• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Mycroft

Genius is where you find it.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Well, by now I'm sure anybody who wanted Win10 has gotten it before Jul 29th. If not, well...so it goes.

For those who already had Win10 or who got it at the last minute, it's time to get the Windows 10 Anniversary Update installed. It has some very nice improvements and it's easy to implement...at least it was for me. I updated two of my devices: My desktop and my HP Stream 7 tablet. I didn't do anything special to get the update...I went through Settings>Updates and it worked great.

But that's just the beginning. There's more you can do if you want to customize your Windows experience after the update. Here are some links that will help.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/...niversary-update-0#slide-0-field_images-76881

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/...anniversary-update#slide-0-field_images-76911

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/...riodic-scanning-windows-10-anniversary-update

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/...anniversary-update#slide-0-field_images-76891

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/...ustomizations-here#slide-0-field_images-76851

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/...anniversary-update#slide-0-field_images-76831

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/video-windows-10-anniversary-update-walkthrough

And this one for those who are STILL not sure if they even want the OS.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/...-period-10-days-windows-10-anniversary-update

I'll have to check it out. I was skeptical of 10 at launch but it's light years better than 8.

It's my understanding that you can still upgrade to Win 10 for free....you just won't get the DVD media enhancer or something like that.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I remembered about two hours after the deadline...and then found that Win 7 could still be upgraded for free. Unfortunately, Win 7 has been misbehaving and I think I may have to get more RAM to download it or figure out how to do virtual memory...or move memory from a partition. Neither of which I know how to do. Maybe I'll just buy a new computer, instead.

Last edited:
It's my understanding that you can still upgrade to Win 10 for free....you just won't get the DVD media enhancer or something like that.

I remembered about two hours after the deadline...and then found that Win 7 could still be upgraded for free. Unfortunately, Win 7 has been misbehaving and I think I may have to get more RAM to download it or figure out how to do virtual memory...or move memory from a partition. Neither of which I know how to do. Maybe I'll just buy a new computer, instead.

MS got rid of Windows media...as a part of the OS...some time ago. I haven't heard anything about getting Win10 for free after July 29th, but that link you gave specifically says you have to buy it.

Using the tool to upgrade this PC to Windows 10 (click to show more or less information)

Here’s when to use these instructions:

You bought Windows 10 and are upgrading this PC from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.

You need to reinstall Windows 10 on a PC you've already successfully activated Windows 10.

Not knowing anything about your computer or how much RAM you have, I cannot comment except to say that my HP Stream 7 tablet has 1GB of RAM. It had Win8.1 when I bought it and I upgraded to Win10 and this Windows Anniversary Upgrade...all with no problems...and it works great. (well, as great as it's little CPU allows) Your mentioning of a "partition" leads me to think you might be talking about disk space...different thing than RAM.

My suggestion would be to contact a local computer repair/supply store. Most towns have them. At a minimum, they'll ask you a few questions...maybe ask you to bring it in...and give you some options. Plus, you'll be supporting your local economy. Or...if all else fails, buying another computer might be the best thing. You'll get Win10 with it and it'll probably operate better than your old machine.

Myself...I would do the examination and any repair/upgrade work myself but I recognize that not everyone is as comfortable doing that stuff as I am.

Talk to somebody who knows computers.

So far..

1) Updated on 3 personal PCs.. all went smoothly. Quite the easy and painless update.. had feared much worse. Upgrades of OS have a very bad rap, and it is often deserved. So far no problems, but I suspect I will at least on this PC (main/gaming PC) will do a full reset soon just for the hell of it... plus having some annoying issues with Google Chrome and Diablo 3... grr.

2) Small things like the animation when going to login screen.... it is just smooth and cool.

3) The settings environment and menus. It has expanded but also been cleaned up. So much easier to find things now... and it was already pretty easy. It is almost as they hired a consumer to help with the design. Now if Apple and Google could do something similar, then maybe I would not swear so much when I service those devices..

4) Improved Windows Defender.. the icon is BACK and it is actually good looking and logical.. go figure. And there is added security features. As of now, Microsoft is pretty much killing the anti-virus security companies if they continue down this path. yes the big guys are on paper more secure, but also have problems of their own.. /wave Symantic. But for out of the box security... Microsoft has done an amazing job with Windows 10. I run once a week a security scan and so far I have found 0 spyware, 0 malware and 1 virus (false positive) .. and lets just say, I dont avoid the seedy underbelly of the internet.. :)

Things that I hated out of the box.. the new new start menu. I dont use it much in the first place, but I could not understand why they made it as it is in the Anniversary update. After using it, I understand. It does make it easier for the average consumer, who dont understand the "all apps" or "All programs" button... yes that goes back to Windows XP. But other than that, it is a meh for me personally.

The notifications centre change.. I like they moved it on the other side of the clock, but still not use to the changes in it. But saying that, the improved customization is a plus. Wish they would make the minimize all button in the lower right hand corner bigger.. just so most people could see it.

Not tested INK.. since no touch screen / tablet... no one wants to buy me one and my laptops keep going even though there are 3 years plus old.. damn Sony and Acer machines!

Oh and Edge...now that is something that is still under testing here. I am a Chrome fan and I use Google Chromecast.. so cant 100% get rid of Chrome since Microsoft blocked Chromecast during beta.. yes you use to be able to cast directly from Edge to Chromecast.. cant anymore... But I am liking so far what I am seeing in Edge with extensions. I especially like the much easier ability to share stuff via social media and mail.. yea it is a minor thing, but pretty cool. I think if I had a touch screen device then I would use it way more. Also not done full test on the claim that Edge saves battery on a laptop. There is only 24 hours in a day!!

I'll have to check it out. I was skeptical of 10 at launch but it's light years better than 8.

Leprosy is light years better than Windows 8.

I had no problem with the upgrade, though it took forever. It turned Cortana back on, and I was not able to turn it back off that I found quickly, but did manage to hide it. My internet settings where messed up afterwords, but got that fixed without too much difficulty. Computer is a bit slower since the update, no idea why. Start menu was not how I had it, but was not hard to get back to how I want it.

Leprosy is light years better than Windows 8.

I had no problem with the upgrade, though it took forever. It turned Cortana back on, and I was not able to turn it back off that I found quickly, but did manage to hide it. My internet settings where messed up afterwords, but got that fixed without too much difficulty. Computer is a bit slower since the update, no idea why. Start menu was not how I had it, but was not hard to get back to how I want it.

That is interesting as my main PC (this one) sped up a tad (noticeable) but my Sony Vaio slowed down a tad (noticeable), where as my Acer laptop is the same. It is strange, as the Sony has a PCI SSD, so should be mega faster than my SATA SSD in the gaming machine. Ironically the Acer has an old OCZ SSD in it, and is fine.. But might just nuke both and reinstall to see if that helps... might be a 3rd party thing. The Sony does have a VPN program installed.. hmm maybe it is that.

They can try to pry Windows 7 from my cold, dead hands.

I like windows 10, it is fast, reliable etc. But I did not get the initial release, after numerous horror stories of crashing, which was mostly driver related. After I waited for the initial release smoke to clear I upgraded and it is pretty good, it follows the windows trend of every other os being good with the inbetweens being horrible.

Only one glitch in the update, sometimes on boot, my machine blue screens, its because my 2 memory sticks are at different speeds, something I'll fix, someday, had to re-install, no worries.

But, it works well, no complaints.

I'm sticking with server 2008 (I use for a desktop OS). Probably my last MS OS. I'm not at all interested in using my desktop as a tablet. The metro crap is useless and even turning it off doesn't restore the desktop functionality that was once there (and customizable). Windows 10 is just warmed over Apple copy in crap form.

I'm sticking with server 2008 (I use for a desktop OS). Probably my last MS OS. I'm not at all interested in using my desktop as a tablet. The metro crap is useless and even turning it off doesn't restore the desktop functionality that was once there (and customizable). Windows 10 is just warmed over Apple copy in crap form.

Ummm...

That "metro crap" disappeared when Win10 was released. Even with Win8 and Win8.1, desktop functionality never changed.

To each his own, of course, but before complaining one should know what they are talking about.

I like windows 10, it is fast, reliable etc. But I did not get the initial release, after numerous horror stories of crashing, which was mostly driver related. After I waited for the initial release smoke to clear I upgraded and it is pretty good, it follows the windows trend of every other os being good with the inbetweens being horrible.
Been using Win 10 at work for a few months and it's been fine.

Been using Win 10 at home for about 2-3 weeks and it's been fine, except it boots and/or wakes up veeeerrrrry slow. Once it gets going, it's fine, just takes a long time to get going.

So, yeah, 10 is ok. Not heads and shoulders above 7, though. If I knew then what I know now, and if I weren't artificially pushed into updating, I'd not have upgraded.

Ummm...

That "metro crap" disappeared when Win10 was released. Even with Win8 and Win8.1, desktop functionality never changed.

To each his own, of course, but before complaining one should know what they are talking about.

Bull****. It's still there. You can hide it now but the desktop is not the same nor does it function the same as pre-win8. The raping of user customization began with win7, neared completion in win8 and now has finalized in win10. All the things I've hated about the Apple OS, MS took those and rolled them into win8 and above.

I don't want my desktop machine to be a phone, not at all interested in it being a laptop or a tablet. They've completely neutered the file system, and libraries? Just another way to obfuscate the FS.

Thank God for Linux.

Bull****. It's still there. You can hide it now but the desktop is not the same nor does it function the same as pre-win8. The raping of user customization began with win7, neared completion in win8 and now has finalized in win10. All the things I've hated about the Apple OS, MS took those and rolled them into win8 and above.

I don't want my desktop machine to be a phone, not at all interested in it being a laptop or a tablet. They've completely neutered the file system, and libraries? Just another way to obfuscate the FS.

Thank God for Linux.

Really...take my word for it...there is no metro screen. It's gone. And the desktop that everyone knew and loved in Win7 is still there. It was there in Win8, Win8.1 and now in Win10. The Start Button that everyone cried about when MS removed it in Win8 is back in Win10.

The only real difference between Win7 and Win10 is that Win10 is better, faster and more secure.

Now...I can understand some people preferring XP over progress...some people preferring Linux over any other OS...but that preference doesn't give you credible license to tell lies...whether purposely or based out of ignorance...about other OS's.

In any case, this thread isn't about whether Win10 is good or not, in your opinion. Win10 is a fact and this thread moves one to the Windows Anniversary Update. I won't respond to any more criticism of Win10 because they are useless.

Been using Win 10 at work for a few months and it's been fine.

Been using Win 10 at home for about 2-3 weeks and it's been fine, except it boots and/or wakes up veeeerrrrry slow. Once it gets going, it's fine, just takes a long time to get going.

So, yeah, 10 is ok. Not heads and shoulders above 7, though. If I knew then what I know now, and if I weren't artificially pushed into updating, I'd not have upgraded.

The thing is, if you sped up 7, it would be superior to 10 in most every way.

Eh? The desktop functionality has not changed and it is actually MORE customizable now than it was under Windows 7/Server 2008. Have you even tried Windows 10? The "metro crap" is highly limited and in fact enhances the start menu greatly... that is if you use the start menu.

Thank God for Linux.

Ahh that explains your views greatly and the fact you most likely have not used Windows 10.. at least from your comments it surely seems so.

The thing is, if you sped up 7, it would be superior to 10 in most every way.

How would 7 be better than 10? Could you come with some examples, as I am seriously interested in that view. Been a Windows user for decades and in no way could I go back to Windows 7 after trying Windows 10.. so what in your view makes 7 superior to 10?

I was able to successfully update my laptop with the anniversary update. It came with 10 already installed.

I tried to update my wife's laptop which had 8.1 when purchased and I had already upgraded to 10 when it became available.

When I tried to update hers to the anniversary update, I get a message saying the update failed due to what appears to be a space problem with the reserved partition.

Frustrated.

How would 7 be better than 10? Could you come with some examples, as I am seriously interested in that view. Been a Windows user for decades and in no way could I go back to Windows 7 after trying Windows 10.. so what in your view makes 7 superior to 10?
My Win 10 experience is limited, and like I said before it's fine, but so far I have yet to see anything in 10 that made me think, "OMG, how did I ever live without this?"

Eh? The desktop functionality has not changed and it is actually MORE customizable now than it was under Windows 7/Server 2008. Have you even tried Windows 10? The "metro crap" is highly limited and in fact enhances the start menu greatly... that is if you use the start menu.

Yes, I have. That's why I'm commenting. And again, bull****. The desktop is NOT more customizable now, nor are many of the OS elements. The Start Menu is NOT the same as it always has been. They started that crap off in Vista. But at least you could go with classic Start Menu. In win7 you had to use a third party app to get the classic Start Menu back. And no, the Start Menu is not enhanced in any way, in fact MS had it on it's way out and it only still exists because of customer complaints.

Yes, I have. That's why I'm commenting. And again, bull****. The desktop is NOT more customizable now, nor are many of the OS elements. The Start Menu is NOT the same as it always has been. They started that crap off in Vista. But at least you could go with classic Start Menu. In win7 you had to use a third party app to get the classic Start Menu back. And no, the Start Menu is not enhanced in any way, in fact MS had it on it's way out and it only still exists because of customer complaints.

Wait.. so you want the old XP style start menu, where you could not customize anything? Seriously?

Back
Top Bottom