• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Windows 7

Superfly

Salty, defiant, and completely non-compliant.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
OK I have a question. I have a platform that my school uses for discussions, etc. It's a pretty large, encompassing website, but when I click on a message discussion post, I see the threads for like a half-second, and then the screen goes white. When I go to the desktop upstairs, I have no problem. I downloaded Firefox (which I hate) and I can access the website. I also have issue with seeing some Youtube videos if they are posted like on FB or something. I am using Windows 7. I thought about upgrading to Windows 8, but have heard it's worse than 7. I'm in a dilemma and don't know what to do. I like to be able to access my school website from my laptop, without disappearing upstairs, but for now, it's not working. Any ideas?

Websites can be viewed differently between browsers. It seems it is a browser application issue, not the OS or the computer's. You can either try reinstalling, and upgrading your internet browser of choice, or to use a browser that shows the website. Do other websites load fine on that browser? If so, it is a code issue with the website.

Yeah other websites load fine on it, but I hadn't thought about reinstalling the browser. I'll try that first. I've heard such bad things about Windows 8. Thanks!

well that didn't take long. I went to the IE website and it immediately told me I had the latest version.

well that didn't take long. I went to the IE website and it immediately told me I had the latest version.
Then it might be an out-of-date plug-in for IE, like Adobe Flash Player or something. You can update Flash Player directly from Adobe. If that doesn't help, visit the problem website (in IE) and go to Tools -> Compatibility View. (If there is no Tools menu, press Alt first to get it to appear.) As a last resort, since other websites are loading fine, you might want to contact the administrator of that site and see if they have any thoughts.

thanks. Will try to flash thing now. I have a call in to the school's IT dept but maybe I can figure it out first.

Sounds like you need to update flash.

If that fixes it, go to your control panel, and set your computer to scan for updates once a month, this will keep this from happening again.

Tried that. Flash is updated. My upstairs desktop is about the same age as my laptop (under a year old) and it works fine. I just got off the phone with IT and they are scratching their heads. No clue.

Try Chrome. Seriously, I've had IE since my first computer and held on to it for dear life... until DP upgraded and I could no longer use it here. So I downloaded Chrome, because Firefox just sucks and Chrome has an easy to use "Customize and control" feature that lets me pretty much do everything I want. Also, when I click on a second Chrome icon for a second window, it comes up with a display of my most-used websites for my one-click browsing pleasure. Now I would never, ever go back to IE.

OK I have a question. I have a platform that my school uses for discussions, etc. It's a pretty large, encompassing website, but when I click on a message discussion post, I see the threads for like a half-second, and then the screen goes white. When I go to the desktop upstairs, I have no problem. I downloaded Firefox (which I hate) and I can access the website. I also have issue with seeing some Youtube videos if they are posted like on FB or something. I am using Windows 7. I thought about upgrading to Windows 8, but have heard it's worse than 7. I'm in a dilemma and don't know what to do. I like to be able to access my school website from my laptop, without disappearing upstairs, but for now, it's not working. Any ideas?

I don't have anything to add, but I just wanted to second the claim that it's not an OS problem. Upgrading to Win8 is not a good idea. Not because it's not good, but because it's not what you need.

It does sound like a Flash problem. Trying another browser like Chrome is a good idea. However, if Chrome just uses the same Flash player that you already have installed on that PC, you might still continue to have the same problem.

Try Chrome. Seriously, I've had IE since my first computer and held on to it for dear life... until DP upgraded and I could no longer use it here. So I downloaded Chrome, because Firefox just sucks and Chrome has an easy to use "Customize and control" feature that lets me pretty much do everything I want. Also, when I click on a second Chrome icon for a second window, it comes up with a display of my most-used websites for my one-click browsing pleasure. Now I would never, ever go back to IE.

You haven't noticed any browsing issues with Chrome? I downloaded it when it first came out, and it wreaked havoc on my computer. I might try it again, if it's all that.

I don't have anything to add, but I just wanted to second the claim that it's not an OS problem. Upgrading to Win8 is not a good idea. Not because it's not good, but because it's not what you need.

It does sound like a Flash problem. Trying another browser like Chrome is a good idea. However, if Chrome just uses the same Flash player that you already have installed on that PC, you might still continue to have the same problem.

Worth a shot, though - I can always uninstall it if it doesn't work.

I have chronic insomnia. I'm almost always up late. I could easily stay up until Tues nite.

Same here. I've spent many nights where I'm up 'til 3 or 4 in the morning, then I have to get up at 5 to get the girls up for school. Can you not take anything? I can't. Everything I take either makes me sick, makes my heart race or I become immune to it after a week or so. This bites. :(

Same here. I've spent many nights where I'm up 'til 3 or 4 in the morning, then I have to get up at 5 to get the girls up for school. Can you not take anything? I can't. Everything I take either makes me sick, makes my heart race or I become immune to it after a week or so. This bites. :(

Not really. Anything strong enough to put me to sleep makes me groggy the next day, not to mention they tend to be addictive.

I need no more than 6 hours, and I usually get less than that. I'll take a 1-2 hour nap during the day, usually late afternoon.

It's one of the benefits of being self-employed and semi-retired. I get to make my own schedule.

Not really. Anything strong enough to put me to sleep makes me groggy the next day, not to mention they tend to be addictive.

I need no more than 6 hours, and I usually get less than that. I'll take a 1-2 hour nap during the day, usually late afternoon.

It's one of the benefits of being self-employed and semi-retired. I get to make my own schedule.

Same here. Hubs isn't in the best of health, so I work from home and take classes from home, so I can stay here with him. That also gives me flexibility. I'll be up now 'til probably at least 9 or 10am, if not later, before I finally start to get sleepy. I may grab a couple hour nap, and then I'm done 'til the next night. Second verse, same as the first. :( I hate this. I do. I hate being the only one up at night, while the rest of the family sleeps.

Same here. Hubs isn't in the best of health, so I work from home and take classes from home, so I can stay here with him. That also gives me flexibility. I'll be up now 'til probably at least 9 or 10am, if not later, before I finally start to get sleepy. I may grab a couple hour nap, and then I'm done 'til the next night. Second verse, same as the first. :( I hate this. I do. I hate being the only one up at night, while the rest of the family sleeps.

I don't mind it at all.

When I worked a 9-5er, the work schedule kept me more tethered to a regular schedule, but when I stopped working and took care of my mom, she kept me up. I got used to sleeping in bits and pieces. Since I'm not working a regular schedule, I have no reason to stop.

Where I live, it's nice and quiet at night. I take the dog for nice long walks, post on DP, do some work, and surf the net

I don't mind it at all.

When I worked a 9-5er, the work schedule kept me more tethered to a regular schedule, but when I stopped working and took care of my mom, she kept me up. I got used to sleeping in bits and pieces. Since I'm not working a regular schedule, I have no reason to stop.

Where I live, it's nice and quiet at night. I take the dog for nice long walks, post on DP, do some work, and surf the net

When life gives you lemons, I guess. ;)

I use sustained release Melatonin to go to sleep, but I understand that this isn't "strong enough" for people with serious sleep issues. It's all natural and it works for me.

I use sustained release Melatonin to go to sleep, but I understand that this isn't "strong enough" for people with serious sleep issues. It's all natural and it works for me.

Is that something you can get over the counter, Red? I'll tell you, I'm desperate to try anything. Like Sangha, I can take something, but I'm wiped out the next day, so I have to be careful about what I take. I was so pissed - I went to the store the other day, and grabbed 2 different sleep aids over the counter, because I have become immune to the sleepiness that I get from Benadryl. So I get Zzzquil, and then a generic sleep aid. Got home, and found out that the active ingredient in both sleep aids was 25mg of Diphenhydramine. Also known as Benadryl. :lol:

Is that something you can get over the counter, Red? I'll tell you, I'm desperate to try anything. Like Sangha, I can take something, but I'm wiped out the next day, so I have to be careful about what I take. I was so pissed - I went to the store the other day, and grabbed 2 different sleep aids over the counter, because I have become immune to the sleepiness that I get from Benadryl. So I get Zzzquil, and then a generic sleep aid. Got home, and found out that the active ingredient in both sleep aids was 25mg of Diphenhydramine. Also known as Benadryl. :lol:

You will find it in the vitamin section. Melatonin is a natural chemical that our body makes. It helps me.

Melatonin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You haven't noticed any browsing issues with Chrome? I downloaded it when it first came out, and it wreaked havoc on my computer. I might try it again, if it's all that.

No. It let me import my "favorite" file from IE (which was huge), and I haven't had any problems whatsoever... and this is on an ancient single core machine still running XP!

Back
Top Bottom