• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Will Trump Be Forced to Release Returns?

Will Mr. Trump have to release his return now?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Patrickt

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
"Hillary Clinton and her running mate Tim Kaine released their 2015 tax returns on Friday – a move meant to put pressure on Donald Trump to disclose his own returns."
Clinton releases tax returns, presses Trump to follow suit | Fox News

"The tax release is part of an effort to undercut Trump's character by questioning the New York businessman's record. Trump has refused to make his filings public, saying they're under audit by the Internal Revenue Service and that he'll release them only once that review is complete. All major U.S. presidential candidates in modern history have released their returns."

So, will Mr. Trump be forced to release his tax returns? If you go with Mr. Trump's claim that he won't release them until his IRS audit is done, that's a no.

Last edited:
"[FONT="]Hillary Clinton and her running mate Tim Kaine released their 2015 tax returns on Friday – a move meant to put pressure on Donald Trump to disclose his own returns."
[/FONT]http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/08/12/clinton-releases-tax-returns-presses-trump-to-follow-suit.html

"[FONT="]The tax release is part of an effort to undercut Trump's character by questioning the New York businessman's record. Trump has refused to make his filings public, saying they're under audit by the Internal Revenue Service and that he'll release them only once that review is complete. All major U.S. presidential candidates in modern history have released their returns."

So, will Mr. Trump be forced to release his tax returns?[/FONT]

If he wasn't such a coward, he would release them.

If he wasn't such a coward, he would release them.

I predict the Assassinator-in-Chief will not release his tax returns before the November election. In fact, can I make that a Prophecy?

"na, na, na, you can't make me; I can't hear you; my (tiny) taxes and (giant) tax shelters are none of your business. Hello? where did everybody go? No, I won't be attending the inauguration. I've got my tee time already reserved at my resort in Scotland on that day."

He doesn't have to. Nobody would believe the returns if he did. From his perspective, there's really no reason to release them. Were I in his shoes, I know I wouldn't. I'd ignore the entire thing, dismiss any questions out of hand, and move along. Works for Hillary.

He doesn't have to. Nobody would believe the returns if he did. From his perspective, there's really no reason to release them. Were I in his shoes, I know I wouldn't. I'd ignore the entire thing, dismiss any questions out of hand, and move along. Works for Hillary.

He can't release them. He doesn't dare.

He can't release them. He doesn't dare.

I don't know about that. I haven't seen his returns, and I doubt I, personally, would be able to decipher them anyway. What would be the political upside for Trump if he released them?

Trump has made a decision that there is less harm to him by NOT releasing his return. He also knows the cover on his big multi-billionaire claim goes to hell in a hand basket if he releases his returns. So he wants to preserve the fantasy.

I don't know about that. I haven't seen his returns, and I doubt I, personally, would be able to decipher them anyway. What would be the political upside for Trump if he released them?

The upside. Well, if the tax return substantiate his claim as to his wealth that would be an upside, wouldn't it? I suppose his tax return could help prove his the business genius he claims to be. The would be an upside, too. His tax return might show that he's as honest as he's tried to pretend to be. That would be an upside, too.

Of course, as a liberal, he no more has to release the tax returns than President Obama had to allow his school records to be released.

Even though he's a liberal Democrat, Donald Trump is running as a Republican so he doesn't get quite the treatment from the liberal media that most Democrats expect.

"Hillary Clinton and her running mate Tim Kaine released their 2015 tax returns on Friday – a move meant to put pressure on Donald Trump to disclose his own returns."

"The tax release is part of an effort to undercut Trump's character by questioning the New York businessman's record. Trump has refused to make his filings public, saying they're under audit by the Internal Revenue Service and that he'll release them only once that review is complete. All major U.S. presidential candidates in modern history have released their returns."

So, will Mr. Trump be forced to release his tax returns? If you go with Mr. Trump's claim that he won't release them until his IRS audit is done, that's a no.

What I have found out is the average voter don't give a hoot about tax returns. It usually is the one who are against a candidate to include the media that hollers for the release so they can find a gotcha. Supports of the candidate will continue to support him whether he does or don't. In my long years of following politics, I really do not know of or heard of anyone changing his vote over a candidate releasing his tax returns or not. If they has been some, they are so small no one ever picked up on it.

Personally, I don't care one bit whether Trump releases his tax returns, I made up my mind a long time ago I would never vote for the man. I also made up my mind a long time ago I would never vote for Hillary, her releasing her tax return hasn't changed that either. To me that was a non-event.

I've got three things to say:

1. Hillary and others were so full of it for complaining about Trump not releasing his returns and they hadn't even done it themselves until today.

2. I really don't understand why the left his harping on this so much. What could his tax returns possibly show, that he's a billionaire? That he pays as few taxes as possible? That he doesn't donate much to charity? Who cares?

3. The much bigger thing is the Trump university lawsuit which is supposed to happen somewhere around the election. That could be the final nail in his coffin, assuming the final nail isn't already in.

Sadly, I don't know what the average voter wants or doesn't want. I will never vote for a liberal Democrat so that knocks Trump and Clinton out of the running and I would never vote for a man wearing a merkin on his head.

The upside. Well, if the tax return substantiate his claim as to his wealth that would be an upside, wouldn't it? I suppose his tax return could help prove his the business genius he claims to be. The would be an upside, too. His tax return might show that he's as honest as he's tried to pretend to be. That would be an upside, too.

Of course, as a liberal, he no more has to release the tax returns than President Obama had to allow his school records to be released.

Even though he's a liberal Democrat, Donald Trump is running as a Republican so he doesn't get quite the treatment from the liberal media that most Democrats expect.

Those are only upsides if you are naive enough to believe that his tax returns and finances would be treated in a manner similar to the treatment Hillary has received. I see no compelling reason for Trump to release them. After all, it's politically a serious joke to suggest that Hillary has released much of anything besides her tax return. There are potentially far more serious things that Hillary has taken care to hide from the public. Suppose Trump releases his medical records? Would you demand that Hillary release hers as well?

It's not a legal requirement. How could anyone force him to do anything that isn't a legal requirement?

Also, even though I hate what the guy is doing to my party, and I can't imagine voting for him, I don't feel that it's any of our damned business what his tax returns say. If he had broken any laws, we would know that already because that would be public record. Does privacy not mean anything to anyone anymore?

As long as he's complied with tax law, I couldn't give less of a damn about his taxes than I do right now. His taxes, other than whether or not he has complied with tax law, is none of our business.

Now, if someone can post a copy of some court papers where the IRS has charged him with a criminal act and taken him to court, then that would give us something to discuss that would have to do with his qualifications to be President. Beyond that, it's none of our business.

It's not a legal requirement. How could anyone force him to do anything that isn't a legal requirement?

Also, even though I hate what the guy is doing to my party, and I can't imagine voting for him, I don't feel that it's any of our damned business what his tax returns say. If he had broken any laws, we would know that already because that would be public record. Does privacy not mean anything to anyone anymore?

As long as he's complied with tax law, I couldn't give less of a damn about his taxes than I do right now. His taxes, other than whether or not he has complied with tax law, is none of our business.

Now, if someone can post a copy of some court papers where the IRS has charged him with a criminal act and taken him to court, then that would give us something to discuss that would have to do with his qualifications to be President. Beyond that, it's none of our business.

Right. Being honest, honorable, fair, trustworthy, and decent are not something a reasonable person would consider as qualifications for a politician. Neither of the Republican candidate, a liberal democrat, or the Democrat candidate, another Democrat, are any of things.

But, politicians are often required, assuming they aren't Democrats, to release tax returns, medical histories, school records, and whatever.

I've got three things to say:

1. Hillary and others were so full of it for complaining about Trump not releasing his returns and they hadn't even done it themselves until today.

2. I really don't understand why the left his harping on this so much. What could his tax returns possibly show, that he's a billionaire? That he pays as few taxes as possible? That he doesn't donate much to charity? Who cares?

3. The much bigger thing is the Trump university lawsuit which is supposed to happen somewhere around the election. That could be the final nail in his coffin, assuming the final nail isn't already in.

She released quite a bit after she announced her candidacy

Hillary releases 8 years of tax returns - POLITICO

The Clinton campaign made public eight years of returns — covering 2007 to 2014, essentially filling in the public record since she ran for president unsuccessfully eight years ago. As a result of the earlier campaign and her husband’s political career, the couple’s returns back to 1977 are now public.

I hope he doesn't return them. It will further show what a hypocrite and liar he is again.

He told Romney to release his returns.

He has played a stupid game that he couldn't release them until the audit was done. Then he claimed he would release his when Clinton released her's.

Trump is the biggest joke out there.

I believe he will have to, Clinton will crucify him in the debates if he does not. Sooner or later the truth will come out.

No, he won't. I think he believes that he dare not release his tax returns, because we'd find that either he doesn't have anywhere near the money he keeps claiming...or he's got more financial interests with Russia than we know...or he hasn't been giving anything to charity as he claims he has. Or a combination of the three.

One of two things will happen should he release them and both will be equally as damaging: (A) Michael Bloomberg will be vindicated and we will see that Trump is a liar and not worth anywhere close to the boastful claims he's made or (B)The public will be privy to all of his unscrupulous tax shelters and questionable accounts revealing him as the hypocrite that he is and crushing his "populist" image.

Greetings, Beaudreaux. :2wave:

:agree: I've never understood the need for anyone to know what a person's tax return shows! It sounds like a form of envy or something. Is it supposed to let us know something we couldn't do anything about anyway? Ridiculous! :thumbdown:

:agree: I've never understood the need for anyone to know what a person's tax return shows! It sounds like a form of envy or something. Is it supposed to let us know something we can't do anything about anyway? :thumbdown:
It could show us a great deal about a candidate's honesty and sincerity......especially when one of his most boastful, self-proclaimed qualifications is his own financial success.

:agree: I've never understood the need for anyone to know what a person's tax return shows! It sounds like a form of envy or something. Is it supposed to let us know something we couldn't do anything about anyway? Ridiculous! :thumbdown:

I think he should just do it so we don't have to hear about it anymore, because I'm sick of hearing about it. And Hillary won't be able to attack him during the debates for not releasing his tax returns.

Back
Top Bottom