• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Windows 10 Version 2004

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
For everyone running a Windows 10 version 1909 Operating System (OS) you have already or soon will receive a notification in Windows Update about the new Windows 10 version 2004 update.

I would hold off on downloading the version 2004 because the initial d/l is a bit buggy with at least 11 significant known issues and quite a few lesser issues. The version 2004 will arrive in two different update releases. The initial version 2004 update (now) is a "Major" release" and another 2004 update will arrive later this year as a "Minor" release. Microsoft has stern warnings that you shouldn’t try to manually install version 2004 if it doesn’t come through Windows Update app. I was provided a choice of updating now or holding off. I chose to postpone the version 2004 update. btw: Microsoft won’t automatically update to version 2004 on its own Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 computers - won’t even offer it to "Download and install." There also seem to be major problems with version 2004 and computers running on Intel’s Optane memory. It’s a big update - 4 GB - so it won’t go down easy over many connections.

My advice is to hold off (opt out for now) and wait until MS debugs both the Major and Minor version 2004 updates.

If it lets you. Swear to God one of the updates it asked me about and I clicked install later and the damn thing went ahead and installed it then. Took like an hour.

For everyone running a Windows 10 version 1909 Operating System (OS) you have already or soon will receive a notification in Windows Update about the new Windows 10 version 2004 update.

I would hold off on downloading the version 2004 because the initial d/l is a bit buggy with at least 11 significant known issues and quite a few lesser issues. The version 2004 will arrive in two different update releases. The initial version 2004 update (now) is a "Major" release" and another 2004 update will arrive later this year as a "Minor" release. Microsoft has stern warnings that you shouldn’t try to manually install version 2004 if it doesn’t come through Windows Update app. I was provided a choice of updating now or holding off. I chose to postpone the version 2004 update. btw: Microsoft won’t automatically update to version 2004 on its own Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 computers - won’t even offer it to "Download and install." There also seem to be major problems with version 2004 and computers running on Intel’s Optane memory. It’s a big update - 4 GB - so it won’t go down easy over many connections.

My advice is to hold off (opt out for now) and wait until MS debugs both the Major and Minor version 2004 updates.

Thanks for the info and the advice!

It's having problems with Firefox and Chrome browsers, which are buggy enough lately. I'll wait till they update the update.

That is always good advice whenever dealing with any Microsoft product. Always wait until the first Service Pack or update has been released before purchasing a new Microsoft product.

I am taking advantage of a Win10 bug/feature. Apparently if your workstation is directly connected to your modem (instead of using WiFi), Win10 does not consider you connected to the Internet. Which means that it never bothers to even check for updates. If I want my workstations updated, I have to do it manually. Which I consider preferable.

Nope. I won't hold off. (and I didn't)

As soon as it became available...even before my computer said it was available...I updated my system. (actually, two different computers)

It IS a big update. Took a while. But no problems. One computer is my desktop that I built myself and the other computer is a Windows tablet.

Both updated and both are working great.

I tried installing it, but it shuts my computer off mid-stream. Upon power up, it undoes the install. Tried it twice, gave up.

If it lets you. Swear to God one of the updates it asked me about and I clicked install later and the damn thing went ahead and installed it then. Took like an hour.

i would recommend scheduling it at a time later on and then going in and updating the software after when I just get on, its what I do and all of the updates happen at convenient times

I tried installing it, but it shuts my computer off mid-stream. Upon power up, it undoes the install. Tried it twice, gave up.

yeah that happened to me once,

i agree

good post(for once) valley

Nope. I won't hold off. (and I didn't)

As soon as it became available...even before my computer said it was available...I updated my system. (actually, two different computers)

It IS a big update. Took a while. But no problems. One computer is my desktop that I built myself and the other computer is a Windows tablet.

Both updated and both are working great.

Don't say you weren't warned.

Updated 5+ machines with no problems.

Sent from my Honor 8X

That is always good advice whenever dealing with any Microsoft product. Always wait until the first Service Pack or update has been released before purchasing a new Microsoft product.

Has not been service packs since 2011 and Windows 7.

There is a content update of Windows 10 every 6 months with the latest being version 2004.

I am taking advantage of a Win10 bug/feature. Apparently if your workstation is directly connected to your modem (instead of using WiFi), Win10 does not consider you connected to the Internet. Which means that it never bothers to even check for updates. If I want my workstations updated, I have to do it manually. Which I consider preferable.

Eh? No... Windows always checks for updates. If you can set metered connections on WiFi to stop update downloads. On ethernet you can not. Only way to stop updates is to disable Windows update or use a 3rd party app to do it. To me it sounds like your installation is partially corrupted or infected with a virus, if you have not done the update disabling.

Sent from my Honor 8X

Has not been service packs since 2011 and Windows 7.

There is a content update of Windows 10 every 6 months with the latest being version 2004.

Eh? No... Windows always checks for updates. If you can set metered connections on WiFi to stop update downloads. On ethernet you can not. Only way to stop updates is to disable Windows update or use a 3rd party app to do it. To me it sounds like your installation is partially corrupted or infected with a virus, if you have not done the update disabling.

Sent from my Honor 8X

Win10 only checks for updates when it recognizes an Internet connection. If Win10 has a problem with detecting a network adapter it will not connect to the Internet. However, you can still create a dial-up connection and connect to the Internet. Win10 will not use a dial-up connection to scan for updates, it only uses a network connection. Here is more information on the bug/feature.

Network Adapter Not Detected in Windows 10

Win10 only checks for updates when it recognizes an Internet connection. If Win10 has a problem with detecting a network adapter it will not connect to the Internet. However, you can still create a dial-up connection and connect to the Internet. Win10 will not use a dial-up connection to scan for updates, it only uses a network connection. Here is more information on the bug/feature.

Network Adapter Not Detected in Windows 10
Pretty old problem mostly and I have never encountered it. Got quite a few Realtek chips running on motherboards.

And it's the network it can't find, not the Internet. Quite significant difference.

Sent from my Honor 8X

Pretty old problem mostly and I have never encountered it. Got quite a few Realtek chips running on motherboards.

And it's the network it can't find, not the Internet. Quite significant difference.

Sent from my Honor 8X

That is true, technically it is the network that Win10 is not locating. No network connection, no Internet connection. Because Microsoft is too stupid to know that the Internet can still be connected via DSL directly and doesn't require a network connection.

I can only get DSL in my neck of the woods, and my Win10 does not show an Ethernet connection, but it does show my dail-up Internet connection. Which Win10 will not use to check for updates. I have to update my PC manually. Which I prefer.

Last edited:
That is true, technically it is the network that Win10 is not locating. No network connection, no Internet connection. Because Microsoft is too stupid to know that the Internet can still be connected via DSL directly and doesn't require a network connection.

I can only get DSL in my neck of the woods, and my Win10 does not show an Ethernet connection, but it does show my dail-up Internet connection. Which Win10 will not use to check for updates. I have to update my PC manually. Which I prefer.
Actually it does know. DSL or as we call it ADSL is/was common in Europe before fiber, and depending on the DSL router and how the connection was set up in Windows, you can/could set it as a metered connection, because it thinks it is dial up (technically speaking). It is however not exactly standard to say the least [emoji41], but it aint a bug. I have removed quite a few of these connection types over the years going back to Windows 95 mostly due to customer confusion when moving the laptop to a new location.

Sent from my Honor 8X

Actually it does know. DSL or as we call it ADSL is/was common in Europe before fiber, and depending on the DSL router and how the connection was set up in Windows, you can/could set it as a metered connection, because it thinks it is dial up (technically speaking). It is however not exactly standard to say the least [emoji41], but it aint a bug. I have removed quite a few of these connection types over the years going back to Windows 95 mostly due to customer confusion when moving the laptop to a new location.

Sent from my Honor 8X

I have a property is a rural community that has a Verizon DSL connection (~2 Mbps), that will shortly be replaced by fiber. It's been terrible service with intermittent losses.

My problem with Win10 2004 has been that my Win10 Pro desktop can't up date without the computer shutting off completely during the process. My Win10 Home laptop updated without a problem.

I have a property is a rural community that has a Verizon DSL connection (~2 Mbps), that will shortly be replaced by fiber. It's been terrible service with intermittent losses.

My problem with Win10 2004 has been that my Win10 Pro desktop can't up date without the computer shutting off completely during the process. My Win10 Home laptop updated without a problem.

Odd.. normally with these feature updates it does have to restart at least once. Why your Win10 Home did not, well that is odd, because mine did.

Back
Top Bottom