• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Will you shake hands after the pandemic?

Will you shake hands with people after the pandemic is over?

• Total voters

Allan

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I've noticed a few people here saying they won't ever shake hands again, that those days are over. How do you feel about this practice and have you or will you change your behavior due to the pandemic?

I don't offer to shake hands any more and find few people off their hand first. I do shake hands if someone puts their hand out first, so as not to be rude.

I can't really think of many times when I shake hands with people anyway. The one thing that has changed for me personally is holding hands with the kiddos when we're walking down the hallway, giving them a high-five or a hug. I imagine that that will come back at some point, but right now I'm still in a don't-touch-that mode.

it hasn't been around forever...

" The history of the handshake dates back to the 5th century B.C. in Greece. It was a symbol of peace, showing that neither person was carrying a weapon. "

I can't really think of many times when I shake hands with people anyway. The one thing that has changed for me personally is holding hands with the kiddos when we're walking down the hallway, giving them a high-five or a hug. I imagine that that will come back at some point, but right now I'm still in a don't-touch-that mode.
I was always told that you let a woman offer to shake hands first, as the custom isn't something all women have adopted. Anyone can weigh in and tell me that's an old-fashioned notion. I know for women my own age it's unusual for them to offer to shake hands.

Never liked it for sanitary reasons. Especially to do with food handling. I'm going with fist bumps and hand to heart with a nod, or just a nod.

I was always told that you let a woman offer to shake hands first, as the custom isn't something all women have adopted. Anyone can weigh in and tell me that's an old-fashioned notion. I know for women my own age it's unusual for them to offer to shake hands.

It doesn’t bother me if a man reaches out to shake my hand. I don’t ever offer unless I’m in some highly professional setting which is almost never.

Never liked it for sanitary reasons. Especially to do with food handling. I'm going with fist bumps and hand to heart with a nod, or just a nod.
I had a client once who wouldn't stop fussing with nose all the time, using his right hand. When we parted company he offered his hand which I shook without hesitation then looked around for the nearest restroom so I could wash up.

I've been on the fence with this one. My thoughts were: Boy, I don't like the idea of getting cold viruses and such due to shaking hands.
But then I realize I touch items in stores, touch doorknobs and store doors, Bathroom doors (Yuck!).. and other items that might have germs/viruses on them so now I'll shake hands but never, ever rub my eyes with my bare hands, until I have washed them. Don't know if this is applicable but studies have shown that children that have played in dirt are actually more healthy and less prone to diseases' than children with helicopter parents that keep their children squeaky clean. Any thoughts on this one?

Last edited:
I've noticed a few people here saying they won't ever shake hands again, that those days are over. How do you feel about this practice and have you or will you change your behavior due to the pandemic?

I don't offer to shake hands any more and find few people off their hand first. I do shake hands if someone puts their hand out first, so as not to be rude.

Actually, here in Idaho, we never stopped;)

Excellent question Allan. I’m still undecided.

On the matter regarding shaking women’s hands I think the custom use to be to kiss it as a sign of respect.

It doesn’t bother me if a man reaches out to shake my hand. I don’t ever offer unless I’m in some highly professional setting which is almost never.

Like a Principal?(LOL)

Some Asian cultures prefer bowing to hand-shaking. Perhaps we could adopt that here.

Like a Principal?(LOL)

I’ve never once shaken my principal or vice principal’s hand. Those relationships are more casual.

Excellent question Allan. I’m still undecided.

On the matter regarding shaking women’s hands I think the custom use to be to kiss it as a sign of respect.

Thank goodness that isn’t a thing anymore.

I had a client once who wouldn't stop fussing with nose all the time, using his right hand. When we parted company he offered his hand which I shook without hesitation then looked around for the nearest restroom so I could wash up.

*gag*

I do that after a student touches my hand or I’ve touched something they’ve touched after they have pulled down their mask to put their fingers in their mouths or pick their nose. 😬

The CORONA virus is airborne. I haven't heard any actual reports of spread by touch, so I don't thing shaking hands is that big a risk. Social distancing is important, though, and it's impossible to shake hands from six feet away. I think handshaking will resume as we return to pre-pandemic norms.

i will shake hands if i have to. however, this pandemic has taught others what i have suspected for a long time.

1. there is no need to touch anyone in a professional environment.

2. in person meetings accomplish nothing that an audio only virtual meeting can't accomplish, except that the climbers and the "look at me, i'm in charge" people get to play their eye contact game to express dominance. no thanks. i hope that we stick with virtual meetings permanently.

the other good thing that happened : people stopped playing the stupid "hold the door" game once we were forced to be at least six feet apart. i can't count the number of times i had to run for it because some person like thirty feet away saw me and stood there holding the door open. other times, i had to stand there holding the door because someone was within the magical fourteen foot window. we're all adults. we have been opening doors for ourselves since we were little kids. we can continue to do so.

Shaking hands seems like a weird custom to me. I never offer my hand first, but would shake hands if someone else holds theirs out (after the pandemic). It would feel rude
to just ignore them.

I've been on the fence with this one. My thoughts were: Boy, I don't like the idea of getting cold viruses and such due to shaking hands.
But then I realize I touch items in stores, touch doorknobs and store doors, Bathroom doors (Yuck!).. and other items that might have germs/viruses on them so now I'll shake hands but never, ever rub my eyes with my bare hands, until I have washed them. Don't know if this is applicable but studies have shown that children that have played in dirt are actually more healthy and less prone to diseases' than children with helicopter parents that keep their children squeaky clean. Any thoughts on this one?

I think that's true. You're picking up germs and building immunities.

Back
Top Bottom