• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Will we ever accept weed as a social norm?

Correction.
No Kids SHOULD be getting any that way.

It still happens, often.

Apparently some people see no harm in letting kids get intoxicated. :(

If it's legal everyone will be getting what they are payng for, not horse manure or some other junk.

When so many people are obviously doing this stuff illegally it's time to take a close look at making it legal. This will keep people from getting harmful stuff.

I don't think it will be socially acceptable for a couple generations. If it gets marketed properly is the key to acceptance.

Freedom and liberty.

You can be served by some stoned retard waiter/waitress at a restaraunt, eating food made by a guy who was stoned out of his mind if you want to.

You can be served by some stoned retard waiter/waitress at a restaraunt, eating food made by a guy who was stoned out of his mind if you want to.

Precisely. Yes, I can if I want. Up to the restaurant, obviously, if they want to allow their staff to work like that, more power to them. And then I'll decide if i want to patronize the place or not.

Precisely. Yes, I can if I want. Up to the restaurant, obviously, if they want to allow their staff to work like that, more power to them. And then I'll decide if i want to patronize the place or not.

I think I see what your saying.

And again, the topic of this thread is "social norm" not "legality"

I think I see what your saying.

And again, the topic of this thread is "social norm" not "legality"

And it already is.

You asked what it was progress towards, and I stated freedom and liberty. (ergo: decriminalization)

Then you went off about someone being stoned and carrying food out to people, blah blah. I reiterated the freedom part.

Last edited:
In my county, possession of less than 4 ounces is only a ticket.
That's better than the rest of my State, where they can still haul your butt to jail for a misdemeanor amount of pot, but it's still pretty annoying.
The only reason pot's illegal now is so they can make money off writing tickets.
I doubt they'll ever decriminalize it, as long as they're making money.

I understand why people would not want a pilot/bus driver/whatever being high on the job, but how exactly does being high effect a waiter or chef?

I'm currently in a hotel room in downtown Los Angeles, and I have to say that I suspect that weed already is the de facto norm, in California, at least. You could get a contact high from the hallway on our floor.

And it already is.

You asked what it was progress towards, and I stated freedom and liberty. (ergo: decriminalization)

Then you went off about someone being stoned and carrying food out to people, blah blah. I reiterated the freedom part.

Well, my question is.

Why would you desire for it to be a social norm.

I understand why people would not want a pilot/bus driver/whatever being high on the job, but how exactly does being high effect a waiter or chef?

Do you want a drunk chef or waiter?

Impairment is impairment.

I understand why people are supportive of legalization. I am too.

But Im not going to let that issue befuddle the discussion that it should be accepted by society that people run around stoned all day while conducting their daily business.

Well, my question is.

Why would you desire for it to be a social norm.

Because I like happy people :) I like freedom and liberty. And I think people should do what makes them happy, as long as they're not directly harming others.

And, 'social norm' doesn't mean that everyone is doing it everywhere all the time. Sex is a social norm, but your waitress doesn't have sex on the table when she brings you your food. So your leapfrog to 'everyone being stoned all the time' isn't really relevant.

Do you want a drunk chef or waiter?

Impairment is impairment.

I understand why people are supportive of legalization. I am too.

But Im not going to let that issue befuddle the discussion that it should be accepted by society that people run around stoned all day while conducting their daily business.

A multutude of waiters and chefs go to work stoned already, and for the most part those that they cater to do not have a clue. I do not see how this has any bearing on either weeds legality, or whether or not it is a social norm, in the restraurant business it is normal already

To a thinking person yes, but to politicians trying to get votes it will become too hard to control and keep away from the children.

If it were sold in stores that were strictly controlled, like state liquor stores, no kids would be getting any that way.

Their position wold quickly and easily be dismantled in that case, and either they would be a ripe candidate for reasoned enlightenment on the topic, or their faulty reasoning and/or hypocrisy would be easily exposed.

Last edited:
A multutude of waiters and chefs go to work stoned already, and for the most part those that they cater to do not have a clue. I do not see how this has any bearing on either weeds legality, or whether or not it is a social norm, in the restraurant business it is normal already

I know quite a few people in the restaurant business as I have 2 cousins that are top rated chefs, one in Savannah, GA and another in Charlottesville, VA. They partake of the herb, but not during business hours. They are high speed when cooking, juggling a full menu with just 2 or 3 chefs and backs. They both work in gourmet kitchens. They save their "relaxation" until after the kitchen is closed and they are prepped for the next day. The same holds true for the front staff.

Here is one of the menus: http://www.innatcourtsquare.com/dinner.html (check out those crabcakes! Yum!)

edit - ok, here is the crabcake recipe: http://sites.google.com/a/novawhig.org/whig-recipes/home/karlo-s-crabcakes

Last edited:
I know quite a few people in the restaurant business as I have 2 cousins that are top rated chefs, one in Savannah, GA and another in Charlottesville, VA. They partake of the herb, but not during business hours. They are high speed when cooking, juggling a full menu with just 2 or 3 chefs and backs. They both work in gourmet kitchens. They save their "relaxation" until after the kitchen is closed and they are prepped for the next day. The same holds true for the front staff.

You really have no way to know if they are stoned or not, the ones that do go in work stoned (or after a few drinks) are not going to advertise it. I was one of those stoned waiters on countless occasions back in the daze of my youth, and I can tell you from experience that there was a subset of employes getting stoned before or between shifts at literally every restaurant I worked at. It is a common occurance, although it is a subset of the staff, it is by no means insignificant.

The majority are smart enough to seperate work from recreation. These are the same ones who will not suddenly start going into work high because weed is legal or more socially acceptable; the responsible will not suddenly start being irresponsible, and the same core group of stoned waiters and chefs will still be there either way.

Point being, there will not be a rise in stoned chefs and waiters, this nightmare scenario of stoned waters and chefs taking over and infecting everyones ones dining experiences with their stoned cooties would not suddenly spring from nothing. Those who are alredy iresponsile and go to work intoxicated will still be doing so, and those who are responsible and do not will still refrain. It is not a function of whether pot is legal or social norm, it is a function of responsibility.

You really have no way to know if they are stoned or not, the ones that do go in work stoned (or after a few drinks) are not going to advertise it. I was one of those stoned waiters on countless occasions back in the daze of my youth, and I can tell you from experience that there was a subset of employes getting stoned before or between shifts at literally every restaurant I worked at. It is a common occurance, although it is a subset of the staff, it is by no means insignificant.

The majority are smart enough to seperate work from recreation. These are the same ones who will not suddenly start going into work high because weed is legal or more socially acceptable; the responsible will not suddenly start being irresponsible, and the same core group of stoned waiters and chefs will still be there either way.

Point being, there will not be a rise in stoned chefs and waiters, this nightmare scenario of stoned waters and chefs taking over and infecting everyones ones dining experiences with their stoned cooties would not suddenly spring from nothing. Those who are alredy iresponsile and go to work intoxicated will still be doing so, and those who are responsible and do not will still refrain. It is not a function of whether pot is legal or social norm, it is a function of responsibility.

I was also a stoned waiter, and I would get high before work and during work with all of the other waiters and cooks. Of course, I was not at a gourmet restaurant, but at a Red Lobster and a Pizza Hut. I believe my cousins when they say they and their staff keep it after hours. They have much more demanding jobs, both in the kitchen and in front of the customer.

But you are right, the restaurant industry as a whole is a haven for those who like to get high and many do do it before or while at work. Your point that this is not likely to change in any appreciable way if pot is legalized is a point well worth making.

Always makes me wonder if weed will ever be accepted in our society like alcohol is?

I think in another 10 or 20 years yes. I disagree with thos saying "it is". Its NOT as socially accepted in our society like alcohol is, its simply not. You say 1 in 4 adults have tried weed? How many do it on a regular basis? And how do those numbers compare to Alcohol with the same question? I'm going to guess they're not that close. The general view in regards to those that smoke and drink also from all I've ever seen are not equally viewed as acceptable by an equal amount of the population.

No, its NOT as socially acceptable as alcohol right now...though I think it will be in time.

I do generally agree with Caine and some of the others though. I do think it should be legalized but I don't think it should be completely put across as a "social norm"; at the very least I'd want to see it no more of a "social norm" than alcohol is. IE...its not considered socially normal to be at work intoxicated, its not considered socially normal for kids to do it, its not considered socially normal to be in public while on it, etc.

I also agree with the notion of many in here that our society would likely benefit a great deal from having most of the vices people have listed in this thread becoming less of the socially accepted norm.

What is degenerate about weed?

At the moment? The fa ct that its criminal to be partaking in it.

At the moment? The fa ct that its criminal to be partaking in it.

Other than the fact that it is criminal to partake, I adhere to the guideline of "Civil Disobedience". I really don't understand how it ever came to be criminal. There was a concerted propaganda effort to make it so as the users were clearly dark-skinned. How racist can you get.

*sigh*

Apparently the issue really is the legality...

carry on.

Other than the fact that it is criminal to partake, I adhere to the guideline of "Civil Disobedience". I really don't understand how it ever came to be criminal. There was a concerted propaganda effort to make it so as the users were clearly dark-skinned. How racist can you get.

And with that playing of the race card I am done here.

That wasn't what you asked.

You asked what about it is degenerate.

The very nature of partaking in something that is criminal to grow, criminal to buy, criminal to use, is degenerate in nature. You can justify it by civil disobediance but that doesn't magically change what it is. People can justify murdering someone too, doesn't mean its any less illegal. People can justify why it was okay to drink and drive, doesn't make it any less illegal or degenerate.

You asked why its degenerate, and I gave you a reason.

That wasn't what you asked.

You asked what about it is degenerate.

The very nature of partaking in something that is criminal to grow, criminal to buy, criminal to use, is degenerate in nature. You can justify it by civil disobediance but that doesn't magically change what it is. People can justify murdering someone too, doesn't mean its any less illegal. People can justify why it was okay to drink and drive, doesn't make it any less illegal or degenerate.

You asked why its degenerate, and I gave you a reason.

Well, I don't know about comparing murder to getting high, but both are criminal, as you pointed out. As getting high doesn't harm anyone, I wonder why it is criminal.

I think you took me wrong as I wasn't meaning to object to your saying what you said. You are 100% correct, that is what makes it degenerate. I was questioning why is it criminal and made an accurate observation about how it became criminal, which was racist. I do not feel I am playing the race card in some debate we are having as I do not feel we are debating any issue. I was merely expanding the scope of the conversation.

Well, I don't know about comparing murder to getting high, but both are criminal, as you pointed out. As getting high doesn't harm anyone, I wonder why it is criminal.

I think you took me wrong as I wasn't meaning to object to your saying what you said. You are 100% correct, that is what makes it degenerate. I was questioning why is it criminal and made an accurate observation about how it became criminal, which was racist. I do not feel I am playing the race card in some debate we are having as I do not feel we are debating any issue. I was merely expanding the scope of the conversation.

I said I was done, but I couldn't help myself.

Was prohibition of Alcohol racist too?

Back
Top Bottom