• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Windows 8

lizzie

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Arghhhhhh. I don't like it. I want my toolbars and taskbars back. :shock: I bought a new computer today, and it has Windows 8. It's so different from what I'm used to, and I'm not that technologically inclined to begin with. It's a good thing that I got an excellent deal on the computer, or I would be highly pissed. Sorry- just had to piss and moan a little. It's good for the soul. :2razz:

Just click on 'Desktop' and it looks largely the same.

The cut/paste drives me nuts.

Arghhhhhh. I don't like it. I want my toolbars and taskbars back. :shock: I bought a new computer today, and it has Windows 8. It's so different from what I'm used to, and I'm not that technologically inclined to begin with. It's a good thing that I got an excellent deal on the computer, or I would be highly pissed. Sorry- just had to piss and moan a little. It's good for the soul. :2razz:

Download classic shell. It's a 3rd party program that will make it look more like Win 7. I got a new laptop recently with win 8 and I hate it like everyone else. I'm about to upgrade back to Win 7.

Download classic shell. It's a 3rd party program that will make it look more like Win 7. I got a new laptop recently with win 8 and I hate it like everyone else. I'm about to upgrade back to Win 7.

Where do I find it?

Nevermind- found it. :)

Last edited:
Install GNU/Linux or FreeBSD. :2razz:

People who rarely use windows will find windows 8 hard to use, but atleast they still allow classic shell.

I don't like using Alt-F4 to keep closing apps. The worst app invented is the Adobe PDF Reader app. Once I finally realized it was an app, I went and got the regular Adobe reader where I can actually print from it.

I avoid W8 like the plague. W7 works just fine, why 'fix' what ain't broke?

Windows 8 has been put in the reserve slot for windows upgrades at microsoft because it was a failure. Stick to win7 premium.

I've had Win8 since release...almost a year...and I love it.

Now...I use the desktop about 90% of the time, but I use the modern ui start screen a lot, too. I've found some apps that are quite useful and that save me having to open a browser or another program to get the same information. Bottom line, though, Win8 is faster, more stable and more secure than Win7. In my opinion, that's enough of a reason to switch.

I'll never go back to plain old Win7 again.

The next version of Windows, 8.1, is supposed to come out within the next month. Last I heard it was a free upgrade, and it allows you to customize your desktop more like Windows 7. You might keep your eyes out for that and not save too many files to your computer yet.
Install GNU/Linux or FreeBSD. :2razz:
That's probably what I'll do with my next machine.

Good plan. Then she can still hate her computer and hate herself as well for spending three times the amount of money for something she hates. ;)
I'll never go back to plain old Win7 again.
Unfortunately, we all will have to say that. It was really stupid of Windows to remove the option to boot to desktop and have the start button. There's no good reason for that decision.

I avoid W8 like the plague. W7 works just fine, why 'fix' what ain't broke?

Because my old computer was starting to go on the blink, and sounded like a 747 taking off from DFW. :lol: I couldn't find one in my price range that had W7.

The next version of Windows, 8.1, is supposed to come out within the next month. Last I heard it was a free upgrade, and it allows you to customize your desktop more like Windows 7. You might keep your eyes out for that and not save too many files to your computer yet.

Unfortunately, we all will have to say that. It was really stupid of Windows to remove the option to boot to desktop and have the start button. There's no good reason for that decision.

For me, Win8.1 won't make much of a difference...except cosmetically, maybe. Different sized tiles, having any wallpaper as a background...those are cool things, but not a big deal for me. There might be other improvements I haven't heard about yet, so we'll see.

It sucks for y'all who are hating Win8, for sure. You will all eventually have to get used to Win8. On the upside, it's easy to get used to. Let not your heart be troubled.

About booting to desktop...the funny thing for me is that my computer always boots to desktop and I don't use any of those addons that people talk about. I use Yahoo Messenger and when it starts up, it automatically switches me to desktop mode.

Oh, and that Start Button...I've never used it much so I don't miss it one bit.

One thing I do miss sometimes is Aero. I can understand dumping it so that Win8 will work on a wide range of systems...a lot of which would get bogged down if Aero were activated. My desktop, though, is pretty powerful so it wouldn't affect my system at all...not with 6 hyperthreaded cores and 32GB's of RAM. But hey...I lived without Aero before Win7...I can live without it now.

Good plan. Then she can still hate her computer and hate herself as well for spending three times the amount of money for something she hates. ;)

You know, for years, this (obviously good natured) argument went back and forth between my son and I. Now, he is a "computer guy" who develops systems and writes complex applications. So, effectively, he is a highly compensated "computer guy" who has never known unemployment. He has job offers all over the country. Of the hundreds of applications that were reviewed for the submission of the Yucca Mtn. final application, a program with thousands of aspects, his was the submission they chose for this multi-billion dollar project. Because he is very shy by nature, he has always refused upper management positions and chosen to be hands on. I'll stop boasting about him now.

He is now the "computer guy" for UNLV and the highest paid one. He finally had to look at MAC since the university has both types. He told me that he owed me an apology - MACs are indeed "better" than Windows.

Now, better is in the eye of the beholder. I bought my first MAC in 1987 because I had a fight with my typesetter who was always late with the company newsletter. I, nearsighted as I am, learned to do my work on that 9" screen which cost thousands of dollars. As each generation went by, I updated my machine. I adjusted from System 4 all the way to 10.6. In short, I know quite a bit about MACs. But I have friends that have Windows machines for budgetary (and familiarity) reasons and when they have problems, I try to help, since I'm more "computer literate" than they are - even if not on Windows.

I can tell you right now that the reason for the price difference isn't just arbitrary. You are paying for the far more intelligent array (not to mention all the annoying stuff of Windows) and yes, my son builds his own and strips out the garbage from the OS but he's paid 6 figures for knowing how to do this.

Personally, I don't care a feather or a fig about what computers other people use. I don't have any Apple stock. But I'm a smart enough cookie who has used his computer through 25 years of self employment and I can honestly say that the MAC OIS is so superior in its layout and methods that people who are just casual users would be far better off with MAC.

Just like the cats v. dogs argument, there is no point in trying to convince people addicted to Windows. I wish you nothing but the best. But for anyone who isn't a computer natural and has options, I extend my advice, to be used or rejected.

I think she wanted a computer, not a toy.

I think she wanted a simple, effective, easy to use computer, not a piece of junk that runs Windows. I could be wrong.

I think she wanted a simple, effective, easy to use computer, not a piece of junk that runs Windows. I could be wrong.

Right, she wanted Windows 7.

My mother still hasn't figured it out. I'm pretty sure she just turns it on, stares at it a while, and then turns it off.

You know, for years, this (obviously good natured) argument went back and forth between my son and I. Now, he is a "computer guy" who develops systems and writes complex applications. So, effectively, he is a highly compensated "computer guy" who has never known unemployment. He has job offers all over the country. Of the hundreds of applications that were reviewed for the submission of the Yucca Mtn. final application, a program with thousands of aspects, his was the submission they chose for this multi-billion dollar project. Because he is very shy by nature, he has always refused upper management positions and chosen to be hands on. I'll stop boasting about him now.

He is now the "computer guy" for UNLV and the highest paid one. He finally had to look at MAC since the university has both types. He told me that he owed me an apology - MACs are indeed "better" than Windows.

Now, better is in the eye of the beholder. I bought my first MAC in 1987 because I had a fight with my typesetter who was always late with the company newsletter. I, nearsighted as I am, learned to do my work on that 9" screen which cost thousands of dollars. As each generation went by, I updated my machine. I adjusted from System 4 all the way to 10.6. In short, I know quite a bit about MACs. But I have friends that have Windows machines for budgetary (and familiarity) reasons and when they have problems, I try to help, since I'm more "computer literate" than they are - even if not on Windows.

I can tell you right now that the reason for the price difference isn't just arbitrary. You are paying for the far more intelligent array (not to mention all the annoying stuff of Windows) and yes, my son builds his own and strips out the garbage from the OS but he's paid 6 figures for knowing how to do this.

Personally, I don't care a feather or a fig about what computers other people use. I don't have any Apple stock. But I'm a smart enough cookie who has used his computer through 25 years of self employment and I can honestly say that the MAC OIS is so superior in its layout and methods that people who are just casual users would be far better off with MAC.

Just like the cats v. dogs argument, there is no point in trying to convince people addicted to Windows. I wish you nothing but the best. But for anyone who isn't a computer natural and has options, I extend my advice, to be used or rejected.

Not sure what you mean by this. Does he actually alter the OS? Or does he just disable unnecessary processes? If it's the latter, he is grossly overpaid.

Right, she wanted Windows 7.

Then I offer her my prayers because routinely Windows 7 will update itself while its AV software will update itself to conflict and she can spend joyous hours deleting and reinstalling software. Great discipline.

My mother still hasn't figured it out. I'm pretty sure she just turns it on, stares at it a while, and then turns it off.

If I weren't so damn hard-headed, I'd probably do the same, but I am going to **** with it until it either breaks, or I can use it. ;)

Back
Top Bottom