• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Will you watch the Academy Awards tonight?

Will you watch the Academy Awards tonight?

• Yes

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • No

Votes: 15 78.9%

• Total voters
Stace said:
How sad that a thread about an awards show turned into a partisan debate so quickly.

I watched the show merely because Jon Stewart was hosting - love the guy.

I watched about 30 minutes of it to see Jon Stewart (I only learned he was hosting it right before it was on last night). Stace, what did you think? I was not impressed with his hosting capabilities. There was an article in the Washington Post this morning slamming him.

What did you think?

Jon Stewart did alright, not the best. He starting to make fun of the Democrat party which didn't go down to well ( I laughed anyway). Very happy that Crash won best picture, better than Brokeback in my opinion. I felt Matt Dillion should have got supporting actor rather than Clooney.

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
It's amazing how active people's imaginations can get. I listed something as boring as I could think of, and now I'm sharpening axes.

I've MET some the "hot stars". I've got connections. A more shallow gang of people you never want to meet, trust me. They have three topics of coversation:

Who's doing who.
Money.
Shop.

Um, well maybe some of us also have, "connections" and can say that not everyone in show business are all like that. If you think it's all about money, aren't you also in a field that pays well? I mean you could have just become a contruction worker. And shopping? Come on, CEOs and other rich people do just about as much shopping for various things. Bill Gates once paid millions of dollars for a page out of Leonardo Di Vinci's notebook. I know dozens of people in my own city who are in business and high tech fields that shop like crazy. So your broad generalizations are simply unfounded. Besides, what's wrong with shopping if you have the money? Who cares.

Last edited:
aps said:
I watched about 30 minutes of it to see Jon Stewart (I only learned he was hosting it right before it was on last night). Stace, what did you think? I was not impressed with his hosting capabilities. There was an article in the Washington Post this morning slamming him.

What did you think?

Hubby and I were laughing our butts off at the very beginning, but yeah, as the night wore on, I wasn't as impressed as I normally am. I don't know if he was nervous, or if he was just trying to play it safe with what he said, or what the deal was...but it definitely wasn't his A game.

Stace said:
Hubby and I were laughing our butts off at the very beginning, but yeah, as the night wore on, I wasn't as impressed as I normally am. I don't know if he was nervous, or if he was just trying to play it safe with what he said, or what the deal was...but it definitely wasn't his A game.

I loved it when he said that "Good Night and Good Luck" was what George Clooney would say after every date he goes on. That was funny.

Charlize Theron looked like she had a stick up her butt when they flashed the camera on her, so I am glad she didn't get an award.

aps said:
Charlize Theron looked like she had a stick up her butt when they flashed the camera on her, so I am glad she didn't get an award.
Just when I think I am starting to understand you, aps, you say something like this. So, you didn't like the way she looked when the camera flashed on her, and so for that, you are glad she didn't receive an award?

Stace says, ”I was very happy to see Reese Witherspoon win....she is by far my favorite actress, and I finally had a chance to see Walk The Line Saturday night....I thought she was amazing.

And I was glad to see Crash take home so many honors as well.....truly one of the best films I've seen in the past couple of years. I honestly didn't think I'd like it at the beginning, but I was bawling my eyes out at the end. Such an emotionally powerful movie.”

Who is Jon Stewart? Never heard of him. From those I talked to today they didn’t think he did so great.

I was thrilled like you were Stace to see Reese win. She is one of my favorites too. I love Kate Hudson and Ashley Judd…. Reese is such a lady. I was disappointed that Phoenix did not win as he did a great job as well. In fact I really feel his performance was even better than Reeses was.

Was not that happy seeing Clooney win……don’t care for him at all, in fact I don’t think I have ever like anything he ever has been in. I saw clips today and he just acts so arrogant and in love with himself. Do you girls really think he is that good looking?

I never saw the movie Crash……do you think they will re-release it in the theatres…. I want to see it now.

doughgirl said:
Who is Jon Stewart? Never heard of him. From those I talked to today they didn’t think he did so great.

He's the host of Comedy Central's "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart"...very funny guy usually, he's been in a few movies as well (he was in Big Daddy if you've seen that, he was Kevin). He definitely wasn't on form last night, I don't know what the deal was, but trust me, it wasn't his best work.

I was thrilled like you were Stace to see Reese win. She is one of my favorites too. I love Kate Hudson and Ashley Judd…. Reese is such a lady. I was disappointed that Phoenix did not win as he did a great job as well. In fact I really feel his performance was even better than Reeses was.

Yeah, Phoenix deserved something, too....I have to commend them both just on the fact that they both did their own singing....to try and sing like two greats such as Johnny and June....just...wow.

Was not that happy seeing Clooney win……don’t care for him at all, in fact I don’t think I have ever like anything he ever has been in. I saw clips today and he just acts so arrogant and in love with himself. Do you girls really think he is that good looking?

I'm iffy on Clooney.....he's alright looking, but certainly not at the top of my list. Not even top five.

I never saw the movie Crash……do you think they will re-release it in the theatres…. I want to see it now.

I don't know about that, but it's been on DVD for a few months now, you could always rent it. :smile:

Back
Top Bottom