• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Will Trump Run For Second Term ?

LosAngelesAngel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
~ Yes - we all know he says he will. But some have doubts. What say you ...?

Bigger question is will Trump still be in office to be eligible.

If he is still in office it wouldn’t surprise me if he doesn’t run. He can leave, bragging about all the wonderful things he’s done for us and not have to face a potentially humiliating loss.

I don't think so.

I think he will run.

He strikes me as a person who sets goals and doesn't give up on them until they are absolutely unattainable. His goal is "MAGA". I don't think he'll reach that goal in one term and I don't think the goal will be unattainable in one term.

Trump will resign from office due to "health problems" before he has a chance to run for a second term.

"health problems", of course, will be a lie.

I suspect he will run for a 2nd term, and given his first term we have indication he will lose.

Springsteen says he will there's not Dem who can beat him. The Boss knows.

No idea at this point. I recall him wanting to only run for one term, but that was in early 2016 and we all know that all he needs to see is just a slight chance and he'll jump for it. He democrats are currently helping him pad for the election right now, so I don't think there is much chance of him not taking that opportunity either.

I would be interested in voting for him again as is, seeing as he's been a much better president than I was going to give him credit for in the beginning. Though if he run, I can see other republican candidates being more capable of winning against him. In 2016, had Bernie been the one to get the nomination, I doubt Trump would've stood much of a chance all things considered. If anything, Clinton's nomination was a massive vote in his favor.

2020 will most likely be an interesting year politically.

It's likely he either won't finish this term or, if he does, it will be in disgrace, crippled politically to the point of embarrassment and unable to run again because of his ego.

Trump will resign from office due to "health problems" before he has a chance to run for a second term.

"health problems", of course, will be a lie.

A possibility, but even there his ego is his enemy. Remember that goofy, laughably stupid doctor's report on his health that it turns out he dictated himself?

A possibility, but even there his ego is his enemy. Remember that goofy, laughably stupid doctor's report on his health that it turns out he dictated himself?

IF - and that is a big word - the Mueller report is so scathing and so well documented that it even causes the human tortoise McConnell to give up on Trump - he is toast regardless if Trump himself is ready or not. We shall see.

And yes, that doctors report was hysterical. A fat obese sedentary man who actually grew taller and became more fit as his waistline bulged from binging on junk food. AMAZING!!!!

YouGov asked the question if you want Trump to run for reelection on 4 Dec. Question 63. Republicans answered 75% yes, 12% no. Democrats, 6% yes, 86% no. But it's independents that one should pay attention to. Forget Democrats and Republicans, they're biased, partisan as all get out. Now independents state 30% yes on Trump running for reelection, 48% no.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/yoolhxrark/econTabReport.pdf

Considering Trump won the White House on the backs of independents, they voted for Trump 46-42 over Hillary with 12% voting third party. He still lost the popular vote because Republicans are the smaller of the two major parties. Trump probably would need to win independents by a larger margin in 2020. But you're looking at 48% of independents not wanting him today. That's six points higher than how they voted for Hillary in 2016. Worse yet there are 22% of independents undecided or not sure. If they break in half or close to it, independents might give the Democratic presidential candidate 59 or 60% of their vote.

With independents, 21% view Trump very favorable. That 21% Trump can count on for support for him, their votes. But 37% of independents view Trump very unfavorable, those votes are sure to go to the Democratic nominee. Question 46%. The somewhat favorable and somewhat unfavorable could switch back and forth, no need to count them. Unlike the very favorable or very unfavorable, they aren't set in stone.

It's a bleak prospect if Trump does decide to run again. Especially among independents, a group Trump and the Republicans need to win. The Democrats don't, being the larger of the two major parties only means they must keep the independent vote close. Not win it.

Now that the Dems control congress I think not, but he may be out before then. Interesting days ahead.

Springsteen says he will there's not Dem who can beat him. The Boss knows.

I thought celebrities were too liberal and too political. Should shut up and go away????

Unless a deal can be struck so there are no indictments of him or his family then Trump will run again the presidency is the only thing keeping him from indictments.
The real question is will he be running for president during a recession?

Add to that, the combination of Trump and whatever you want to call the GOP today just blundered themselves silly if they had any hopes of seeing Trump with a two term presidency. I even commented that I myself had misjudged their mishandling of the economy. They are running themselves right into a slow down followed by the beginnings of a recession just as 2020 Elections come around. Thought they would at least be smart enough to have not dug that hole for themselves.

Most first term administrations time it better. They will use up political capital on a major social program that has economic benefits to start their presidencies so that they have at least used the most political capital they are ever going to have in that manner. Then will try to juice the economy enough to start looking sporty for the next presidential election cycle.

What did the bloodthirsty Republicans do coupled with the totally self absorbed Donald? They went after the ACA. Failing that, both Donald and the rest of the GOP raved about a middle class tax cut that was not a middle class tax cut at all. Donald in case nobody has noticed does not care about MAGA or anything else that does not have to do with his own personal wealth enhancement.

Since then, they have been utterly and completely out of gas, unable to deal with their own quibbling and squabbling, Trump cannot run the party, let alone the country. Yet the GOP has no choice but to follow him down the rathole. They never gave themselves a choice and they don't deserve one.

So what should they have done wayyyyyyyy back in 2017 at the start of Donald's terrible presidency? INFRASTRUCTURE. That was the big social and economic impact program that needed to get done right off the top. Would have put people to work fixing this disaster of an infrastructure we now have hung around our necks. My God as late as 2008, I would have business guests from foreign lands in to visit our company jabbing me aloud as we went to diner that they did not realize we were "located out in the wilderness on a cow path"! Thats ten years ago.

But NOOOOOOOOO! Donald, having drained the Treasury turning a firehose full of gasoline on the economy calling it a middle class tax cut and compelling a sugar high more than an actual economic cycle worth anything had nothing left for Infrastructure and was left every month trotting out "Infrastructure Week" built around a paltry $200B program...an utter JOKE! Taking the nominal Corp tax rate all the way down to a nominal 21% robbed the Treasury of another $600B we are getting absolutely nothing for. That $600B would have given Donald a baseline and if he was not pulling the $200B he kept yammering on about once per month directly out of his butt hole, he would have had $800B of what was considered a $1.5T infrastructure price tag. $800B would have been half the $1.5T nut and now you have something.

Now he is about to bring out an outline for a $1T Infrastructure Program he does not have the money for and Administration sources are already leaking that Donald Duck has commented that he does not care about the federal debt or the deficit because he won't be around when the bill comes due. The GOP lost its shot at a two term president and I am not convinced that either Donald or they want it at this point. They are headed for a 2020 avalanche against them.

Its likely unavoidable at this point whether Donald runs or not.

Oh and I forgot, Trump and the GOP has the headwind of massive corruption charges, the results of the Mueller probe somewhere in these next two years and a US House run by Dems that will be cutting Legislation that speaks to the American people as they punch Donald in the mouth daily. Good luck with that GOP.

Last edited:

I think he will run, but I see a good chance there will be a strongly fought primary

Unless he's destroyed politically (and that can be in many ways), yes, he'll run. He's too arrogant to not run. Will he win? I doubt it. But yes, he'll run.

Will Trump run again? Only if he knows he has a good chance to win. There's a lot of loose ends that need to be shored up before that could be determined. It also has a lot to do with how the Democrats in the House play their cards. The overwhelming majority of people want Immigration reform to stop these massive surges at the border. If the Democrats continue the "resist" it could be damning for them.

IF in the next 6 mos. or sooner, Huber who has been mounting indictments over illegal activity of the Obama administration spying on the Trump campaign, leaking to the press, unmaskings of Americans, lying to investigators and FISA court abuses are revealed.....and Trump declassifies the documents so the American people can read for themselves proving these people were involved in hijacking this presidency from the beginning then you are going to see a lot of people absolutely disgusted as polls already show the overwhelming majority already believe the Mueller investigation is political.

IF indictments start flying over the Clinton Foundation which is also part of Huber's mandate to investigate then that could be very damning for Democrats leading up to an election. The last couple of days there have been reports that whistleblowers turned over to the DOJ and Congress a slew of evidence in Aug. 2017. Hundreds of pages and 90 some pieces of evidence.

https://thehill.com/opinion/white-h...-evidence-in-2017-alleging-clinton-foundation
-
Look, Nadler has already stated they are going to run a stake through the heart of the FBI investigation involving the Obama administration and will be opening a slew of new investigations into the Trump administration. That may be the plan for the House but the current investigations ongoing in the Senate will continue.

There is also the Horowitz report that should be winding up too. The American people need to be told what really happened instead of being fed speculations from a very bias media.
If it reveals the Obama administration through the DOJ/FBI and other agencies involved in dirty crap to set up Trump then that isn't going to play well with voters.

Will Trump run again? Only if he knows he has a good chance to win. There's a lot of loose ends that need to be shored up before that could be determined. It also has a lot to do with how the Democrats in the House play their cards. The overwhelming majority of people want Immigration reform to stop these massive surges at the border. If the Democrats continue the "resist" it could be damning for them.

IF in the next 6 mos. or sooner, Huber who has been mounting indictments over illegal activity of the Obama administration spying on the Trump campaign, leaking to the press, unmaskings of Americans, lying to investigators and FISA court abuses are revealed.....and Trump declassifies the documents so the American people can read for themselves proving these people were involved in hijacking this presidency from the beginning then you are going to see a lot of people absolutely disgusted as polls already show the overwhelming majority already believe the Mueller investigation is political.

IF indictments start flying over the Clinton Foundation which is also part of Huber's mandate to investigate then that could be very damning for Democrats leading up to an election. The last couple of days there have been reports that whistleblowers turned over to the DOJ and Congress a slew of evidence in Aug. 2017. Hundreds of pages and 90 some pieces of evidence.

https://thehill.com/opinion/white-h...-evidence-in-2017-alleging-clinton-foundation
-
Look, Nadler has already stated they are going to run a stake through the heart of the FBI investigation involving the Obama administration and will be opening a slew of new investigations into the Trump administration. That may be the plan for the House but the current investigations ongoing in the Senate will continue.

There is also the Horowitz report that should be winding up too. The American people need to be told what really happened instead of being fed speculations from a very bias media.
If it reveals the Obama administration through the DOJ/FBI and other agencies involved in dirty crap to set up Trump then that isn't going to play well with voters.

No worries. Trump and his people trapped themselves.

No reason not to.

I certainly hope so. Highly unpopular and a huge drag on the GOP. There are at least 32 Senate seats on the 2020 ballot. Ripe for a blue wave.

Back
Top Bottom