• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Will the Tea Party movement have a positive effect on the country?

Any casual observer of Tea Party events can clearly see that the vast majority of them are White.

Well, yes. The vast majority of America is white. The vast majority of Congress is white. The vast majority of employees on MSNBC are white. The vast majority of people watching fireworks last night were white. The vast majority of voters are white. The vast majority of babies are white.

So the question begs......so?

Well, yes. The vast majority of America is white. The vast majority of Congress is white. The vast majority of employees on MSNBC are white. The vast majority of people watching fireworks last night were white. The vast majority of voters are white. The vast majority of babies are white.

So the question begs......so?

You don't get out of town much, eh? :rolleyes:

You don't get out of town much, eh? :rolleyes:

Well, I'm not sure what you mean by that, but could you explain why it's so important what color the majority of a group is?

Well, I'm not sure what you mean by that, but could you explain why it's so important what color the majority of a group is?

Well, there are two concerns. One is that white supremacists have indeed adopted the tea party as a flag of convenience. The KKK itself is even hosting their own so called "tea parties" and white supremacist organizations are showing up at the mainstream tea parties. That isn't neccesarily the fault of the legitimate tea party, but they've been mysteriously quite about it and tolerant of white supremacists at even their own events. That seems to indicate a willingness to tolerate racism and that is quite alarming to me.

Secondly, when you see that a particular message isn't resonating with huge blocks of the population defined by an ethnicity or race, you need to ask what is wrong. A decent political platform should represent and appeal to all Americans, not just the members of a single race.

I've seen tea parties force people with racist t-shirts (either being genuine racists or plants) to leave their gathering. The tea party IS resonating with people other than whites. There ARE people of other colors that are conservative and agree with the tea parties. Naturally, most people in it are white because most people in this country are white. You see?

My point, which is clear, is that the teabaggers are not against any polices because they disagree with them. They are against President Obama because he is not like them.

Do you eat with that filthy mouth?
If everyone dislikes Obama and not his policies why do the polls continue to give him good likability ratings and poor ratings when it comes to the job he is doing? How did he get voted in? Did those who voted for him suddenly turn racist after he won?

Any casual observer of Tea Party events can clearly see that the vast majority of them are White.

The vast majority of blacks are dems. You wouldn't expect too many at Tea Party events. The few Black Conservatives we have are demonized by the left and other blacks. Just like Conservative women are not embraced by womens rights groups. Hopefully blacks will wake up and more will join. There is definately a trend with strong conservative women getting involved.

The vast majority of blacks are dems. You wouldn't expect too many at Tea Party events. The few Black Conservatives we have are demonized by the left and other blacks. Just like Conservative women are not embraced by womens rights groups. Hopefully blacks will wake up and more will join. There is definately a trend with strong conservative women getting involved.

You make a good point there. It's sad to see America divided by ethnic and racial lines like this.

I've seen tea parties force people with racist t-shirts (either being genuine racists or plants) to leave their gathering.

I saw a video of some tea party members forcing the American Nazi Party out when they showed up wearing the full getup. But, I haven't seen any overall message by the tea party leadership against racism, while I have seen some pretty questionable comments on race by some of them. Seriously, it isn't hard to rid the movement of this whole issue. They just need a couple key speakers at big events to make a section of their speech be against white supremacy... How hard is that? It would easily erase the whole image problem. It should be a no-brainer to do that... But they haven't, and that makes me wonder why.

The tea party IS resonating with people other than whites. There ARE people of other colors that are conservative and agree with the tea parties. Naturally, most people in it are white because most people in this country are white. You see?

Lets play where's waldo. See if you can find the minority:

2010-04-16-TeaPartyCrowd.jpg

I can't find him, but I was never that good at where's waldo. In that picture there should be somewhere around 40 minorities were it representative of the country at large. That's pretty much true of all the tea party pictures I've seen except the "See! Look! We have a black guy!" ones that were released specifically for that purpose...

It's actually kind of an interesting thing. I'm white, but if I were in a big crowd that was that heavily white I would feel very aware of it. It's a VERY strange thing to see in a city. But a lot of tea partiers say they didn't notice it.... It makes me suspect that they mostly come from rural locations and small towns where they're used to everybody being white or something, but it REALLY stands out to somebody from a city...

But, I haven't seen any overall message by the tea party leadership against racism, while I have seen some pretty questionable comments on race by some of them.

Tea Party Patriots on Facebook speaks out against racism. I'm not sure if a tea party speaker HASN'T said that they don't want any racism displayed at their event on stage in front of everyone. I DO know that tea party websites absolutely speak out against it.

Lets play where's waldo. See if you can find the minority:

2010-04-16-TeaPartyCrowd.jpg
[/qoute]

Why do we need to? Aren't we beyond caring about people's skin color? And why is it only skin color that you're interested in? How many of them are teachers, lawyers, conservatives, independents, single, married, former Democrats, former Republicans, mothers, fathers, doctors, etc. etc. etc. Diversity isn't just about skin color. Two people with two different skin colors could have more in common than two people of the same skin color. Just because one is black and one is white doesn't mean they think differently or have different goals. Gah. Aren't we beyond this yet??

I can't find him, but I was never that good at where's waldo. In that picture there should be somewhere around 40 minorities were it representative of the country at large. That's pretty much true of all the tea party pictures I've seen except the "See! Look! We have a black guy!" ones that were released specifically for that purpose...

It's actually kind of an interesting thing. I'm white, but if I were in a big crowd that was that heavily white I would feel very aware of it. It's a VERY strange thing to see in a city. But a lot of tea partiers say they didn't notice it.... It makes me suspect that they mostly come from rural locations and small towns where they're used to everybody being white or something, but it REALLY stands out to somebody from a city...

I suspect many do come from rural locations. However, I'M from a rural location and my town is almost 50% Hispanic with some Africans and Haitians mixed in. So don't assume everyone from a rural location is used to just living around white people. I suspect the people in tea parties don't realize the vast majority of them are white because they don't care.

Last edited:
You make a good point there. It's sad to see America divided by ethnic and racial lines like this.

It's not as divided by ethnic and racial lines as the press and elected politicians would like to have us believe. I'm not a tea partier, but I have several friends who are. I assure you it's not a racially-motivated movement. It's an economically-motivated one, because they are primarily average hard-working, taxpaying individuals who see that our economic and political policies are doomed for failure. They are sick and tired of racial tension and would like for everyone to give up their race-baiting manipulation of the citizens for power, so that they can keep spending our country into oblivion.

Tea Party Patriots on Facebook speaks out against racism. I'm not sure if a tea party speaker HASN'T said that they don't want any racism displayed at their event on stage in front of everyone. I DO know that tea party websites absolutely speak out against it.

The tea party websites are a confusing thing... There are like 20 of them that claim to be the offical tea party, but they post completely contradictory platforms. Some are anti-gay-marriage, some are pro. Some are pro choice, some are pro life. Some are pro the war in Iraq, some against. Some are against racism, most are mute on the subject, and some are racist. There is no real, official, tea party with an official platform, so it's hard to pin them down. I would really like to see the keynote speaker at the next huge tea party even tackle racism head on. I think that would do a lot of good both for the tea party and for the nation as a whole, but on the other hand, not doing it for months on end lends credibility to the negative image they have and empowers white supremacist organizations.

Why do we need to? Aren't we beyond caring about people's skin color?

We're beyond judging people by their skin color. That's not the same thing as failing to notice that a political message is not resonating with people along racial lines. A political party is aiming to represent the entire population of the country, not just one race, so a political party that is only able to draw significant support from people of one race has failed to achieve that.

I suspect many do come from rural locations. However, I'M from a rural location and my town is almost 50% Hispanic with some Africans and Haitians mixed in. So don't assume everyone from a rural location is used to just living around white people. I suspect the people in tea parties don't realize the vast majority of them are white because they don't care.

Have you been to a tea party? Did you notice that it was basically all white?

Last edited:
The tea party websites are a confusing thing... There are like 20 of them that claim to be the offical tea party, but they post completely contradictory platforms. Some are anti-gay-marriage, some are pro. Some are pro choice, some are pro life. Some are pro the war in Iraq, some against. Some are against racism, most are mute on the subject, and some are racist. There is no real, official, tea party with an official platform, so it's hard to pin them down. I would really like to see the keynote speaker at the next huge tea party even tackle racism head on. I think that would do a lot of good both for the tea party and for the nation as a whole, but on the other hand, not doing it for months on end lends credibility to the negative image they have and empowers white supremacist organizations.

Yes, particular tea parties have their own opinions. However, the foundation of all of them is the same: Lower taxes, less spending, reduce the size of government. Period.

We're beyond judging people by their skin color. That's not the same thing as failing to notice that a political message is not resonating with people along racial lines. A political party is aiming to represent the entire population of the country, not just one race, so if it isn't managing that, something is wrong.

It ISN'T just representing one race. You seriously think that ALL tea partiers are white? Seriously?

Have you been to a tea party? Did you notice that it was basically all white?

Yes and yes. I still fail to see why that matters. The entire country is basically all white.

I kinda think it would be good for a full-on Tea Party government to take over and do all those things they say they support. Send us back to the 19th century so everyone remembers just how messed up it was and comes back to their senses.

I kinda think it would be good for a full-on Tea Party government to take over and do all those things they say they support. Send us back to the 19th century so everyone remembers just how messed up it was and comes back to their senses.

Can you explain some more how the movement would take us back to the 19th century?

Yes, particular tea parties have their own opinions. However, the foundation of all of them is the same: Lower taxes, less spending, reduce the size of government. Period.

"Reducing the size of government" is a really nubulous one. That can mean anything. For example, the biggst outlay of budget and the largest staff are both in the military. So does reducing the size of government mean reducing the military? Seems like many people who claim they want smaller government actually favor increasing the staff and budget of the military. Or, does small government mean "a non-invasive" government that doesn't mess with people so much? If so, then you would think that small government means pro-gay-marriage, pro-choice, anti-patriot act, anti-death penalty, pro-separation of church and state, anti-drug war, etc. But most the people who claim they want small government take the opposite position on all those things. So, while I do agree that most everybody in the tea party would agree with the slogan a "reduce the size of government", when you actually get down to the details that is not really a point of agreement amongst them, it's just a case of conflicting agendas that all cling to the same bumper sticker.

It ISN'T just representing one race. You seriously think that ALL tea partiers are white? Seriously?

Not ALL, but way conspicuous under-representation of all races except one. Not to compare it to the KKK (I really don't think they are like the KKK), but even the KKK has a few token minorities. That doesn't mean their agenda represents black people.

Yes and yes. I still fail to see why that matters.

I was just curious. I just am puzzled when people don't notice.

The entire country is basically all white.

Not really. The US is 3/4 white, but not not 'basically all' white by any stretch of the imagination. So, 25% of the country are minorities, but what, maybe 1% of tea parties? It's like if you went to a party and there were only 1/25th of the usual number of men. That would be a party of 98 women and 2 men... Wouldn't that make you wonder what the heck was going on? Same deal with this.

teamosil;1058838609Not really. The US is 3/4 white said:
I don't look at someone of a different race and immediately think they're different than me. I don't talk about my students as "the Hispanic girl" or "the African boy". They're just my students. I don't treat them differently based on their RACE or nationality. I don't look at a church that is mostly black and think there must be some racism against white people going on here since there are barely any white people. And if I hear of one black church being racist against white people, I don't assume that ALL black churches are racist.

I very much dislike the segregation that has continued in this country. It really bugs me during elections when the news stations break down the votes by African Americans, Whites, Christians, etc. Who cares? We're not in little boxes labeled with our races or religions. We're just Americans. If there's a group of people fighting for something I believe in and most of them are Hispanic, I'm going to join them, praise them, stand with them. I don't care if I'm the only white person in the group. They stand for PRINCIPLES. I don't seek out groups that make sure the perfect percentage of each race, religion, political party, etc. are participating. That's not the point. The point is what they stand for, not what color they are.

Stream of consciousness. I'm sure that sounds like rambling. Sorry. :)

tea, your comments about how you're confused when people don't realize that most people in the group are of one race made me think of something.................

I was shopping at a mall with my friend from Boulder, Colorado in college. We went into this clothing store and I was looking for something to try on. She quickly pulled me completely out of the store and said, "Do you realize that everyone in there is black?" I was dumbfounded. I said, "Who cares??" and went back in.

I seriously don't get the constant (involuntary, it seems) noticing of skin color.

Here's a related opinion piece about the Tea Party movement that was on the Foxnews website.
The Tea Party movement makes progressive politicians panic. And recent polls show their concern holds merit.
And that’s why the left is pulling out dirty tricks, such as the "race card," in a frantic effort to cling to power.
A recent poll conducted by the Pew Research Center about public attitudes toward the federal government found that most Americans are now “less positive and more critical of government.”
Specifically, the Pew poll found:
• almost 80 percent of Americans distrust the federal government;
• 52 percent say it is a major problem that the government is too big and powerful;
• 58 percent say that the federal government is interfering too much in state and local matters.
With momentum moving against the policies promoted by President Obama, it’s not surprising to find progressives are desperately trying to discredit the Tea Party.

Allegations of racism and political extremism on the part of Tea Party members, for instance, are cynical acts meant to discredit the movement and scare traditional constituencies, such as blacks.
If anything is hurtful or offensive, it is the pejorative terms commonly used by critics against both white and black Tea Party participants. Whites, for example, are a "racist" and "redneck." Blacks are "tokens," "Uncle Toms" and "race traitors."
The intensity of this rhetoric seems to increase with the expanding influence of the Tea Party movement. Unfortunately, these wholly inaccurate labels may actually be working — preventing minorities from voicing their true opinions and creating a false front for allegations from the left.
Blacks, for instance, have long been a reliable Democratic voting block. Additionally, blacks are proud of Obama as our nation’s first black president, which explains why the Tea Party, which often criticizes Obama, lacks appeal among many blacks.
Finally, some blacks who share Tea Party's feelings likely remain silent to avoid alienation from friends, family and co-workers.
To make sure no one forgets, progressive politicians, such as Rep. Charles Rangel (D-NY), have no problem stepping up the rhetoric against the Tea Party. Rangel recently claimed, “[y]ou don’t see any black folks in these groups. Ever, ever, ever, ever, ever.”

Rather than legitimate concern rooted in facts, Rangel further said Tea Party opposition to Obamacare was instead based simply on “bias” and “prejudice.”
But it’s not just race. On the 15-year anniversary of the Oklahoma City bombing, former president Bill Clinton played the “Timothy McVeigh card” to associate Tea Parties with violence and extremism. During his speech at the Center for American Progress, Clinton warned “the words we use really do matter, because they fall on the serious and the delirious alike. They fall on the connected and the unhinged alike.”

Clinton’s former adviser, Dick Morris, refutes these claims. Morris noted, “According to the killer himself, it was the action of the federal government during the Waco raid that incited him to violence. That the attack on the federal office building took place on the anniversary of the Waco raid underscores the connection.”

Furthermore, Tea Party supporters don’t fit the “unhinged” McVeigh profile. A recent New York Times/CBS News poll found Tea Party supporters tended to be “wealthier and more well-educated than the general public” and “married and over 45.”

Tea Party members, in fact, are driven by policy — not race. Tea Party members counter a government gone wild with spending, massive debt and centralized control that erodes individual liberty.

This noble cause leads progressives to retaliate by throwing mud. In the short term, this strategy may work. Over time, however, blacks and other minorities will see through the fog of words and realize the Tea Party is looking out for them, too.

I don't expect a yes or no answer as my own is not.

I think it will have a positive effect in so far as it is stirring the political pot and a deviation from the norm. I really don't see accomplishing much or gaining widespread support for several reasons.

From what I can see the allure is their outward mission statement and historic roots. Looks good on paper but how is it actually playing out?

I looked into my local (Illinois) tea party groups and was not encouraged. Nearly every one of them was completely absorbed in political bashing. It was pretty much one giant Obama bash. Not that I'm a fan, but what does this accomplish? I had hoped to see more of a grassroots approach, a focus on local government that can be influenced by the individual. Without this approach I see it as merely a waste of time. Another politician will step in Obama's place and little will have changed for the better.

Anyone else a Tea Party member or look into it?

I think the only effect the Tea Party will have is to show Americans that the Left/Right dichotomy we have in politics is a false one, and that there are many different platforms for political thought, and there should be better reforms to allow for those platforms instead of having the winner-take-all voting system that we have forces us to adhere to the two-party system we're stuck with.

I don't look at someone of a different race and immediately think they're different than me. I don't talk about my students as "the Hispanic girl" or "the African boy". They're just my students. I don't treat them differently based on their RACE or nationality.

That's a good thing, and I am by no means trying to imply that you are a racist. I don't really even think the tea party as a whole is racist. And I did not know you are a teacher. I love teachers. It's one of the toughest and most important jobs in the world. Kudos to you for doing that.

I don't look at a church that is mostly black and think there must be some racism against white people going on here since there are barely any white people. And if I hear of one black church being racist against white people, I don't assume that ALL black churches are racist.

Well, that's a very different thing though. A church is there to tend to the spiritual needs of it's own congregation. It isn't seeking control over the whole country, so its message does not really need to represent or appeal to the whole country. A political party is seeking control over the whole country, so its message does need to represent and appeal to the whole country. If there were a nearly all black political party, or a nearly all muslim political party, wouldn't you be concerned if they won elections? It is easy to say "no" because that sounds all post-racial, but in reality, wouldn't that honestly freak you out a bit? It sure would me. I would be very concerned about a political party that for whatever reason only seems to appeal to and be driven by members of a group I am not a member of. Same deal with the tea party.

Black and hispanic people in some ways have radically different experiences in the US from white people. They face racism frequently, the average black child is born into a household with only 7% as much wealth as the household the average white person is born into, they are far more likely to live in urban areas, etc. All those different experiences give them insights and perspectives that tend to be different. If a political platform hardly appeals to anybody who has seen that side of things in this country, then that political platform is missing the boat in one regard or another. It's like if you are proposing an architectural drawing for making an office building, and many of the structural engineers that look at the plans say it looks great, but virtually all of the electrical engineers that look at the plan say it looks like a terrible plan, you would be wise to learn more about the concerns of the electrical engineers and try to come up with a plan that would look good to both groups.

I very much dislike the segregation that has continued in this country. It really bugs me during elections when the news stations break down the votes by African Americans, Whites, Christians, etc. Who cares? We're not in little boxes labeled with our races or religions. We're just Americans.

The problem is that we can't ignore race until racism is gone. If we start trying to pretend race doesn't exist while racism is still running wild, then we just end up giving racism free reign to go wild. The goal, one day, is for people not to really think about race. But you can't just skip past the intermediary step of erasing the racial inequality. We need equality fist, then we can stop talking about it.

tea, your comments about how you're confused when people don't realize that most people in the group are of one race made me think of something.................

I was shopping at a mall with my friend from Boulder, Colorado in college. We went into this clothing store and I was looking for something to try on. She quickly pulled me completely out of the store and said, "Do you realize that everyone in there is black?" I was dumbfounded. I said, "Who cares??" and went back in.

I seriously don't get the constant (involuntary, it seems) noticing of skin color.

I hear you, but seeing that everybody in a single store is one race is a very different experience than seeing a crowd of 100,000 who are all white. They say that the tea party march in washington was the first nearly-all-white march in DC since the civil right act passed... I don't know.. That creeps me out.

Do you eat with that filthy mouth?
If everyone dislikes Obama and not his policies why do the polls continue to give him good likability ratings and poor ratings when it comes to the job he is doing? How did he get voted in? Did those who voted for him suddenly turn racist after he won?

I'm not sure how anything I said was filthy unless, you think disagreeing with you is filthy. I'm not talking about everyone unless, you think everyone is a teabagger. The people in the tea party movement are not the people that voted for President Obama. Additionally, try to focus on the topic. We are talking about the tea bag/party movement, not the opinion the sane part of the country has about President Obama.

I hear you, but seeing that everybody in a single store is one race is a very different experience than seeing a crowd of 100,000 who are all white. They say that the tea party march in washington was the first nearly-all-white march in DC since the civil right act passed... I don't know.. That creeps me out.

I can't really understand why you're creeped out by that. I would be creeped out if I disagreed with what they were promoting (groups who promote hate, abortion, etc.) I'm not creeped out by a group of people who are mostly all the same race. I think that's weird that it creeps you out.

That's the same mantra I ALWAYS see from the teabaggers but I have NEVER seen any real solutions.

The vast majority of the teabaggers are white, it's an outlet for Republican anger, not a search for solutions.

Yes and yes. I still fail to see why that matters. The entire country is basically all white.
The country is about 75% white. If the teabaggers are supposed to be "real America" there should be other people there than white people.

Back
Top Bottom