• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Windows XP crashes

Kandahar

Enemy Combatant
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Everytime I open My Computer and right-click on any files or folders or drives, Windows Explorer immediately crashes. The same thing happens when I click "File -> Open" on any program and then right-click on the file. Needless to say, this is a pain in the ass as I literally have no way of deleting or modifying my files. I was just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems and knows of a solution.

Never had or heard of this specific problem.

Would start w/ a complete set of malware scans performed after booting in safe mode.

Can you pinpoint the onset of these symptoms?

Have you tried to go back to an earlier restore point?

This is a new computer. I don't think it's ever NOT done this.

If it's new, would you consider reinstalling Windows and building it up from scratch?

When you say that it crashes, what exactly do you mean?

bsod?
reboots?
screen goes black?
locks up?

Simon W. Moon said:

bsod?
reboots?
screen goes black?
locks up?
Votes for Kerry?...:doh

shuamort said:
If it's new, would you consider reinstalling Windows and building it up from scratch?

Maybe, if it's really necessary. I was hoping there was another way to fix this problem though.

Simon W. Moon said:

bsod?
reboots?
screen goes black?
locks up?

Windows Explorer shuts down and gives me the "Send a report to Microsoft so we can ignore it" message.

You said it's a new computer.....are all of your patches and such up to date? Have you tried running a virus scan? Spyware and adware scans?

One program I like to use is The Ultimate Troubleshooter. You can use it ten times for free. It will identify all running processes on your computer and tell you which ones are safe, and which ones are questionable or harmful. They also have an index on their website where you can look up common processes and see exactly what they do. With the trial version, if you can't immediately identify what the process is, you'll have to go look it up; it only explains it right there in the program if you buy it.

You can find the program here. There is an option in the right column to "Download TUT demo v2.72".

• Run disc cleanup on all drives
  • Run disc defragmentor
  • Restart
  • Press F8 during restart
  • Go to safe boot
  • Try opening files at that point
  • If you still have a problem, go over to >Start\DOS Prompt
  • Once in DOS, type "SFC /scannow" hit return
  • Have you XP disc nearby and put in if asked
  • After scan is complete, go out of DOS and re-boot normally

Back
Top Bottom