rights if you went to electing the President the same way every other office in our nation is elected?

Who would lose their rights if you went to electing the President the same way every other office in our nation is elected?

I take it you want the liberal elite on the west and east coast to control everything.

The US constitution does not designate how states assign their electoral votes.

Without a constitutional convention, how can we amend our electoral process so 14 states (The battleground states) do not control the entire election for president?

Would declaring "Winner Take All" elector states an unconstitutional practice help?

I am of the opinion that eliminating winner take all would automatically ensure all states matter in the presidential election. The EC is fine; the way electoral votes are awarded is the problem. Democrats in Texas may as well not vote. Republicans in California may as well not vote.

Why is it OK for fourteen states to dictate the outcome of the presidential election despite who votes for who?

It used to not be that way. There never was a time when all states were in play. But at least 40 were. Reagan won 49 states in 1984 to include such deep blue states as Massachusetts and New York. The elder Bush won California in 1988, the last time California went Republican in a presidential election. Bill Clinton won Georgia, Arkansas, Louisiana, Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia and Missouri in 1992 and won them again in 1996 with the exception of Georgia. A lot depends on the candidates nominated as to which states are in play.

Today, the Democrats own the Northeast, Pennsylvania, Virgina up to Maine, the Island states of Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Illinois around the Grate Lakes and the West Coast states. The Republicans the south and the plain states. But Trump proved a Republican could win in Democratic states like Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin. So much depends on the candidates.

What I'd like to see with the electoral college is that if a candidates wins a state with 50% plus one vote he gets all that states electoral votes. But if no candidate achieves that, then award electoral votes via congressional districts, Maine and Nebraska do that now with the plurality winner getting the final two electoral votes given to the states due to them having two senators.

Yes, they do. 14 "Swing" states are the only states that matter.

To you perhaps. Why should we capitulate and allow you to dictate to the rest?

Yeah, conservatism doesn't die easy, that's for sure. Liberal democracy has to be nurtured lest the conservatives sneak the bad old days back into society.

Ahh yes. Freedom lovers everywhere will always fight the leftists progressive democrat statists and slave owners.

Enjoy your white hood for as long as it lasts.

Republicans will stomp you out again eventually.

I take it you want the liberal elite on the west and east coast to control everything.

There are not enough of them to do that so your question is based on a false premise.

You did NOT answer my question. I ask you again - who would lose their rights if you went to electing the President the same way every other office in our nation is elected?

How can I say this nicely? Stuff it the only place you can, and it's in Canada, thankfully.

I support eliminating the EC. One of its purposes was to act as a stopgap in case the voters elect a dangerously unqualified fool as president. The 2016 election shows that the EC is unwilling to act in this capacity, so I don't see a good reason to keep it. Just use the popular vote count.

Trump is more qualifed to be President than most before him. FACT: Obama had 0 executive experience. Zippo, zilch, nada, goose egg. Where was your outrage at the EC then?

Trump is more qualifed to be President than most before him. FACT: Obama had 0 executive experience. Zippo, zilch, nada, goose egg. Where was your outrage at the EC then?

Trump is a two bit huckster who struggles to use proper spelling and grammar in his half baked tweets.

There are not enough of them to do that so your question is based on a false premise.

The hell it's not, the entire west coast is liberal as is the east coast, and you want them to control everything.

who would lose their rights if you went to electing the President the same way every other office in our nation is elected?

The less populated states such as the farm belt, and the industrial states. The ones that Obama said their jobs were not coming back. It's really simple, Trump won because he went to the states that mattered. He went to the middle class workers unlike Crooked Hillary who wrote them off as deplorables.

California has 35 million people and there is not one industrial anything in that state same with Oregon and Washington. Washington has Boing and that's it but even they moved their headquarters to Chicago.

I repeat you want the liberal elite to rule the country and not give squat to the farm and industrial belt.

Your just pissed that Trump beat your Crooked Hillary, and you want to rig the election so that there is never again a Republican president ever again. You do know that CA is run totally by democrats. There is just a handful of Republican that have absolutely no voice at all.

The hell it's not, the entire west coast is liberal as is the east coast, and you want them to control everything.

The less populated states such as the farm belt, and the industrial states. The ones that Obama said their jobs were not coming back. It's really simple, Trump won because he went to the states that mattered. He went to the middle class workers unlike Crooked Hillary who wrote them off as deplorables.

California has 35 million people and there is not one industrial anything in that state same with Oregon and Washington. Washington has Boing and that's it but even they moved their headquarters to Chicago.

I repeat you want the liberal elite to rule the country and not give squat to the farm and industrial belt.

Your just pissed that Trump beat your Crooked Hillary, and you want to rig the election so that there is never again a Republican president ever again. You do know that CA is run totally by democrats. There is just a handful of Republican that have absolutely no voice at all.

Again, you did NOT answer my question but simply used it as a springboard for your own rant.

I ask you again, which American would lose their rights if we went to electing the President the same way we do every other office in this country?

Trump is a two bit huckster who struggles to use proper spelling and grammar in his half baked tweets.

Now tell me again how great Obamafail was.

Obamafail’s Stupidly,
Putin told Obamafail to stay out of Crimea and he said yes sir. How stupid was that???
Putin told Obamafail to NOT sell arms to Ukrainian and he said yes sir. How stupid was that.
Putin told Obamafail to NOT put our missile defense shield in NATO, he again says yes sir. How stupid was that.
Obamafail asked Putin of all people to certify that all of Syria’s WMD were taking out of Syria and Putin lied to Obamafail. How stupid was that?
Obamafail told Russia that once he is reelected he can be more flexible to what Putin wants. How stupid was that. Obamafail loved Putin and did whatever Putin wanted. How stupid was that. Watch the video.
https://video.search.yahoo.com/sear...ebe22615f3d65bfe65b0b38fafc50134&action=click
Obamafail was in office and what did he do to shut down NK’s nuclear program. Absolutely nothing. Obamafail was a stupid coward.
Obamafail flies in the middle of the night to Iran to deliver billions in cash so that Iran can fund their terrorists group without the money being traced. How stupid was that?
Obamafail cuts a deal with Iran to delay the making of nukes for 10 yrs and the agreement does not have inspections anywhere anytime. Not only that, no one can inspect any of Iran’s military bases. How stupid was that?
Obamafail pulls out of Iraq and leaves ISIS to materialize and when they do he calls them the JV Team. However that JV Team was not JV at all, making Obamafail to go back into Iraq to try to eradicate ISIS by tying the hands of our military. Thus he could not eradicate ISIS. How stupid was that?
Obamafail yells out his RED LINE to Syria to never use WMD’s on its people again, Yep Syria walked all over Obamafail’s RED LINE. Obamafail does nothing. What a ****ing dumbass coward.
Obamafail bombs the crap out of Lybia and walks away. And in doing so the resistance builds and raids our embassy killing four of our own. And Obamafail goes around calling it a protest of some stupid video. How stupid can this dumbass be?
Obamafail borrows and spends 10 trillion doubling our national and has the crown of borrowing more than all the president before him combinded. And what did we get, the worst economic recovery in US History. How stupid was that?
Obamafail gives Solyndra 400 million of tax payer money to make solar panels, the company goes broke. How stupid was that????
Obamafail bails out GM with taxpayer money that we lost 11.2 billion on the deal. How stupid was that.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/30/gm-bailout-cost_n_5240260.html
Obamafail campaigned on closing Clubgetmo and guess what it’s still in use. How stupid was that???
Obamafail’s signature so called achievement was Obamacare that he promised you can keep your Dr., you can keep your insurance, and you’ll save $2,500 per yr per family on your health insurance. Guess what Obamacare was a complete failure. How stupid was he????
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpa-5JdCnmo
Obamafail’s rollout of Obamacare was the worst in US History, and he had to continue to write executive orders to push out dates of different parts of Obamacare so that it would not crash under his term in office. Not one Republican voted for Obamafails signature failure. How stupid was he????
Obamafail locked up Utah’s land for a park but that got overturned by Trump. How stupid was that????
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/dec/28/obama-claims-16m-western-acres-national-monuments/
Obamafail, did what to get NATO to get them to pay their fair share which is 2% of their GDP, but none of them were paying up except the US paying our share and subsidizing them.
Obamafail buys his allies, how stupid is that?????
Obamafail killed the Keystone pipeline, why? Because he thought the pipeline would be safer and less expensive, can’t have that so he killed it. How stupid was that???
What did Obamafail do against China for stealing our intellectual capital? And China ripping us off on trade. He did not a ****ing thing, what a stupid coward he was?
What did Obamafail do to kill NAFTA that was ripping off our country? And renegotiate NAFTA for a better deal. What a stupid coward he was?
Obamafail cuts a deal with Iran so they can have nukes in 10 yrs. and he has no inspections anytime anywhere. BTW Obamafail could not go on an Iran military bass. How stupid is that. Remember Reagan’s famous quote “trust but verify” Obamafail missed that speech.
I could go on and on but no use.
I would say Harvard didn’t teach him a ****ing thing.

Again, you did NOT answer my question but simply used it as a springboard for your own rant.

I don't give a **** what you think

I ask you again, which American would lose their rights if we went to electing the President the same way we do every other office in this country?

I know you have a hard time understanding anything but I already answered your question.

Now go back to your sandbox

:beatdeadhorse

Sounds like someone who does not believe we live in the United STATES of America. Why not get rid of the senate using the same logic.

Since theory was that the Senate represented the states, and the Senate has become just a redundant representative of the people, I see no reason for keeping it.

I don't give a **** what you think

I know you have a hard time understanding anything but I already answered your question.

Now go back to your sandbox

:beatdeadhorse

Insulting me at the level of a third grader is not debate.

NO you did not answer my question . Which Americans would lose their right if we elected the President by popular vote. Name One.

Now tell me again how great Obamafail was.

Obamafail’s Stupidly,
Putin told Obamafail to stay out of Crimea and he said yes sir. How stupid was that???
Putin told Obamafail to NOT sell arms to Ukrainian and he said yes sir. How stupid was that.
Putin told Obamafail to NOT put our missile defense shield in NATO, he again says yes sir. How stupid was that.
Obamafail asked Putin of all people to certify that all of Syria’s WMD were taking out of Syria and Putin lied to Obamafail. How stupid was that?
Obamafail told Russia that once he is reelected he can be more flexible to what Putin wants. How stupid was that. Obamafail loved Putin and did whatever Putin wanted. How stupid was that. Watch the video.
https://video.search.yahoo.com/sear...ebe22615f3d65bfe65b0b38fafc50134&action=click
Obamafail was in office and what did he do to shut down NK’s nuclear program. Absolutely nothing. Obamafail was a stupid coward.
Obamafail flies in the middle of the night to Iran to deliver billions in cash so that Iran can fund their terrorists group without the money being traced. How stupid was that?
Obamafail cuts a deal with Iran to delay the making of nukes for 10 yrs and the agreement does not have inspections anywhere anytime. Not only that, no one can inspect any of Iran’s military bases. How stupid was that?
Obamafail pulls out of Iraq and leaves ISIS to materialize and when they do he calls them the JV Team. However that JV Team was not JV at all, making Obamafail to go back into Iraq to try to eradicate ISIS by tying the hands of our military. Thus he could not eradicate ISIS. How stupid was that?
Obamafail yells out his RED LINE to Syria to never use WMD’s on its people again, Yep Syria walked all over Obamafail’s RED LINE. Obamafail does nothing. What a ****ing dumbass coward.
Obamafail bombs the crap out of Lybia and walks away. And in doing so the resistance builds and raids our embassy killing four of our own. And Obamafail goes around calling it a protest of some stupid video. How stupid can this dumbass be?
Obamafail borrows and spends 10 trillion doubling our national and has the crown of borrowing more than all the president before him combinded. And what did we get, the worst economic recovery in US History. How stupid was that?
Obamafail gives Solyndra 400 million of tax payer money to make solar panels, the company goes broke. How stupid was that????
Obamafail bails out GM with taxpayer money that we lost 11.2 billion on the deal. How stupid was that.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/30/gm-bailout-cost_n_5240260.html
Obamafail campaigned on closing Clubgetmo and guess what it’s still in use. How stupid was that???
Obamafail’s signature so called achievement was Obamacare that he promised you can keep your Dr., you can keep your insurance, and you’ll save $2,500 per yr per family on your health insurance. Guess what Obamacare was a complete failure. How stupid was he????
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpa-5JdCnmo
Obamafail’s rollout of Obamacare was the worst in US History, and he had to continue to write executive orders to push out dates of different parts of Obamacare so that it would not crash under his term in office. Not one Republican voted for Obamafails signature failure. How stupid was he????
Obamafail locked up Utah’s land for a park but that got overturned by Trump. How stupid was that????
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/dec/28/obama-claims-16m-western-acres-national-monuments/
Obamafail, did what to get NATO to get them to pay their fair share which is 2% of their GDP, but none of them were paying up except the US paying our share and subsidizing them.
Obamafail buys his allies, how stupid is that?????
Obamafail killed the Keystone pipeline, why? Because he thought the pipeline would be safer and less expensive, can’t have that so he killed it. How stupid was that???
What did Obamafail do against China for stealing our intellectual capital? And China ripping us off on trade. He did not a ****ing thing, what a stupid coward he was?
What did Obamafail do to kill NAFTA that was ripping off our country? And renegotiate NAFTA for a better deal. What a stupid coward he was?
Obamafail cuts a deal with Iran so they can have nukes in 10 yrs. and he has no inspections anytime anywhere. BTW Obamafail could not go on an Iran military bass. How stupid is that. Remember Reagan’s famous quote “trust but verify” Obamafail missed that speech.
I could go on and on but no use.
I would say Harvard didn’t teach him a ****ing thing.

you forgot that he wore a tan suit and put his feet on the Resolute desk.

Not one of which disqualifies anyone from being president.

Not one of which disqualifies anyone from being president.

It's unfortunate that you feel that way. However, my point is that the Electoral College has outlived its usefulness, and I no longer support it.

Back
Top Bottom