• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Wind and solar power are ‘bailing out’ Texas amid record heat and energy demand

For all the usual haters of renewables....

Texans are cranking on the air conditioning this week amid an unusually early heat wave, setting new records for electricity demand in the state, which surpassed 75 gigawatts on Sunday and smashed the 2019 record. Texas grid operator ERCOT projects it could approach that peak again on Tuesday.
But unlike previous extreme weather events in Texas which led to deadly blackouts, the grid is holding up remarkably well this week. Several experts told CNN that it’s owed in large part to strong performances from wind and solar, which generated 27 gigawatts of electricity during Sunday’s peak demand – close to 40% of the total needed. “Texas is, by rhetoric, anti-renewables. But frankly, renewables are bailing us out,” said Michael Webber, an energy expert and professor at the University of Texas at Austin. “They’re rocking. That really spares us a lot of heartache and a lot of money.” Despite the Texas Republican rhetoric that wind and solar are unreliable, Texas has a massive and growing fleet of renewables. Zero-carbon electricity sources (wind, solar, and nuclear) powered about 38% of the state’s power in 2021, rivaling natural gas at 42%.
This is a relatively recent phenomenon for the state.
“Wind and solar would not have been available in years in the past, so the growing capacity helps to alleviate reliance on natural gas and coal,” said Jonathan DeVilbiss, operations research analyst at the US Energy Information Administration.

Thankfully, Texas is one of the few parts of the country which has land that is good for both solar panels and wind farms.

I had a quick thunderstorm roll through NE-Ohio about 9:30-10:00pm. Now its cooler (75°) but its about 95% humidity. UGH! I'm sure that the corn and soybeans love it,. The winter wheat has been harvested already. The constant humidity makes a dehumidifier necessary, especially in my basement or it would be covered with mold. It generates about 5 gallons of water a day.
In a strange way I almost miss those short-lived, but extremely violent thunderstorms in the mid-west when I lived in Nebraska. In Alaska (south of the Alaskan range) we only get thunderstorms occasionally when temperatures get 80°F or above. So we might see a small thunderstorm once every 3 to 5 years. The interior of Alaska gets much warmer than the coastal areas, so they see thunderstorms much more often than I. In the 30-years I have lived in south-central Alaska there has been only one brief hail storm, and the hail-stones never got any larger than pea-size.

The humidity is tolerable when the temperatures are below 80°F. I remember when I attended the University of Minnesota, living in St. Paul, it would get up to 90°F around August and have 90% humidity. It was those summer nights when you went to sleep in only a sheet and you wake up the next morning to find that you are drenched in sweat and in need of another shower. I truly hated that.

Thankfully, I have much better climate conditions in my neck of the woods in Alaska. Unfortunately, now I have to deal with thousands of earthquakes every year and a couple of nearby active volcanoes. If it isn't one thing, then it is always something else. :rolleyes:

If Electric vehicles win, why are they not used in Alaska?

Alaska, which is 2.5 times bigger than Texas (3 times bigger at low tide), has a grand total of ONE charging station in the entire State.

Electric vehicles will never be popular in northern States because they can't handle the cold. Lithium-ion batteries need to stay between -20°C (-4°F) and 60°C (140°F) or they lose their charge. Furthermore, lithium-ion batteries subjected to those temperature extremes will become ineffective after 9 to 12 months. Lastly, they don't have the range to go anywhere more than a few miles before requiring a coal power-plant to recharge them.

Electric vehicles actually pollute more than vehicles with internal combustion engines when you factor in their recharging source. Nobody would be buying Electric Vehicles at all if not for the heavy subsidy that government places on them to barely make them affordable. It is a bad investment.
You are quite wrong about charging stations in Alaska, it took me less than a minute to disprove that.

From October of last year:

Alaska has 68 EV charging stations

One of the large barriers to adoption is building out an EV charging network that can support EV trips across the state. Currently, Alaska has 68 charging stations in Alaska with 6 of those being fast chargers (DCFC). Many of these stations are located in Juneau, a leader in EV adoption in Alaska due to their slightly warmer temperatures and short roadways.

This site says there are 12 stations in Anchorage.

And in Fairbanks there is one. Seward has one.

15 in Juneau

Homer has 3, so does Palmer and Wasila

In a strange way I almost miss those short-lived, but extremely violent thunderstorms in the mid-west when I lived in Nebraska. In Alaska (south of the Alaskan range) we only get thunderstorms occasionally when temperatures get 80°F or above. So we might see a small thunderstorm once every 3 to 5 years. The interior of Alaska gets much warmer than the coastal areas, so they see thunderstorms much more often than I. In the 30-years I have lived in south-central Alaska there has been only one brief hail storm, and the hail-stones never got any larger than pea-size.
This storm lasted maybe a few minutes except for the lingering light drizzle. It started to get windy abiout 8:30p and the rain began about an hour later. I'm not sure how much the rain gauge has in it.
The humidity is tolerable when the temperatures are below 80°F. I remember when I attended the University of Minnesota, living in St. Paul, it would get up to 90°F around August and have 90% humidity. It was those summer nights when you went to sleep in only a sheet and you wake up the next morning to find that you are drenched in sweat and in need of another shower. I truly hated that.
I've had 2 showers today. One when I got up, One before my 4:15p hair appointment and I could take another before I go to bed because I'm sweaty now, even in just a top and skirt. For most of the year I sleep in just a sheet.
Thankfully, I have much better climate conditions in my neck of the woods in Alaska. Unfortunately, now I have to deal with thousands of earthquakes every year and a couple of nearby active volcanoes. If it isn't one thing, then it is always something else. :rolleyes:
We have blizzards, tornadoes, the occasional flood for many in low lying areas and then tornadoes again in the fall. I like the climatic variety and the green space. Earthquakes are very minor (under 4 reciter) and very rare.

You are quite wrong about charging stations in Alaska, it took me less than a minute to disprove that.

From October of last year:

Alaska has 68 EV charging stations

One of the large barriers to adoption is building out an EV charging network that can support EV trips across the state. Currently, Alaska has 68 charging stations in Alaska with 6 of those being fast chargers (DCFC). Many of these stations are located in Juneau, a leader in EV adoption in Alaska due to their slightly warmer temperatures and short roadways.

This site says there are 12 stations in Anchorage.

And in Fairbanks there is one. Seward has one.

15 in Juneau

Homer has 3, so does Palmer and Wasila
Consider the source. The only EV charging station in actual operation is the one in Seward. All the others are "planned" but not in operation, and they never will be, because only an idiot buys an Electric Vehicle and Alaskans are not idiots.

Consider the source. The only EV charging station in actual operation is the one in Seward. All the others are "planned" but not in operation, and they never will be, because only an idiot buys an Electric Vehicle and Alaskans are not idiots.
Consider that you are wrong.

Click the links, they tell you the data about each charging station, and when it was last confirmed. They are built.

And its hilarious that you say that only an idiot buys an EV.

And then you say that Alaskans are not idiots.........two words: Sarah Palin

You are wrong, you need to go drive to the big city and update your biases.

BTW, Tesla has a supercharger in Soldotna, its on Tesla's own website.

This storm lasted maybe a few minutes except for the lingering light drizzle. It started to get windy abiout 8:30p and the rain began about an hour later. I'm not sure how much the rain gauge has in it.

I've had 2 showers today. One when I got up, One before my 4:15p hair appointment and I could take another before I go to bed because I'm sweaty now, even in just a top and skirt. For most of the year I sleep in just a sheet.

We have blizzards, tornadoes, the occasional flood for many in low lying areas and then tornadoes again in the fall. I like the climatic variety and the green space. Earthquakes are very minor (under 4 reciter) and very rare.
I will gladly experience large earthquakes over tornadoes. I hated hiding out in the basement, never knowing where or when the tornado will hit. You could tell when one was close because it would suddenly stop raining, get really calm, and the pressure will suddenly drop causing your ears to pop. That is when you want to be someplace underground, quickly. I will never live where tornadoes and hurricanes are common again. That is just too much for me.

Earthquakes don't last as long, and since they come without warning there is nothing you can do to prepare for them. You construct your home as earthquake-resistant as possible, and hope for the best. I had my home built in 2003, and in November 2018 I experienced a 7.1 magnitude quake with the epicenter just two miles from my home. It was over in under 15 seconds. Other than having to pick up lots of stuff from the floor, I suffered no structural damage. As long as there are no injures or damage, I actually enjoy earthquakes. You can't live in Alaska and not like earthquakes considering that we average 50,000 per year, with at least a magnitude 5.0 once per month at a minimum. It becomes almost a contest. You go to work the next day and compare notes to see who felt the earthquake and who didn't.

Consider that you are wrong.

Click the links, they tell you the data about each charging station, and when it was last confirmed. They are built.

And its hilarious that you say that only an idiot buys an EV.

And then you say that Alaskans are not idiots.........two words: Sarah Palin

You are wrong, you need to go drive to the big city and update your biases.

BTW, Tesla has a supercharger in Soldotna, its on Tesla's own website.

Yes, the Tesla EV charging station is the one I was referring. It is the ONLY one in actual operation in Alaska.

You learn something new every day.
If I ever wanted an EV in AK, I would never risk leaving Juneau.

Percentage of Free Stations: 91%

Total Number of Free Stations: 21

Total Number of Charging Stations: 23

You learn something new every day.
If I ever wanted an EV in AK, I would never risk leaving Juneau.
You can't leave Juneau by vehicle. There are no roads.

Percentage of Free Stations: 91%

Total Number of Free Stations: 21

Total Number of Charging Stations: 23

They are citing future "planned" EV charging stations. They have been "planned" for over a decade, yet only one actually exists on the Kenai Peninsula.

I will gladly experience large earthquakes over tornadoes. I hated hiding out in the basement, never knowing where or when the tornado will hit. You could tell when one was close because it would suddenly stop raining, get really calm, and the pressure will suddenly drop causing your ears to pop. That is when you want to be someplace underground, quickly. I will never live where tornadoes and hurricanes are common again. That is just too much for me.

I loved to watch the torandos from my patio and them the porch of my apartment in college. I've seen a couple of tornados when on bike rides, so we had to hide in a ditch or under a bridge. I have never experienced any serious damage. I think they are thrilling to witness.
Earthquakes don't last as long, and since they come without warning there is nothing you can do to prepare for them. You construct your home as earthquake-resistant as possible, and hope for the best. I had my home built in 2003, and in November 2018 I experienced a 7.1 magnitude quake with the epicenter just two miles from my home. It was over in under 15 seconds. Other than having to pick up lots of stuff from the floor, I suffered no structural damage. As long as there are no injures or damage, I actually enjoy earthquakes. You can't live in Alaska and not like earthquakes considering that we average 50,000 per year, with at least a magnitude 5.0 once per month at a minimum. It becomes almost a contest. You go to work the next day and compare notes to see who felt the earthquake and who didn't.

The biggest earthwuake a was in college late 1980s) and I was sound alseep. It was about 4.5. I woke up and wondered "What the Hades" was that because 2 windows broke and stuff fell off the wall.

Yes, the Tesla EV charging station is the one I was referring. It is the ONLY one in actual operation in Alaska.
You said Seward, Tesla site says Soldatna.

You are wrong again.

You need to really think before you make easily disproved claims.

As usual.

I loved to watch the torandos from my patio and them the porch of my apartment in college. I've seen a couple of tornados when on bike rides, so we had to hide in a ditch or under a bridge. I have never experienced any serious damage. I think they are thrilling to witness.
I was fortunate to be in California serving in the military when the 1975 F4 tornado hit Omaha. However, my neighbors home was severely damaged in St. Paul when an F4 tornado hopped over my home and hit theirs in 1964. I have had a number of close calls, but have been lucky enough to avoid taking any serious damage from them. I can deal with any other form of weather system, including blinding and biting blizzards in -50°F temperatures, but tornadoes and hurricanes are more than I can tolerate.

The biggest earthwuake a was in college late 1980s) and I was sound alseep. It was about 4.5. I woke up and wondered "What the Hades" was that because 2 windows broke and stuff fell off the wall.
The biggest earthquake I've experienced was a magnitude 8.2 on July 28, 2021. However, its epicenter was about 400 miles away so I didn't feel it as sharply as closer quakes. It occurred in the Gulf of Alaska, so a tsunami was a serious consideration. Thankfully the resulting tsunami was only 6" tall, and even smaller by the time it reached Hawaii. The Denali earthquake of 2002 was only a magnitude 7.9, but it was much closer (150 miles away) and the ground shook for almost two minutes continuously.

Last edited:
You can't leave Juneau by vehicle. There are no roads.

They are citing future "planned" EV charging stations. They have been "planned" for over a decade, yet only one actually exists on the Kenai Peninsula.
I'll take your word for it. I've finished doing research on this.

I don't know anyone who "hates" renewable energy. What people "hate" is the abject stupidity of relying on alternative energy sources as if it were the primary source of energy. You rely on reliable and stable energy sources, such as fossil fuels, and use the unreliable and unstable energy sources to supplement and ease the load of the reliable and stable energy sources whenever possible.

That is the problem with "alternative" energy sources, and why they will always be "alternative" energy source. They are unreliable. Wind generators cannot be used if the winds are greater than 45 mph, and they cannot be used when temperatures drop below freezing. That leaves a very narrow window when they are actually generating energy. Solar panels are incredibly inefficient, is only really useful below 45°N latitude, and has no way of providing long-term storage (wind generators have a similar problem with storage).

While they may be renewable energy sources, they cannot be depended upon to provide continuous stable energy at affordable costs. In some cases it also makes no sense, like using ethanol, for example. Sure we can always grow more corn, but by using our food supply for fuel we have tripled the price of beef, pork, and poultry. Which is incredibly stupid, because the cost to produce ethanol is being paid by those who can afford it the least and it lowers the standard of living for everyone.

Use absolutely every energy source available (except for our food) - wind, solar, hydroelectric, geothermal, tidal, nuclear, coal, fuel oil, natural gas, etc., etc., but also take into consideration its reliability. Complete reliance on wind generation to be the primary source of power is what caused Texas' blackout in 2019. They have added a new oil refinery since then, so they would appear to have gotten the message. Continue to use fossil fuels as the primary source of energy, and supplement that primary source with alternative energy sources.
You nailed it Glitch. And as we here in North America and Western Europe are foolishly diving head first into renewables without first establishing a means to replace carbon based energy with something more reliable, like nuclear energy, or more hydro electric capability. Then we should expect not just more energy instability, but economic instability, and political instability around the globe as well.

You nailed it Glitch. And as we here in North America and Western Europe are foolishly diving head first into renewables without first establishing a means to replace carbon based energy with something more reliable, like nuclear energy, or more hydro electric capability. Then we should expect not just more energy instability, but economic instability, and political instability around the globe as well.
If they were smart, which they obviously aren't. They would make certain that they had sufficient power for their population, even if it means using fossil fuels. Then incorporate the less reliable alternative energy sources. While those less reliable alternative energy sources are providing power, it would naturally reduce the amount of fossil fuels that would have otherwise been consumed if those alternative energy sources didn't exist. When those less reliable alternative energy sources are not producing energy, at least you still have the fossil fuel or nuclear energy source to fall back on.

The important part is to always maintain enough power using the reliable energy source to maintain peak capacity, just in case the less reliable alternative energy sources are not producing energy. If they ever allow their peak capacity to exceed their reliable energy source, then they have become dependent on the less reliable energy sources and that is when gray-out/black-outs are going to occur.

So this is entirely a political problem. California, for example, is deliberately sabotaging their State's energy capability. After 2025 California will no longer and ANY nuclear reactors (they use to have four). California has been significantly lowering the standard of living for everyone of their residents by denying them the energy they require. Gov. Gray-Out Davis was just the beginning. It is going to get much worse. At least Texas learned something from their blackout in 2019. California has learned nothing, but that is leftists for you.

There was a recent story about a remote Alaskan village above the Arctic Circle that added 225 kW of solar panels. The article went on to make claims of phenomenal savings in the annual diesel budget for their diesel generators. What the author of the article failed to grasp is that those solar panels can only be used for six months of the year. From October through March the sun doesn't rise above the Arctic Circle, and is completely dark for 90 continuous days when the sun doesn't rise at all.

If this remote village had been run by Democrats no doubt they would have sold off their diesel generator by now and become 100% reliant on solar power. That is the level of stupidity we are dealing with these days.

Last edited:
Seward, Soldotna, they are both on the Kenai Peninsula.
But, they are different cities. In fact, they are 62 miles apart.

Just admit that you were wrong, you don't know about EV charging stations in Alaska.

Uh oh...

If they were smart, which they obviously aren't. They would make certain that they had sufficient power for their population, even if it means using fossil fuels. Then incorporate the less reliable alternative energy sources. While those less reliable alternative energy sources are providing power, it would naturally reduce the amount of fossil fuels that would have otherwise been consumed if those alternative energy sources didn't exist. When those less reliable alternative energy sources are not producing energy, at least you still have the fossil fuel or nuclear energy source to fall back on.

The important part is to always maintain enough power using the reliable energy source to maintain peak capacity, just in case the less reliable alternative energy sources are not producing energy. If they ever allow their peak capacity to exceed their reliable energy source, then they have become dependent on the less reliable energy sources and that is when gray-out/black-outs are going to occur.

So this is entirely a political problem. California, for example, is deliberately sabotaging their State's energy capability. After 2025 California will no longer and ANY nuclear reactors (they use to have four). California has been significantly lowering the standard of living for everyone of their residents by denying them the energy they require. Gov. Gray-Out Davis was just the beginning. It is going to get much worse. At least Texas learned something from their blackout in 2019. California has learned nothing, but that is leftists for you.

There was a recent story about a remote Alaskan village above the Arctic Circle that added 225 kW of solar panels. The article went on to make claims of phenomenal savings in the annual diesel budget for their diesel generators. What the author of the article failed to grasp is that those solar panels can only be used for six months of the year. From October through March the sun doesn't rise above the Arctic Circle, and is completely dark for 90 continuous days when the sun doesn't rise at all.

If this remote village had been run by Democrats no doubt they would have sold off their diesel generator by now and become 100% reliant on solar power. That is the level of stupidity we are dealing with these days.
And the big joke here is that Gavin Newsom, the hapless governor of CA, wants to run for president. That's like clueless Kamala thinking she could be elected president. And, frighteningly, she could suddenly wake up and be president!!

Thankfully, Texas is one of the few parts of the country which has land that is good for both solar panels and wind farms.
Im hoping the rest can be replaced with nuclear since the droughts we are having is making hydroelectric less feasible :<

Im hoping the rest can be replaced with nuclear since the droughts we are having is making hydroelectric less feasible :<
Unfortunately, nuclear power is not a viable solution for Alaska considering our propensity for earthquakes. However, we do have other options that other States don't have.

Cook Inlet, for example, has the largest tide in the US, and the third largest tide in the world. So we are building a tidal generator. It will initially only produce 1 MW, but if the project proves viable it could potentially produce several hundred megawatts. The only time the tidal generators would not be generating power would be during slack tide.

We have also been looking into using geothermal energy from one of our many active volcanoes. The St. Augustine volcano to be more specific. The State approved the geothermal energy lease sale for the volcanic island and one lease was sold on the island in 2013 on a 10-year lease cycle. However, in the 9 years that has elapsed since the lease was issued, no progress appears to have been made.

The Matanuska-Sustina Valley is running out of natural gas. They already use hydroelectric and wind generators to supplement the power they get from natural-gas. The only resource in the Mat-Su Valley that is abundant and cheap is coal. More coal power plants may be required in the future.

Just by using the term "primary source" implies that there is at least a secondary source, and possibly more sources. So if you interpreted it to mean "only" then the misinterpretation is yours and nobody else's.

I realize the uneducated love to redefine words to suit their agenda, but you should really try obtaining a little education to at least use the words as they were actually defined and not merely what you want them to be. "Alternative" does not mean "most," and it never has. In the context used "alternative" means "one of a number of possibilities."

Don't look now, but your lack of education is showing - again.

You're responding to what I did not say. Your provocation is unsubstantiated trolling. You're not worth the time.

Back
Top Bottom