• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Will Trump Declare a National Emergency in 19 days?

Will Trump Declare a National Emergency

• Yes. The president should declare a national emergency

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • No. I don't think he should declare a national emergency

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Maybe. He may use this as a bargaining chip to get the wall

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Absolutely not: He will not risk using “emergency” powers to circumvent congressional

Votes: 4 19.0%

• Total voters

HumblePi

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Donald Trump appears to be leaning towards declaring a national emergency if he doesn't get a bill that includes 5.7 billion for for his wall by Feb 5th. If he's going to use this as a tactic he needs to be careful before he crosses this threshold. First of all, he will have to present the case to Congress that there actually is a genuine crisis. He said 2 years ago that this was a crisis. He said last February when the democrats offered him 25 billion for his wall that it was a crisis. What is different or unique about the 'crisis' now that it requires declaring a national emergency but it didn't require a national emergency in 2017 or 2018?

If he goes ahead despite warnings from his conservative in Congress and declares a national emergency, he plans to 'rob Peter to pay Paul'. In other words, he's going to direct money away from one of several places. It could be from the Pentagon's military construction, flood-control funds, disaster relief funds, etc. If he does that, there will be many lawsuits immediately to prevent this. Will he only be setting up potential battles in Congress and in the courts that could drag on for years?

Last edited:
Will and should need two different poll options.

Why are you gonna to shocked? You know this is a bandaid and, then they are going to claim a victory because the president is evil and mean. Really? You know it’s pretty simple but everyone wants to make it a big (—-) deal because trump is the president

I THINK he is sufficiently aware of the mess he would create in declaring a national emergency, and that his recent embarrassment is fresh enough that he would shy away from another epic battle which he is likely to lose.

But he is very erratic, to say the least. And not nearly as willing to contain his impulses in the name of self-preservation as I would have thought.

So I really have no idea which way he'll go after three weeks of Pelosi staring him down and the media commenting on how Pelosi has owned him.

I don't personally think he will. This issue has been absolutely miserable to him and he would prefer it if it never came up again.

I say this with the full knowledge that predicting Trump's actions is often a foolish endeavor.

I don't personally think he will. This issue has been absolutely miserable to him and he would prefer it if it never came up again.

I say this with the full knowledge that predicting Trump's actions is often a foolish endeavor.
It's just another one of his wannabe tough guy threats, that he has no intention of carrying out if called on it.

Pelosi knew he was full of ****, so she cancelled the SOTU to prove it to the public.

It's hardly an emergency at over 19 days notice. (He threatened to do it the day he caved.)

Good.

I'd like for her to completely block the SOTU, so long as he publicly acts like a gangster with his demands and threats.

In purely practical terms, it's actually just smart thinking on Pelosi's part. She doesn't know if he's going to try another shutdown or declare an emergency on February 15, so it's best to withhold something he wants until he demonstrates that he's willing to behave.

NO, the President will not declare an emergency.

Nancy has taught him a lesson that he will never forget.

He realizes that many people simply do not care if people walk into the country without permission, so he is going to graciously accept that sad fact.

I have just heard on the radio that many younger people (including Republicans) are becoming more liberal and that they could not care less about a wall.

Apparently, the younger generation wants to shoot themselves in the foot. So let them do so.

President Trump should now spend his time trying to encourage moderate independents to run for president in order to split the Democratic vote.

Donald Trump appears to be leaning towards declaring a national emergency if he doesn't get a bill that includes 5.7 billion for for his wall by Feb 5th. If he's going to use this as a tactic he needs to be careful before he crosses this threshold. First of all, he will have to present the case to Congress that there actually is a genuine crisis. He said 2 years ago that this was a crisis. He said last February when the democrats offered him 25 billion for his wall that it was a crisis. What is different or unique about the 'crisis' now that it requires declaring a national emergency but it didn't require a national emergency in 2017 or 2018?

If he goes ahead despite warnings from his conservative in Congress and declares a national emergency, he plans to 'rob Peter to pay Paul'. In other words, he's going to direct money away from one of several places. It could be from the Pentagon's military construction, flood-control funds, disaster relief funds, etc. If he does that, there will be many lawsuits immediately to prevent this. Will he only be setting up potential battles in Congress and in the courts that could drag on for years?

It has been a crisis for decades. Just because the crisis may not be as bad today as it was yesterday doesn't matter. The Russian Collusion crisis isn't as bad today as it was in 2016 so do you favor dropping the Mueller investigation? I'm hoping Democrats do make some kind of deal. If not, bring on the declaration of an emergency. This is not something Congress gets to vote on, unless they want to vote on giving Trump a wall. The emergency declaration bypasses Congress so they don't get to vote on it. That's what an emergency declaration is all about.

It has been a crisis for decades. Just because the crisis may not be as bad today as it was yesterday doesn't matter. The Russian Collusion crisis isn't as bad today as it was in 2016 so do you favor dropping the Mueller investigation? I'm hoping Democrats do make some kind of deal. If not, bring on the declaration of an emergency. This is not something Congress gets to vote on, unless they want to vote on giving Trump a wall. The emergency declaration bypasses Congress so they don't get to vote on it. That's what an emergency declaration is all about.

Trump will have to persuade the country - not only his base - that this is a genuine crisis. He will have to convince Congress that this isn't just another power grab tactic that constitutes abuse of power. Declaring a national emergency will immediately go to a district court and these judges, as we've seen again and again, will declare a freeze on what the administration does, probably for a considerable period of time while it worked its way through the courts, probably many months.

The minute that he takes a legal action that at least half the country is going to say is illegal, and a district judge is going to freeze, then it becomes whether he is acting lawlessly rather than whether he is protecting the national security of the country.

In purely practical terms, it's actually just smart thinking on Pelosi's part. She doesn't know if he's going to try another shutdown or declare an emergency on February 15, so it's best to withhold something he wants until he demonstrates that he's willing to behave.
I think it would be a horrible idea. It would energize the Trump base who is currently disappointed with him, it would give legitimacy to attacks that Democrats are just obstructing, it would violate any future Constitutional concerns Democrats would claim to have and, most importantly, the SOTU is a Constitutionally mandated acted, with modern tradition being it be delivered in the House.

It is not smart thinking, it's petty thinking. And I can understand the idea that sometimes you have to treat a child like a child, but becoming a child yourself does the country no favors.

I think it would be a horrible idea. It would energize the Trump base who is currently disappointed with him, it would give legitimacy to attacks that Democrats are just obstructing, it would violate any future Constitutional concerns Democrats would claim to have and, most importantly, the SOTU is a Constitutionally mandated acted, with modern tradition being it be delivered in the House.

It is not smart thinking, it's petty thinking. And I can understand the idea that sometimes you have to treat a child like a child, but becoming a child yourself does the country no favors.

She offered the House as a venue for the SotU on the condition that he reopen government, and lo and behold he's talking about shutting down government again. Giving him what he wants is silly under those circumstances.

There are two questions here, should he and will he?

As for the first, no he should not declare a national emergency to get border wall funding. The immigration situation is the same as it has been for decades. It is clearly not a national emergency or one would have been declared a long time ago.

As for the second, it's kind of hard to predict. Part of me says he won't want to risk another blow to his ego by picking another fight he's likely to lose. On the other hand, that same ego might make him more likely to do it in an attempt to make up for having to back down.

I suppose it comes down to which Trump wins out. The political survivalist Trump, or the narcissistic Trump.

Trump will have to persuade the country - not only his base - that this is a genuine crisis. He will have to convince Congress that this isn't just another power grab tactic that constitutes abuse of power. Declaring a national emergency will immediately go to a district court and these judges, as we've seen again and again, will declare a freeze on what the administration does, probably for a considerable period of time while it worked its way through the courts, probably many months.

The minute that he takes a legal action that at least half the country is going to say is illegal, and a district judge is going to freeze, then it becomes whether he is acting lawlessly rather than whether he is protecting the national security of the country.

Trump doesn't have to persuade anyone. He announces it, Democrats take him to court, win a temporary injunction, and then eventually the SC will decide. They are the only ones he needs to persuade.

Trump doesn't have to persuade anyone. He announces it, Democrats take him to court, win a temporary injunction, and then eventually the SC will decide. They are the only ones he needs to persuade.

Well no, you are incorrect. Trump does indeed have to convince the country and the Congress that this is a legitimate crisis. If they aren't convinced then he will have to convince the 9th circuit federal court. If they aren't convinced they it may or may not be heard by the SC. A president cannot simply run around declaring national emergencies every time he doesn't get his own way.

I chose maybe, but think it's unlikely. Unlikely however is not 'never'.

He may threaten it as a bargaining chip. He may do it as an alternative to shutting down the govt again, because that was far too costly politically. So we'll wait and see.

He might just let congress sail another bill through and use the emergency powers to get his wall money independent of them. It's ugly, might encourage impeachment, but wouldn't hurt his ratings as much as another shutdown.

Well no, you are incorrect. Trump does indeed have to convince the country and the Congress that this is a legitimate crisis. If they aren't convinced then he will have to convince the 9th circuit federal court. If they aren't convinced they it may or may not be heard by the SC. A president cannot simply run around declaring national emergencies every time he doesn't get his own way.

He doesn't have to convince anyone. He announces it, Democrats sue in liberal courts (gee, I wonder which one the 9th is?), the 9th rules against Trump, and then it goes to the Supreme Court. Even if a huge majority were to side with Trump, liberals would still take Trump to court and win, with the Supreme Court eventually deciding the issue.

He doesn't have to convince anyone. He announces it, Democrats sue in liberal courts (gee, I wonder which one the 9th is?), the 9th rules against Trump, and then it goes to the Supreme Court. Even if a huge majority were to side with Trump, liberals would still take Trump to court and win, with the Supreme Court eventually deciding the issue.

See what you just did? You are repeating the words of Fox and Trump regarding the 9th circuit. The only reason that Trump hates the 9th circuit is because they ruled against him in his Muslim ban. But oh well, the federal courts of the United States are here to uphold the laws not break them for a pissant little dictator that stomps his feet when he doesn't get his way. Democracy works when it's not interfered with by a tyrant. The Supreme Court may or may NOT take this case even if it came to that. They may decide that it's up to the Federal court in the jurisdiction of D.C. that has the last word. The Supreme Court doesn't automatically take every case.

Indeed as "rewarding" Trump for the shutdown from start to finish would be a green light for him to do it again. Trump would be at it once again right now. Or die trying.

It is such a shame that 35 percent of the people here feel there is a problem at the border our existing agents cant handle. and want and need to spend money on a wall... How about the 200 people that happen to be mainly white dying from opiod and or prescription drugs put money where it is needed first!! i am more afraid of my air and water and food not being protected than some immigrants sneakin in!!! Dammmmn

If he doesnt get some sort of deal on funding for the wall...Id say yes he does and probably should. Politically...he NEEDS to.

Back
Top Bottom