• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Windows 10, the verdict

Smeagol

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I'm not one to resist change just because its different but I freaking hate what Microsoft has done since Windows 8. I've even pretty much decided to regrettably switch to Apple for my next computer. However, I do have some reservations, particularity compatibility concerns with existing Windows platform files I might need to access and work related networking into Windows computers.

I have not upgraded to 10 but does anyone have insights to offer? I do not like their tablet interface they're forcing on their customers and just want the traditional start button, the minimize, resize and exit buttons in the top right corners of window; the start button; and the familiar file management scheme where you can access the c: and other drives, create and manage folders, etc.

windows.jpg

Windows 10 is much more like older versions than Windows 8. Far easier to use, IMHO.

I have no issues with Windows 10.

Windows 10 is a rather large improvement over Windows 8. It actually works how Windows should work, you can completely disable all that stupid tablet interface and never have to see it again. Also the start menu is back.

Yep, hated that tablet interface even on my touchscreen, it just got in the way..

Other than having to find and install some of my own drivers and dealing with missing network protocols, win 10 has been great..

I'm not one to resist change just because its different but I freaking hate what Microsoft has done since Windows 8. I've even pretty much decided to regrettably switch to Apple for my next computer. However, I do have some reservations, particularity compatibility concerns with existing Windows platform files I might need to access and work related networking into Windows computers.

I have not upgraded to 10 but does anyone have insights to offer? I do not like their tablet interface they're forcing on their customers and just want the traditional start button, the minimize, resize and exit buttons in the top right corners of window; the start button; and the familiar file management scheme where you can access the c: and other drives, create and manage folders, etc.

View attachment 67201403

Windows 10 falls between 8 and 7 in terms of user friendliness. Closer to 8, but still a huge improvement from the abortion that windows 8 was. It is worth getting over 7(or earlier) for the major improvements in speed however.

Windows 10 is a rather large improvement over Windows 8. It actually works how Windows should work, you can completely disable all that stupid tablet interface and never have to see it again. Also the start menu is back.

You can do that on 8 too

You can do that on 8 too

The stupid Metro interface always lurked in the background and if you needed to change anything like on the control panel it would always open in the Metro interface but in 10 you get rid of it completely. Windows 8 required a program for the start menu, in Windows 10 it comes in the box.

View attachment 67201403

I have windows 7, 10 and an Apple MacBook Pro - I bypassed 8 completely on my computers but I think Windows 8 works great on my mobile phone. It really makes sense as a mobile interface.

Win 10 does have better security and is faster in some regards than 7 and it's also a lot smaller on your hard drive. If you're transferring over to a Mac, there will be some things you will hate -
  1. Apple machines don't by default save with a file extension letters so if you create and save a picture file as a .jpg and then try to open it on a PC, it won't be recognised. This applies to pretty much all applications that work on both OS systems.
  2. Uninstalling - you simply drag the application to the trash bin and delete - no uninstall process in control panels or in the start menu like in Windows 10/
  3. Window resize, minimise and close buttons are little red, green and amber buttons on the left of the screen.
  4. Application Dock can pop up and irritate - especially when you go fullscreen watching a movie.
  5. Tablet trackpad - uses gestures (though I see this on my Windows 10 laptop too) and they can take a while to get used to.
  6. Scrolling bars on the bottom or side of your window have to be set to "on" in your system preferences. You could end up smashing your Mac when the bars disappear after 2 seconds.

There will be things you like, like not having to worry about file extensions and that the software has always worked out what application opens which file but I don't want to get into a PC vs Mac thing here.

One thing I am finding so much better though is that flash based websites which slow down my windows laptop or force me to install pop-up blockers etc into the browser just don't slow down my Mac. (Mainly because Apple dropped support for Flash years ago). It's come to the point where I only use my MacBook for browsing some content heavy websites that would slow down my Windows 10 machines.

As for Windows 10, I like it and like using it. I've always had to use both OSes so I never get into the whole PC vs Mac thing.

There is no reason to switch to Apple for your next computer. Apple machines are more expensive for one. The OS is at best stale and at worst outdated on so many fronts. I use OSX once in a while and it is an absolutely frustrating operating system. Having to force close apps/programs constantly because the all mighty Steve Jobs and Co deem my clients too stupid to understand that closing an app/program might cause them to lose date or that they are connected to the internet .. the amount of excuses I have seen for not doing as I demand on OSX is very long. Never had this problem with Windows or even Linux.

Now as for compatibility. My experience is that Windows 10 is far far more compatible than Windows 7 was. Case in point, I had a client who I back in the day upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7. His printer and scanner were expensive when he bought them a decade ago, and he is reluctant to replace them. It took days of communication with Cannon to get them to help me hack the XP/Vista drivers to work on Windows 7. Their first comment was.. buy new stuff. Well this client said 2 weeks ago that he was thinking of upgrading to Windows 10. I told him, go for it. You can always go back to Windows 7. He was worried of course about his decade+ old printer and scanner not working, but he did it anyways. What happened? Windows 10 found the printer and scanner easily, installed the relevant drivers that would work and that was that. He was shocked considering the crap we had to go through with Windows 7.

The only incompatibility issue I have had in 40+ Windows 10 installations was on a 7 year old Medion laptop (German make, biggest in Europe last I heard). Now Medion is know for never supporting their stuff more than a year, so I was worried. Everything worked, except the graphics card. Why? Because ATI/AMD had not made a Windows 10 driver for this graphics card version in the laptop. I was.. wtf? It is only 7 years old, until I realized that to save money, Medion had used a 10 year old mobile graphics card in the machine..well cant really blame Windows for that problem. Even though the machine works fine with default drivers, but sadly only in 1024 x 640 resolution (for now... need to hack it to increase that).

I have not upgraded to 10 but does anyone have insights to offer?

Plenty. Been running it for almost 2 years now. Done 40+ upgrades, with 2 problematic ones. These were due to anti-virus software (Avast in both cases) preventing parts of the upgrade. I recommend uninstalling all anti-virus software before doing an upgrade just to be safe. Oh there was also one that failed because of a faulty AMD/ATI graphics driver installed.. updating that, and everything went fine after that.

I do not like their tablet interface they're forcing on their customers

Eh? If you are running a non-tablet computer then there is no forcing... Windows 10 has two interfaces. Both can be enabled or disabled, but default depends on your set up. Take the Surface Pro 4 or Surface book. If the keyboard is connected then it asks if you want to switch to desktop mode. If the keyboard is disconnected then it asks you if you want to go to tablet mode.

and just want the traditional start button,

Yes and Windows 10 has it...looks different.. but it is the same button.

the minimize, resize and exit buttons in the top right corners of window;

Everything in Windows 10 has that.. unlike Apple I might add.. now there is a mess of an operating system when it comes to that function.

the start button

Well it does not say START anymore.. not done that since before Windows XP. But the button it self is still there, and now even more customizable. It is actually useful now!

; and the familiar file management scheme where you can access the c: and other drives, create and manage folders, etc.

Has not changed. It has improved though. Search on Windows 10 is much improved over Windows 7. Yes some icons have changed and it is now the ribbon system (but to be fair thats been around for a long time), but the functionality dating back to Windows 95 is still there. Now if you were going to change to Apple.. good luck on that.. Finder is absolute ****. Dont believe me? Google it..

View attachment 67201403

I, like you, had been very reluctant to upgrade to Win10 (from Win7) but having made the switch a week or so ago I can say it was not as painful as I had anticipated. Once you get rid of that awful metro interface it is pretty similar to Win7 in many aspects.

I would suggest a clean install instead of a upgrade install. Upgrade installs can have some very unfortunate problems some of which I encountered and I had to format and go with a clean install anyway.

Performed the free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro a month or two back, and glad that I did. Most of the time it's behaving like you'd figure it should.

Previous to this I was running Windows XP, I didn't move to 7 because there were some old apps I still needed to run, and they wouldn't run in Windows 7. With Windows 10, I created an XP VM, and run them there.

It's really nice to be able to use the 8 GB RAM that I've got in the machine, rather than to be capped out at 3 GB (moving from XP 32 bit to W10 64 bit). Yeah, Windows 10 is a bit slower, but then the motherboard is at least 2 generations old but was pretty close to top end then, and supplemented with SSD drives in both cases.

windows 10 is crap, spent an hour and a half with HP IT to finally get my 3 in 1 to print

I would suggest a clean install instead of a upgrade install. Upgrade installs can have some very unfortunate problems some of which I encountered and I had to format and go with a clean install anyway.

Windows 10 has a built in "Reset this PC" function that reinstalls Windows 10. It works great. No need for the old discs and formatting and all that crap :)

Upgrading works for the most part. If there starts to be problems it is usually related to out-dated 3rd party programs/apps and drivers. A reset usually fixes that, as those apps/programs are removed and you have to reinstall the newest version which is most likely 100% compatible with Windows 10.

But lets be fair.. this is stuff that happens with any operating system and is not exclusive with Windows.

I have resisted Win 10 defiantly. Win 7 works fine for me and I see no reason to change. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Having said that, Win 10 was forced on me a work (upgrade from Win 7), and... it seems fine. I've had only a couple minor glitches, and so far they have been easily resolvable. I am now considering upgrading at home.

I only have desktops and laptops, no tablets.

Windows 10 has a built in "Reset this PC" function that reinstalls Windows 10. It works great. No need for the old discs and formatting and all that crap :)

Upgrading works for the most part. If there starts to be problems it is usually related to out-dated 3rd party programs/apps and drivers. A reset usually fixes that, as those apps/programs are removed and you have to reinstall the newest version which is most likely 100% compatible with Windows 10.

But lets be fair.. this is stuff that happens with any operating system and is not exclusive with Windows.
At I noticed that CCleaner was gone, so I had to go hunt down the new version and it now works fine.

View attachment 67201403

Tablet interface??

Unless you have installed Win10 on a tablet, you won't see a tablet interface (unless you want it). On a desktop, a laptop or a tablet (again, if you want it) you'll see a desktop interface almost exactly like Win7 including a Start Button and Menu, minimize/resize/exit buttons at top right corner of windows and good old Windows Explorer for all your drive/folder/file access.

If you liked Win7, you'll love Win10.

Oh...and with Win10 you get Cortana. She is very cool and VERY useful.

Last edited:
Tablet interface??

Unless you have installed Win10 on a tablet, you won't see a tablet interface (unless you want it). On a desktop, a laptop or a tablet (again, if you want it) you'll see a desktop interface almost exactly like Win7 including a Start Button and Menu, minimize/resize/exit buttons at top right corner of windows and good old Windows Explorer for all your drive/folder/file access.

If you liked Win7, you'll love Win10.

Oh...and with Win10 you get Cortana. She is very cool and VERY useful.
See, I have read many people say they hate Cortana. (In the interest of full honesty, I don't even know what it is, so I'm just saying what I have read others say.)

See, I have read many people say they hate Cortana. (In the interest of full honesty, I don't even know what it is, so I'm just saying what I have read others say.)

It is Siri for Windows, you do not have to use it.

Cortana is essentially Microsoft's response to how popular Apple's Siri is. You ask it questions and it answers based on web results same as Siri. Tell it to make an appointment in your calendar and it makes the appointment, tell it to play a song and it will. Etc etc etc. I have no problems using it. I upgraded to win 10 the moment I had a chance to and the only problem I had with Win 10 is with the networking protocols missing, just did a fresh re-install and problem solved. Haven't had that problem since. Haven't had ANY problems since.

As for going to Apple, :shrug: I like Apple just fine. Just got to mainly remember that everything on Apple is backwards from Windows as far as opening/closing web pages goes and a few other minor things. It's also a bit easier to find files on Apple computers imo. Biggest problem I have with Apple computers is that they're expensive and upgrading them hardware wise is a real PIA.

I have a headset plugged into my desktop. I plug the earphones part in or out depending on whether I want to use the headphones or the desktop speakers. But the mic plug stays connected all the time so all I have to do is say, "Hey, Cortana" and she's ready for whatever I have to say. One thing I like to use her for is internet searches. She used to show results in my default browser, Opera, but that's changed in a recent update. Now she only responds in Edge. That's unfortunate, but still useful.

One more nice thing is...I have the Cortana app on my android phone. So let's say I set a reminder on my desktop and then walk away from it. When the time comes, the reminder activates on my phone as well as my desktop. I can do the same sort of thing on my phone and get the reminders or what-not on my desktop as well.

Windows 8 sucked.
The only problem I've had with 10 is that, after some of my files were hacked, I tried to reset the password used to open windows. I could not, posted a question on a Windows 10 forum, still can't change the password.

I suppose it doesn't matter, as I haven't been hacked again, but it would seem it should be possible to reset the password.

Performed the free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro a month or two back, and glad that I did. Most of the time it's behaving like you'd figure it should.

Previous to this I was running Windows XP, I didn't move to 7 because there were some old apps I still needed to run, and they wouldn't run in Windows 7. With Windows 10, I created an XP VM, and run them there.

It's really nice to be able to use the 8 GB RAM that I've got in the machine, rather than to be capped out at 3 GB (moving from XP 32 bit to W10 64 bit). Yeah, Windows 10 is a bit slower, but then the motherboard is at least 2 generations old but was pretty close to top end then, and supplemented with SSD drives in both cases.

You could of upgraded to the 64 bit version of any of those though.

I'm sticking with windows 7 64bit until I'm forced to upgrade. and the only reason I can think of that that would happen would be an application requiring direct x 12. Microsoft made direct x 12 only work with Windows 10 so eventually this will happen but for the time being no need.

One thing might be useful for people -

Windows 10 vs. Windows 8.1 vs. Windows 7 Performance > Application Performance - TechSpot

in a comparison between win 7 , 8 and 10 win 10 performs better with most casual things like browsing ( however if you use the EDGE browser that goes out the window as edge is slow as hell )
8 performs better with things like graphics encoding and 7 performs best with physix functionality.

So it depends on what you do.

You can disable all that tablet stuff on Win8 also, you always could.
And I HAVE a start button, freeware add on that works perfectly.

Apple makes GREAT gear but switching to Apple in a fit of pique STILL guarantees that you will be trading Windows problems for Apple problems because in the end, it is still a computer.

You could of upgraded to the 64 bit version of any of those though.

I'm sticking with windows 7 64bit until I'm forced to upgrade. and the only reason I can think of that that would happen would be an application requiring direct x 12. Microsoft made direct x 12 only work with Windows 10 so eventually this will happen but for the time being no need.

One thing might be useful for people -

Windows 10 vs. Windows 8.1 vs. Windows 7 Performance > Application Performance - TechSpot

in a comparison between win 7 , 8 and 10 win 10 performs better with most casual things like browsing ( however if you use the EDGE browser that goes out the window as edge is slow as hell )
8 performs better with things like graphics encoding and 7 performs best with physix functionality.

So it depends on what you do.

Fair. I could have, but it's time to upgrade to Windows 10. It's the next really good MS OS release, at least they are putting a bunch of effort into it, and believe that it's going to be a smooth upgrade in place for the Windows 7 / 8 users. So far so good. Haven't had any problems in these upgrades going South.

Back
Top Bottom