• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Will we ever accept weed as a social norm?

Eventually, across the board, it will be looked upon much like any other social intoxicant. In some places, it already is. In some places, they still wipe their butt with a corn cob. And then there's all those places in-between. Give it a few more years. It's almost there. Just let it roll.

Ahh there it is.

There was a famous study don a few years back by a professor who had tattoos. He wanted to prove that the stereotype of folks with tattoos, who binge drink, smoke pot, etc, was false.

Much to his surprise, his own research validated the stereotype. Various "deviant" behaviors are associated with each-other by a common personality type which seeks them out.

So you're right, I don't get to decide these things for you, but you don't get to decide these things for you either. There are predictable behavioral trends and this is one of them.

Reference: Study Found Link Between Tattoos and Deviant Behaviors

Wrong. I DO get to decide these things for myself. I'm baffled as to how anyone could possibly think otherwise. Do you really think that a trend suggests that the people involved cannot make decisions for themselves? That makes no bloody sense and you know it.

Ahh there it is.

There was a famous study don a few years back by a professor who had tattoos. He wanted to prove that the stereotype of folks with tattoos, who binge drink, smoke pot, etc, was false.

Much to his surprise, his own research validated the stereotype. Various "deviant" behaviors are associated with each-other by a common personality type which seeks them out.

So you're right, I don't get to decide these things for you, but you don't get to decide these things for you either. There are predictable behavioral trends and this is one of them.

Reference: Study Found Link Between Tattoos and Deviant Behaviors

Correlation does not equate to causation. I have known drug users who never altered their bodies at all and I know a number of people who have all kinds of body art but never touched so much as a cigarette.

And yes, a person most certainly DOES get to decide these things for his or herself. Just because some study found that deviant behaviors were found together does not mean that such behaviors cause each other to happen.

The choice is ALWAYS yours.

Wrong. I DO get to decide these things for myself. I'm baffled as to how anyone could possibly think otherwise. Do you really think that a trend suggests that the people involved cannot make decisions for themselves? That makes no bloody sense and you know it.

You don't even realize how your constantly asserting independence fits the behavioral trend, do you :lol:

Correlation does not equate to causation. I have known drug users who never altered their bodies at all and I know a number of people who have all kinds of body art but never touched so much as a cigarette.

And yes, a person most certainly DOES get to decide these things for his or herself. Just because some study found that deviant behaviors were found together does not mean that such behaviors cause each other to happen.

The choice is ALWAYS yours.

So you missed the part where I said: "Various "deviant" behaviors are associated with each-other by a common personality type which seeks them out."

If you re-read that post you will not find me saying anything to the effect of "smoking pot causes you to get a tattoo" or any such nonsense.

These behaviors come from a type of personality just as modern humans and apes come from a common ancestor, not humans from apes.

Yes, you make these decisions for yourself. No one is saying anyone other than you make your decision. I'm saying that the decisions you make for yourself can be predictable.

Last edited:
You don't even realize how your constantly asserting independence fits the behavioral trend, do you :lol:
Interesting. So who do presume is in control of my body? I mean, obviously I must be unconscious or something as some other creature exerts its control, no?

So you missed the part where I said: "Various "deviant" behaviors are associated with each-other by a common personality type which seeks them out."

Yeah, if that's all you had said, then you would have remained correct. However, you had to go and **** it up by making the absolute statement that a person does not get to decide these things for themselves.

Interesting. So who do presume is in control of my body? I mean, obviously I must be unconscious or something as some other creature exerts its control, no?

Thank you for further proving my point.

Yeah, if that's all you had said, then you would have remained correct. However, you had to go and **** it up by making the absolute statement that a person does not get to decide these things for themselves.

That's not something I've ever said, either.

I said we don't get to decide whether a behavior is deviant. It is what it is, objectively.

I never claimed that we don't get to decide whether or not to engage in that behavior.

I hope I've made the distinction clear. I made a claim about the nature of a behavior, not a person's ability to choose.

You didn't answer my question. If I'm not in control, then who or what is?

Pressing a loaded question. Nice.

Post 31 answered your question before you asked it.

I said we don't get to decide whether a behavior is deviant. It is what it is, objectively.

I never claimed that we don't get to decide whether or not to engage in that behavior.

I hope I've made the distinction clear. I made a claim about the nature of a behavior, not a person's ability to choose.

Maybe that's what you MEANT to say, but that's not what you said. And still, 'deviant' is subjective.

And yes, behavior can be predicted by people who know the person in question. I can predict the behavior of all my family members and friends. And?

Always makes me wonder if weed will ever be accepted in our society like alcohol is?

It is about time it is accepted. If alcohol, cigarettes, coffee, junk food... are accepted, then why not weed.

That makes more sense then. Carry on...

Maybe that's what you MEANT to say, but that's not what you said. And still, 'deviant' is subjective.

And yes, behavior can be predicted by people who know the person in question. I can predict the behavior of all my family members and friends. And?

That is absolutely correct, rivrrat. He said:

I don't get to decide these things for you, but you don't get to decide these things for you either.

He is clearly talking about behavior one engages in and not whether a particular behavior is deviant. Nothing he said relates to determining whether a behavior s deviant. I would like to know who gets to determine deviancy.

Ahhh. Does that change your answer? I was thinking it more along the lines of prohibition.

I agree that Prohibition isn't helping anything.

When it comes to marijuana, consider me a member of LEAP.

However, like cigarettes, I would hope that one day marijuana would be legal, and considered a "nasty" habit.

Only in so far as a stereotype can not be verified any longer.

"And" nothing. All I said was that various behaviors were associated by a common personality type. You're the one who got all bent out of shape as though I were personally insulting you. Diffusive much? I have my moments so I'm sure you have yours.

Your ability to predict family members in no way removes their ability to make their own decisions. Like most people, you know your family's personalities and behavioral trends.

Last edited:
It's shameful that we are accepting drug use as social norm. Thus proves that our society is degenerating. Keep it illegal and discourage it, not encourage and paint weed as "normal."

I disgaree that it should be kept illegal.

I would believe that if made legal, after several decades of legalization it might become more unpopular than it is now because we will learn more about the negative effects of recreational use.
Just like Tobacco is now not nearly as popular as it once was, and considered a dirty habit.

The same thing that's degenerate about other drugs that so many people use, like caffeine. Nothing. :)

Some folks are just more uppity about their chosen drugs. ;)

Ahh the old Caffeine comparison.

Caffeine doesn't make you act like a blithering moron.

I would like to know who gets to determine deviancy.

If you click the link I provided you will find one such authority who participates in defining these things.

"And" nothing. All I said was that various behaviors were associated by a common personality type. You're the one who got all bent out of shape as though I were personally insulting you. Diffusive much? I have my moments so I'm sure you have yours.
Dude, it's impossible to personally insult me.

I took issue with you saying that people aren't in control of the decisions they make. Which is what you said, even if it is not what you meant.

Your ability to predict family members in no way removes their ability to make their own decisions. Like most people, you know your family's personalities and behavioral trends.
Of course, which was my entire point all along.

Eventually, across the board, it will be looked upon much like any other social intoxicant. In some places, it already is. In some places, they still wipe their butt with a corn cob. And then there's all those places in-between. Give it a few more years. It's almost there. Just let it roll.

The faster it gets there, the faster it can be like tobacco is getting now.

Yes, just let it roll, for the love of god.

Ahh the old Caffeine comparison.

Caffeine doesn't make you act like a blithering moron.

It does for some people. And pot doesn't make me act like one either. And hell, some people need only air to act like blithering morons. Maybe we should ban that too? :lol:

Back
Top Bottom