• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Will The New Batman vs Superman Movie Suck?

Will Batman vs Superman suck?

• Almost certainly a bomb

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • Sort of crappy but passable

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Generally okay but flawed

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • It's going to be great

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Gathomas88

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Sooo... I've been reading up a bit on this movie lately, and I've got to say, my hopes for it have pretty much fallen straight through the floor like a JDAM passing through a rickety old apartment building.

6 Things You Can Likely Expect From Zack Snyder’s ‘Superman & Batman’ Movie

What Kind Of Batman Will Superman Face? 5 Choices For 'Superman & Batman'

It looks like we're going to get no input from either Nolan or Bale, and no connection to the previous Dark Knight Trilogy whatsoever.

I mean... Damn. What could they possibly be thinking? They're basically telling at least 50% (and more likely, something closer to 90% - 100%) of their movie's potential fan base to go **** themselves right from the get go.

No one wants a Batman reboot, especially not a mere 2-3 years after the end of Nolan's trilogy. At this point, anyone with acting chops short of James Dean channeling early era Marlon Brando will be essentially impossible for audiences to take seriously in the role.

Don't get me wrong. The concept has promise. If Man of Steel had turned out to be as great a movie as its trailer had seemed to imply, I might've even been willing to bet that this future film would turn out to be pretty good.

However, the simple fact of the matter is that Man of Steel wasn't "great." It was just sort of "okay." The film's concept and casting were good, but its tone, script, and execution were all middling at best, and stillborn at worst.

I might be wrong (and I pray to God that I am), but given this fact, I get the definite impression that any Snyder directed Batman vs Superman film is likely going to turn out to be a disaster as well. More to the point, it is probably going to suck.

Anyone else have an opinion on the matter?

Last edited:
Hard to say, but I'll definitely be going to see it anyway.

I mean seriously, how exactly am I gonna stay home and pass on Batman vs Superman??

I mean seriously, how exactly am I gonna stay home and pass on Batman vs Superman??

Right on man! After all, its BATMAN! You gotta love him. He's the Dark Knight. :)

Oh, I'll definitely see it. There's no doubt of that. :lol:

I just get the feeling that it might very well be so bad that it winds up killing the franchise. There are a lot of factors working against it.

Oh, I'll definitely see it. There's no doubt of that. :lol:

I just get the feeling that it might very well be so bad that it winds up killing the franchise. There are a lot of factors working against it.

Well, I was personally hoping for something a lot like the graphic novel Dark Knight Returns. Wasn't that the name of it? Where Batman fights superman wearing some sort of exoskeleton?

I don't get the cynicism at this point. Frankly, I highly enjoyed Man of Steel, and really, I am still thinking Snyder can do dark superhero films (I still loved Watchmen). Cautiously optimistic at the very least is my style.

Well, I was personally hoping for something a lot like the graphic novel Dark Knight Returns. Wasn't that the name of it? Where Batman fights superman wearing some sort of exoskeleton?

That was how they originally spun the idea, but they seem to be backing away from that at the moment. I can certainly see why, seeing how they already covered most of that ground in the Dark Knight Rises (old, retired batman coming back to kick ass, take names, and personally rally the city against the forces of chaos, etca).

Now it sounds like they're basically going to try and reintroduce us to batman, which probably means that there's going to be some sort of completely unnecessary origin story involved. :roll:

As I said before, we'll have to wait and see what happens, but I'm far from optimistic.

edit:

Have you seen the Dark Knight Returns cartoon? It was pretty awesome.

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 1 (2012)

I don't get the cynicism at this point. Frankly, I highly enjoyed Man of Steel, and really, I am still thinking Snyder can do dark superhero films (I still loved Watchmen). Cautiously optimistic at the very least is my style.

It struck me as being kind of a slow and over-bloated mess, to be honest.

Different strokes, I suppose. :shrug:

Last edited:
My opinion here is strong so take it for what it's worth.

Based on how bad Man of Steel was I could see the project metaphorically taking a giant dump all over us (the audience) by taking advantage of the two characters brand power to reach into our wallets and screw us for already exorbitant ticket prices while delivering a mediocre at best, rubbish summer Blockbuster.

Overall audiences these days will only go to the films for movies they feel are worth the crazy prices, no matter what they do with it, they know they'll make the money.

"Batman vs. Superman" has Batman and Robin (George Clooney, Uma Thurman flick) written all over for me until it proves otherwise.

The task for making the movie make sense, stay grounded and ultimately not be a giant **** up is a task of monumental proportions... Nolan failed to deliver with Man of Steel and throwing Batman into the mix without Christian Bale, who we've all come to see as the Batman over the years, without a solid foundation of a Superman film is very likely lead to disaster.

Short of the recent batman films, the DC animation department tends to put out a superior product when compared to their feature films

Short of the recent batman films, the DC animation department tends to put out a superior product when compared to their feature films

Really enjoyed some of those, top notch stuff.

Under the red hood.

Apocalypse.

Gotham Knight

JL: New Frontier

JL: Doom

JL: Crisis on Two Earths

Superman/Batman: Public enemies.

These really stood out to me.

Batman: The dark knight returns I was a little bit torn on.

I liked some of it, but I felt too much of it was just a little bit out there for me. Batman having a bunch of thugs make a gang for him... yeah not so much for me.

I loved the Dark Knight trilogy with Bale and Nolan.

I don't want that thing anywhere NEAR the likes of Superman or the JLA that's to come aftere it.

They just don't mesh. The attempt to be a hyper realistic superhero universe in The Dark Knight trilogy is not going to work with an amazonian woman, a martian, power rings for galactic police, and a guy who can fly and shoot lazers out of his eyes because of the sun.

I'd actually rather they go in a different direction. I'd love to see them get a slightly older actor for batman rather than a fresh young guy face. And I'd rather they ignore the whole "origin" notion of Batman. It's Batman. We all know Batman. We all understand Batman is bruce wayne and became Batman because of the tragic death of his parents. He's one of those characters in our cultural mythology that at this point doesnt' really NEED to be explained to us anymore. Bats can get interjected into the story rather easily, and I think would work better if for once it's more BATMAN that we see and less BRUCE WAYNE.

I do agree, I wish they weren't doing this so shortly after Nolan's trilogy ended...to give some breathing room. But I am actually fully on board with not seeing this basically have to fit into the Nolan Batman universee.

The problem I have with any and all superman movies (and comics) is that it seems superman can't even remember the full extent of his powers. Dude can fly and move at the speed of light.

Yet he has a hard time defeating Lex Luther, or Batman? He can literally search the planet, find them both, kill them, fly to the moon, burn in "Superman is your god" with heat vision, then back to earth again, before either Lex or Batman have had a chance to "shake it" after their morning piss.

"Produced by the man who brought you the Dark Knight trilogy....

Featuring Batman, but not that one."

Yeah, it's a very messy proposition. Could set up a cinematic Crisis on Infinite Earths down the road with this amount of brand confusion though.

Really enjoyed some of those, top notch stuff.

The FlashPoint paradox was really great

I liked some of it, but I felt too much of it was just a little bit out there for me. Batman having a bunch of thugs make a gang for him... yeah not so much for me.

batman has always been a bit of an uncompromising fanatic, with the means to achieving his ends mattering little

The FlashPoint paradox was really great

batman has always been a bit of an uncompromising fanatic, with the means to achieving his ends mattering little

WHAT!!! :shock:

Batman is the ONE "superhero" who has no super-powers. He is a MAN just like you or I, and he has a MISSION! :sword:

No one puts down the Dark Knight!!!! :2mad: Them's fightin words....LOL :tongue4:

WHAT!!! :shock:

Batman is the ONE "superhero" who has no super-powers. He is a MAN just like you or I, and he has a MISSION! :sword:

No one puts down the Dark Knight!!!! :2mad: Them's fightin words....LOL :tongue4:

I always thought that was the underlying theme of batman: the uncompromising fanatic

I always thought that was the underlying theme of batman: the uncompromising fanatic

So? I'm an uncompromising fanatic when it comes to Batman!! A pox on you compromising indifferent people!!! :2mad: LOL

Yo, I'm going to watch it no matter what. But, using any measure of historical attempts at batman or superman movies, I'm not expecting anything except a fail squared.

Yo, I'm going to watch it no matter what. But, using any measure of historical attempts at batman or superman movies, I'm not expecting anything except a fail squared.

You didn't like ANY of the prior Batman movies? NONE! :(

You didn't like ANY of the prior Batman movies? NONE! :(

No, the batman movies all sucked...but it has been casting. Not one good batman. Come to think of it, both of the new superman movies sucked. Spiderman was awesome with Toby McGuire, but I couldn't bring myself to go see the ones with that nut job Sally Field. And they started over?! WTF!!

no, the batman movies all sucked...but it has been casting. Not one good batman. Come to think of it, both of the new superman movies sucked. Spiderman was awesome with toby mcguire, but i couldn't bring myself to go see the ones with that nut job sally field. And they started over?! Wtf!!

and no mary jane! How in the hell can there be no mary jane! That's the whole point of spiderman is the conflict of being the hero and his love life!!!

No, the batman movies all sucked...but it has been casting. Not one good batman. Come to think of it, both of the new superman movies sucked. Spiderman was awesome with Toby McGuire, but I couldn't bring myself to go see the ones with that nut job Sally Field. And they started over?! WTF!!

Dude...

The first time I saw Batman was on TV, and it was on Channel 9 in NYC on Sundays when they played old serials like Flash Gordon. I saw the Batman serials from the 1940's and it was awesome. Then there were the Adam West versions including full-length movies which were campy-hilarious. Then came the two Tim Burton movies which were also creepy-campy. The Joel Schumacher follow-ups were so-so. However, the Dark Knight series with Christian Bale were GOOD!

As for Spiderman? The three Toby McGuire ones were...meh. Only the most recent one "The Amazing Spider-man" was okay.

I loved the Dark Knight trilogy with Bale and Nolan.

I don't want that thing anywhere NEAR the likes of Superman or the JLA that's to come aftere it.

They just don't mesh. The attempt to be a hyper realistic superhero universe in The Dark Knight trilogy is not going to work with an amazonian woman, a martian, power rings for galactic police, and a guy who can fly and shoot lazers out of his eyes because of the sun.

I'd actually rather they go in a different direction. I'd love to see them get a slightly older actor for batman rather than a fresh young guy face. And I'd rather they ignore the whole "origin" notion of Batman. It's Batman. We all know Batman. We all understand Batman is bruce wayne and became Batman because of the tragic death of his parents. He's one of those characters in our cultural mythology that at this point doesnt' really NEED to be explained to us anymore. Bats can get interjected into the story rather easily, and I think would work better if for once it's more BATMAN that we see and less BRUCE WAYNE.

I do agree, I wish they weren't doing this so shortly after Nolan's trilogy ended...to give some breathing room. But I am actually fully on board with not seeing this basically have to fit into the Nolan Batman universee.

I agree that the tone would clash a bit, and that it's probably better to keep Nolan-verse Batman away from this film so that he doesn't "go down with the ship," so to speak, if it winds up being a flop.

However, I would point out that Man of Steel was already pretty dark as far as tone was concerned, so things might not have been totally incompatible. MoS was honestly a lot darker and drearier than any film about a gravity defying human alien in bright blue and red rubber underwear really had any business being. lol

That being said, though; I've got to admit, the article's suggestion that Nikolaj Walder-Cousteau or Richard Armitage be cast in the role was kind of intriguing.

You can't tell me that seeing Jamie Lannister or Thorin Oakenshield as Batman wouldn't be kind of awesome. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom